Dragster 650 Build Progress 2#

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

newjack66

Dragster 650 Build Progress 2#

Post by newjack66 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:10 am

Hi all

Just thought I'd post a couple of picks & an update.

Looking at mounting the tank & seat mount this week. Also cutting down the rear guard and making a mini sissy bar to mount rear brake and number plate. Just got my new bars witch are LA Choppers 10" 'Bourban' bars similar to Biltwell 'Frisco' ones.

I put 3" fork extenders on the front to see what it might look like. Won't know how it'll ride of course till everything's running. but I like the high end look and anyway it takes about 25 mins to put the stoke extenders back.

Don't know if I'll lower the back but I'll wait till the tanks mounted to see. I have a New Old Stock Mikuni HS 40 coming from the US with air cleaner and custom two into one manifold from BIP Industries. It was a really good price and has allowed money into other areas.

I was going to have all the wiring (as much as I can anyway) run into the tubes but, as Brett advised me for my metric, better to have as much of the harness intact where possible. So making it all look neat is going to be a mission. I rebuilt the the forks, have a small speedo to be mounted, have to relocate the ignition key, mount the fuel pump paint the frame ..... you get the picture LOL ....

Things that have held me back are parts from the US but everything is almost here so now the fun begins. I'm still agonising over the 21" front but I'll get it running and see what it's like with the 19"s and fork extension.

Should have another update in a few weeks.

Cheers

Darren.
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Youngblood

Re: Dragster 650 Build Progress 2#

Post by Youngblood » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Wow...... looking good already, as I said many times the 21" front wheel (which I personally love) is purely a visual thing you either like it or you don't. I have never had a handling issue with a 21" front wheel, for me personally they are no better or worse than a smaller diameter front wheel. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.
8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Youngblood wrote:Wow...... looking good already, as I said many times the 21" front wheel (which I personally love) is purely a visual thing you either like it or you don't. I have never had a handling issue with a 21" front wheel, for me personally they are no better or worse than a smaller diameter front wheel. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.
8) 8) 8)
Yep will do. I do like the 21 " but I think that will eventually come down the line. :)
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:58 pm

it does sit up a bit which is ok if you are tall enough. If you couldn't have gotten some extra rake in it while redoing the backbone, it would have improved stability and handling. However even three inches will add a bit more trail and improve stability. Getting it down a bit with rake would both lower the centre of gravity and add trail.

Is the rear suspension staying stock or are you dropping the rear a bit? With the higher exhausts you should be able to get it a bit lower. I've lowered softtails by cutting a bit out of the top swing arm rails and then folded the bottom up to meet it. Works really well.

Definitely looking tidier than stock.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:40 am

Prof wrote:it does sit up a bit which is ok if you are tall enough. If you couldn't have gotten some extra rake in it while redoing the backbone, it would have improved stability and handling. However even three inches will add a bit more trail and improve stability. Getting it down a bit with rake would both lower the centre of gravity and add trail.

Is the rear suspension staying stock or are you dropping the rear a bit? With the higher exhausts you should be able to get it a bit lower. I've lowered softtails by cutting a bit out of the top swing arm rails and then folded the bottom up to meet it. Works really well.

Definitely looking tidier than stock.
Hi Prof

I'm 6'4 and the front sits nice for me. I've got about an 1.5 inches in the rear to play with, so I think I will lower it. I had a long discussion with Brett (hand made Vintage) over changing the rake.

Initially I wanted the single backbone and extend the front tubes up. But he suggested that with keeping the rake stock, opening up the front by relocating the ignition and cutting the two factory supports, then mounting a sporty tank on the backbone, visually it would give me the high tank/front look without having to reconfigure everything .... and not attract unwanted attention from the 'constabulary' .....

The 3 inch extensions are there 'for now'. I'm not totally committed to them but I'll leave them on, mount the tank this week and stand back and look. For me it all comes down to the tank, seat and gap in the front.

Sorry about the quality of the pics (flash won't work) but I rested the tank on and mounted the bars as well just to get a feel of the look, keep in mind I still have to shorten the rear guard as well.

Keep you posted.

Darren

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:03 pm

You are a foot taller than me so that makes height less important, worth dropping the rear end a bit if the budget allows.

Don't know what the constabulary over there are like, but even if outside the 550 rule, we don't get any interest from them in SA, so we are quite lucky atm.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Beaut job, newjack, looks really comfy and I like the styling so far.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Bearcx wrote:Beaut job, newjack, looks really comfy and I like the styling so far.
Thanks Bearcx for the kind comments.

I'm been going through the net and looking at pics of late 60s early 70s choppers, the higher front and frame off the ground is appealing to me.

It's my first build and it's been a steep learning curve. Already there are things I would do a little different. Maybe on the next one LOL!

I also just bought a NOS 1.85 x 21 TAKASAGO RIM~48 Spoke rim off ebay from the US, $105.00 all up including shipping. Dam hard to find a 21 inch 48 spoke rim ...... CHEAP! So using my centre and ordering the spokes from Japan, the 21 in NOW on the cards!

I'm also looking at a 70s orange for the bike. Similar to mandarin red/orange the monaros had back in the day.

Cheers

Darren

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm also looking at a 70s orange for the bike. Similar to mandarin red/orange the monaros had back in the day.
All you need to do is go to a Automotive paint retailer and get them to mix up the colour you want, easy.
Youngblood

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14 am

Youngblood wrote:
All you need to do is go to a Automotive paint retailer and get them to mix up the colour you want, easy.
Yep going to a local guy next week even does custom paint in cans !!

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”