Honda 4 Chopper

A place to list any choppers and related items you find on EBay, for general information and discussion re value, bidding etc
hemitech01

Post by hemitech01 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 am

Ebay gives the seller the option to offer ended auctions to the next highest bidder and so on in cases such as this.
Was everyone who bid on this bike non genuine or dare i say there has been some dummy bidding going on here? I could be wrong but it sure as hell looks like it.
This is becoming a regular occurance on ebay, people are just getting mates to inflate prices in the hope of some poor fool taking the bait at the spur of the moment. Impulse bidding and buying at auction is the real estate agents best friend.

78gold

Chopper

Post by 78gold » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Here goes again,
see how I go this time.lol.
Nigel
78 Gold

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Good luck Nigel let's hope you can win the Auction this time and at something reasonable this time.
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Nigel

If you have been emailing him, and he seems genuine, why don't you just offer him your best bid, saying thats it and see if he takes it.

If he was inflating the price he will likely know what its really worth, and half an unreasonable amount is better than all of nothing :D

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Oh by the way when I buy stuff off ebay I snipe it.

If its something I really want - like must have, I wait till the last few minutes of the auction before you do anything, there is no point bidding half way through an auction, all your doing is allowing the auto bids to ramp up.

In the last 10 minutes of the auction I watch, waiting with two screens open, one set up with my best offer (the highest I will go) and another watching the bidding, you will often see activity in the last few minutes so you can see if your best offer is being passed if it hasn't then with about 20 to 30 seconds left I press confirm on my best bid, it checks all the auto bids that are under yours and sets the price just above the last best auto offer. (you may only need one window now because from memory the time and max bid auto refresh).

Doing it at the last 20 seconds doesnt allow someone esle watching it (with a lower best offer) time to re submit another offer, so as long as its within your limit, it's yours - without being inflated by false bids.

If someone else has a higher best offer, well you miss out, but you havent gone over what you were prepared to pay so you havent done any impulse bumping of the price and gone past your best offer.

Another hint, most people think in round numbers $5:00, $1000:00 $2200:00 so when you set your maximum bid, go off round, say if your prepared to go to $2000:00, put your highest offer at say $2011:75, because someone else may have put in an auto bid earlier than you, and if the final bids are equal, it goes to the person who put their bid in first.

But if the other bid was $2000:00 and you put in $2011:75 you will get it for say $2002.

As some auctions end at all sorts of weird times and your not overly concerend to get the item, then put your best bid in early and let the auction run its course, if you get it well and good, if you don't you havent had to be up at 2:00am to see it end.

I think ebay has an auto sniping tool even - but I'm not sure.

Hap

Humpty74

Post by Humpty74 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:18 pm

bike has been re-listed:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 838wt_1141

surprisingly, the $11k + bidder didn't cough up.......
Lead me, follow me, or get out of the way.

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 pm

Very interesting way the frame has been built/gusseted.

Best of luck Nigel

Hap

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 pm

I was in an action for a nice 2 door 58 Chev coupe before I got my tourer, would have much preferred the coupe as betta family car plus I was born in a 48 Chev in 58 so appropriate car for me! Rang the guy & ask questions & bidded, rang & asked some more questions & thought I was gunna get it at a good price just to have him pull it from action a little while before the end because apparently sold elsewhere, was I peeved!!! If he had an offer on it why didn't he tell me so I could make an higher offer on the phone or just offer it at the price he wanted? I was prepared to pay more & would have made a deal if I had known. :(

78gold

Email

Post by 78gold » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:52 pm

I emailed him a couple of days ago ( not through ebay) but no reply yet.
Will keep posted.
Regards
Nigel
Nigel
78 Gold

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Went for $6200. Did you get it Nigel?

78gold

Chopper

Post by 78gold » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:26 pm

No missed it I was up till 4500 + but was a bit worried as have emailed the guy with a couple of questions and no reply.
Also weighed up against getting my trumpy finished.
I still think a good buy if as described.
Nigel
78 Gold

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:10 am

Yeah I was drooling over it too. But being out of work for 8 months sort of limits your ability to do anything but drool. Would have been a labor of love to restore it. Forget the sellers concept of "patina". Rust and dull chrome is just that.

Return to “Items on EBay...”