Where is the worth?

A place to put pics of wild cars you own or come across as well as discussing other stuff of particular (legal & legitimate) interest...
Kerr1988

Where is the worth?

Post by Kerr1988 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:19 pm

I've just purchased a 68 t120 bonnie. she is in quite nice condition and if i were to move her on as is i could probably make some money considering the price i payed for her.
While staring at the bike picturing all the creative potential of making it my own, it got me thinking - where is the worth in this bike?
My question is; where is the true value in these old motorcycles? am i right in thinking as untouched as possible is better or does reconditioning an old engine and building a custom motorcycle around it with lovely new chrome and components give it just as much value to the greater world?
Yew!

neale

Re: Where is the worth?

Post by neale » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 pm

If the question is "how can I make money off this", a well restored version of a classic bike would probably make you the most money, personally, the question of "worth" has nothing to do with the question of how much money you can make off something, I'd get more "worth" from building something that fit my vision of what I want, which would worth bugger all to someone else as it ain't likely to match their vision, and certainly wouldn't make me bundles of money, but to eachv his own, that ain't what I'm looking for.

FWIW

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

xsive

Post by xsive » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:42 pm

guess the question is do ya rat it out and make it yours .the worth is in the beholder (you)and what you see that you will get out of it will be priceless .If the question is how much you can make from it the answer is very simple dont touch it or just restore to someone elses vision of owning a triumph but honestly if it is that good a bike ya asking the wrong folk cause were just going to tell ya std sucks
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 pm

yep.....we sure will....

if its about $ you in the wrong place
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:27 pm

If your in it for the cash a standard bike will sell better than one modified as you modify it to suit you and that means others might not fit the bike or like your taste.
As mentioned if thats your game your on the wrong forum
Scouser

KBG

Post by KBG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 pm

If you have a nice 68 bonnie you would be a fool to chop it, there are plenty of piles of crap to cut up.
Just my opinion though go your hardest you paid for it!
some meaningless dribble

ol_750

Post by ol_750 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm

On your tombstone is your begining date ... a dash - ..& your end date , what you do with that " - " is what is remembered as your worth.
So do what YOU want to do & enjoy it.
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

78gold

Post by 78gold » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:49 pm

If you want to make dollars, sell it at a profit and invest in condominiums (Even if ya dont use em Rocky)

If you want a chopper, chop it and enjoy it.

Its your move now, whatever you do just dont stress it.
Nigel
78 Gold

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:33 pm

I have noticed the price of chopped trumpy's and sportsters is now far higher than the price of a decent condition stocker, which saddens me a bit I like them both. if you want to revert it to a stock bike at a later date after (chopping ) go a bolt on rear end and keep the original in some dusty corner of the shed. You wont be the first guy to do that !
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

Return to “Other stuff...”