Bike Trailering

A place to put pics of wild cars you own or come across as well as discussing other stuff of particular (legal & legitimate) interest...
RickB56

Bike Trailering

Post by RickB56 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Anyone know the wheel base of a stock '80 shovelhead? Anyone know if a stock shovelhead will fit on a 4 x 6 trailer with the gates down? Anyone in melbourne have a bike trailer that could be borrowed for a day?

Happosai

Re: Bike Trailering

Post by Happosai » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Rick

From memory it will fit in the 6x4 trailer

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:17 pm

G,day RB56 -my 85 needed a friendly lift once or twice when i first got it (its mostly sorted now) and i put it in a 7x4 trailer once...and i had to put it in, on an angle and the tailgate only just closed/or i held it up as close as possible (cant remember) but thats a 7x4.....so a bit of c channel bolted on for some overhang, or lift the front end over to sit in the A frame/drawbar area.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks guys. Have to pick one up from customs. Fluffer reckons just rock up and drive it home. Any thoughts on that? Have to have faith that it will start of course.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:47 am

No advise re;riding it home. But would be cool if its still got US plates; whatever you do PICS Please.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 am

I have a bike trailer you can borrow Rick. call me on 0433 781 666
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 am

Rick what was the process you went through to buy, inspect, ship, and get it in???

Hope she is ready to ride!

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Yeah Cromag, riding it home sounds like a kick in the bum!

Thanks Ollie, I will give you a call as the day gets closer. It was scheduled to arrive the 5th, but was notified today that it has slipped to the 11th.

Currently has 18" black apes.

I bought the bike, 1980 Shovelhead, off Ebay. Did not really do any inspection before hand. Well I guess if you count asking Brassy, "What do you think of this"? as an inspection, then it was inspected. Got Brassy's stamp of approval, so did a buy it now. I got a good feeling from the guy, who sent me photos of the bike from his phone while his wife was said to be labor in the hospital. My kinda guy! He also sent me copies of his driving license and the title.
A bit of history on the bike I guess. The title is from Florida and is in the name of Choppers Inc and signed by William Lane. Was told Billy was building it for his dad, before his unfortunate turn in life. I got it from a guy in Texas who had not re registered it before his wife made him sell it.
Brassy arranged to get the bike trucked from Texas to Santa Barbara, where Keith took it in for a while, re installed the front brakes which had been taken off and delivered it to the freight agent in LA. A big "You da Man" to Brassy and Keith for all their help.

Also bought an 85 FXSB about the same time, which followed the same scenario, except it was in Northern CA. It is on it's way to Brisbane for a bit of spit and polish by Brassy.

Neither are here yet, so not sure how it will go on this side of the pond. Will let you know.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:30 pm

I chased down a more recent photo. A bit of work in progress with the previous owner.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Looks like a nice shovel..

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 am

Ol Fart wrote:I have a bike trailer you can borrow Rick. call me on 0433 781 666
Rick, we take my ute with a spare battery, tire inflater and oils, Grab Ol Farts trailer, try and get the bike going. If it goes we drop the trailer back off with Ol' Fart (beer break) Drop the bike off at your place (beer break) and start working on what is needed for rego.

I ya worried bout the rozzers, you can get temp 3rd party certificate from Vicroads which allows you on the road legally.

Just ain't a prob, just ley me know and we will sort it.
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 am

Don't forget the break fluid, I think that gets drained too.

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Here I was all resigned to trailering it home and Fluffer reignites the passion to ride it instead. Will give it some thought and write to the shipper to see what all he did in preparation to ship. Hmmm..maybe trailer it to Ollie's, get it running and then ride it home. Huh Huh Huh............... :wink:

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:48 pm

There will be plenty of time to ride it. As exciting as it may be, it may be prudent to give it a good inspection before putting your life at risk we all know what strange thing we find POs have done to to our rides before we get em…………….Then again if we were worried about safety we wouldn't ride at all.

Return to “Other stuff...”