Wiring sizes...

wiring diagrammes, how to's etc
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Wiring sizes...

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Wiring sizes...

Wiring sizes illustrated below...
Black...10amp (wire approx .9mm diameter)
Red/yellow... 15amp (wire approx 1.4mm diameter)
Red... 50amp (wire approx 3mm diameter)
Note... diameters are wire only and does not include plastic sheath

I use 10amp and preferably 15amp wire through out bike. I say "Depends", because I use old car harnesses for their myriad of colour combinations and the wire size varies. Anything less than 10amp is too small and fragile.
10 amp wire is satisfactory for general harness, but 15amp has the benefit of extra strength aso there is less chance of the wire breaking at joints. Handle bar wiring is better at 10amp just to reduce bulk especially if you are running wires through the bars. Same goes for tell tale lights and guages.

I use 50amp from regulator to battery and 50amp from battery to ignition switch.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

shane

Post by shane » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:46 pm

going to fully rewire me 450 while engine out for rings.
looking at running it all through frame for tidier look.
would trailor wire,5 or 7 core,be surfice to handle load? :idea: (lights,blinkers,etc),as this already comes pre-shrink wraped together,and available in a vary of lenghts from most auto shops.
of cause i know i'll need heavy cable for battery leads,hoping to use old ones.
goals always achieved,but not always the right ones set.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:24 pm

A couple of suggestion for you Shane...

If trailer wire is not cheap and nasty it should be all right. Just go in and get them to trim a tiny bit of plastic off the end of a wire and check it against measurements I've put up here.

Running through frame... Leave plenty of slack at all ends in case an end cames adrift and needs replacing... and it will eventually. Leave slack for steering to turn and for higher handle bars... unless you are sure yours are going to suit you.

Remove any rough edges on holes in frame and possibly use an extra piece of heat shrink. Any holes you drill should allow wires to move through them ie not be jammed tight. If you have to weaken your smaller frame tubing (eg rear end) because the holes have to be too large, don't do it.

On tail lights and indicators, it is worth running an earth wire from them back to battery earth... after a couple of years of riding, things get rusty and dusty and earthing can then become iffy.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

74chopper

Post by 74chopper » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:57 pm

ive got 10amp on everything except ignition, i have have 30amp, only because i run 2 wires from the ignition switch... all other wiring goes through a 10amp fuse (i mean ALL), and ALL are earthed directly to battery, not to engine or frame etc... remember that i only have headlight, tail light, horn, coils and EI... no electric start.
Cheers Rob
750/4 choppers Rock

Return to “Wiring your chopper...”