Bar height - Rideability

A place to put pics of wild cars you own or come across as well as discussing other stuff of particular (legal & legitimate) interest...
neale

Bar height - Rideability

Post by neale » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 pm

OK, weather here sucks today so I ain't got much to do other than mull over what I wanna do with the build.

One thing which I got a reminder of recently via a comment on another forum is the rideability of high bars after a while, this particularly applies to me as low blood pressure means that if I keep my arms up for a while, my hands keep goin' to sleep.

Anyway I WAS planning on these lane splitter bars as I thought they'd go well.

Looking the part is all well and good, but if you can't ride it more than around town, what's the point?

So now I think I'll be going with some dirt bars (without the brace as I don't plan to be jumping, so the bars should be strong enough by themselves)

At about 1/2 the rise, they should do the job better (for me, anyway)

Does anyone have any input on whether or not high bars create issues on longer rides, and/or input on things that cause issues, riding with low blood pressure?

Ta,

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

Tex

Re: Bar height - Rideability

Post by Tex » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Neale, You've seen my Red bike. 12" Apes and 4" Risers. I NEVER have any trouble with arms, hands, etc. And, as you know, I ride it long distance, but my height is the saviour.

As long as your hand height is at, or below, your shoulder height as you sit on the bike, you should be OK. The heart is not trying to pump blood uphill at that height.

Low blood pressure? Sheeet. You MUST be a COOL dude??

________
Tex.
Tex
(Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional)

neale

Post by neale » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Tex wrote:Neale, You've seen my Red bike. 12" Apes and 4" Risers. I NEVER have any trouble with arms, hands, etc. And, as you know, I ride it long distance, but my height is the saviour.

As long as your hand height is at, or below, your shoulder height as you sit on the bike, you should be OK. The heart is not trying to pump blood uphill at that height.

Low blood pressure? Sheeet. You MUST be a COOL dude??

________
Tex.
Ta Tex,

Yeah, rool cool, NOT ;^)

(Actually to be literal, yes, I also have low body temp due to the blood pressure)

All sorts of fun from legs going to sleep when you're sittin' on the floor for a while so to can't walk when you first stand up, to gettin' reminded by the doctor that you're at HIGH risk for frostbite when you're heading off for months trekkin' in the Himalayas, to repeatedly passin' out and tumbling down flights of concrete stairs as a teenager goin' through a growth spurt because the blood just wasn't gettin' to the head (the top one), I just tell myself that the heart ain't workin' too hard (obviously), so it should just keep goin' for ages like a low stressed noddy car engine ;^)

As you may recall, I'm close to, if not your height, and most of that is body length (ridiculous to have duck's disease @ 6'2";^), so that may be to my benefit for once.

Thanks Tex,

Neale
Neale

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:11 pm

I have 12" Apes and 6" Risers on my bike and I have no problems with my arms or hands. At first I used to get a sore lower back quite quickly but after a week or two it wasn't a problem anymore and nowadays I can go on long rides without any problems. I agree with what Tex said
As long as your hand height is at, or below, your shoulder height as you sit on the bike, you should be OK
this is what I have read in a magazine, heard from guys and now from my own experience. As far as your personal situation is concerned because of your low blood pressure you will have to experiment for yourself to find out. You may be able to borrow some bars or find a cheap second hand set. Good luck 8)
Youngblood

Pygmy

Post by Pygmy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:55 pm

neal, a good pair of xr Harley bars very close to what you have put up will give you excellent handling and control, the rule of thumb has always been to have a slight bend in your arms and that takes all the soreness out of your wrists and shoulders over a long distance, and I really cant see a small pair of apes causing you any real trouble.just remember what ever you decide on make sure you are sitting in a comfortable position,especialy for long rides. cheers pygmy
Two speeds... flat out and stop

neale

Post by neale » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks guys,

The Lane Splitters aren't THAT much, I could just get a set over (as well as the other bars) and see how they go.

Ta,

Neale
Neale

Return to “Other stuff...”