What tools do you carry??

Made up a special tool? Need advice on what tool? This is the forum for it...
pommychopper
Site Admin

What tools do you carry??

Post by pommychopper » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:38 pm

Some of us may carry next to nothing, relying only on the hours spent in the shed as proof of a totally reliable bike!! :o

I carry fuses, points and condensors allen keys and some luck, as so far i've never needed any of them.

What tools, spares do you carry??

Or to put it another way to you Harley owners.......how many semi's full of spares/tow trucks follow you on a ride out???

Cheers all. :D

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:57 pm

In five years of riding the shovel almost daily and including some weekend and week trips, I've only needed a fuse for lighting sircuit So don't knock us HD blokes too much pc... plus I've had three punctures, but with tubleless have always got where I had to go, even if a little slower til the next servo... Had trouble with the Harley on way to Steve's, earlier this year, but that was a internal battery fault and an oiled plug.

Re tools... I do carry a spanner to fit every bolt (including removing heads, barrels clutch, but not front compensating sprocket... that's a rattle gun job)... carry over from riding English bikes I suppose! Actually just kidding, my 1952 500AJ, one of my first bikes did need tools to be carried, but aside from a few loosened nuts on long trips I've had little trouble... and 80's bikes and later are pretty reliable if regularly maintained.

A drive shaft pin on my 1962 BMW sheared once... very embarrassing, and I also blew a head gasket on the WLA. Seized a gudgeon on my Sprint having a race having forgotten to put new oil in after an oil change!... these are the only 3 times I remember needing a tow.

I do carry a spare throttle cable, clutch lever (in case I drop the bike) (and clutch cable until I put a new one in), points and condenser, plugs and fuses, but as said before have only needed fuses on the Harley.

I carry a 10' length of 8mm rope under Harley seat and in the last couple of years have towed one guy and tow started another. Towing was not uncommen in the seventies though, as a lot of the young blokes then knew very little about maintaining their bikes. Ducatis back then had a bad habit of shedding pieces.

Mates from SA, travelling over to Bathurst one year put a new piston in a trumpy with tools they carried in a servo parking area.

See"Fits 'n Bits... general... for further suggestions on tool kit for short and long trips.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

VMAX
Interests: Choppers, Classic Bikes, Home Recording Studio/Sound Engineering and Playing in a Rock Band. Long Range Target Rifle Shooting.

Post by VMAX » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:41 pm

Depends if I 'plan' a trip or not.
Nowadays for most runs I dont even have a back pack..I carry a mobile phone and the RACq number...

But when planning.. to go for a long run I pack a toolkit including:
'a' sparkplug, WD40 (old habit s from the damp country), largish adjustable spanner, a select allen key or two, plug socket, ratchet, 10, 12, 14mm sockets, 10, 12mm open ended spanner, star and flat head screwdriver, small pliers, insulating tape, knife and rag to wipe hands.
I have also been known to carry tire weld..

But... the last time we were together on a run I discovered even my factory toolkit was er.. missing and had to borrow from Gerry or SGT I think.. to 'fix' my rear guard :oops:
But as it turned out an empty coke bottle stuffed below the seat did the trick (reminds me that I still have to fix that properly!!!)
So really a few tools and some imagination..can sometimes get you out of a hole.

Fixed my Trumpy 'trick box' dymano/magnito with an ice cream stick once.. and it got me home :roll:
BUILDING BUDGET CHOPPERS AND RUSTY RATS SINCE 1983
..One Day I'll get it right!..

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:42 am

I carry 10,12,14mm ring/open combo spanners or equivilent imperial if on more exotic machinary, pliers, electrical tape, buck knife..on the sporty i carry a spare earth strap (well i did until i replaced it with a jap bike one)...sometimes points and cigarette papers (you can use em to help set ya points or give you something to do while you wait for help)......thats about it.

If i was headed oputback i might take a tube and levers, but probaly only for the drive wheel.

best fix yet, broken earth strap, a twig and a broken peg found on the ground, wedged between rear cylinder head and battery earth cable....Ive got real good at camoflage as ive had to leave the oddbike on the side of a road to hitch home and get a recovery vehicle, these days id rent one locally. When batterties or alts, regs and rects go south, all you can do is truck it, even if you had spares youd have to catch the problem before it shut you down.....

Skip
Interests: My beautiful wife...our dogs..shooting..motor bikes..Aussie Rules [ Richmond Tigers ]..tattoos

Prepared!

Post by Skip » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Well all I can say is I travel prepared ..a good range of spanners, your normal pieces of wire, tape, cable ties,tyre valves, small torch etc, have one of those little compressed bottle kits for punctures [look like diving tanks ..3"]..carried it for over 10 years, hope it will still works!! On big trips carry oil, small wd40 & miniature jack..sounds a lot but with saddlebags doesn't take up that much room..will be a different story when the Trump Bobber is on the road..just cross my fingers :lol:
Catch 'ya Skip
Decide..go for it..stuff 'em

sks

Post by sks » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:01 pm

Last edited by sks on Wed May 26, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

VMAX
Interests: Choppers, Classic Bikes, Home Recording Studio/Sound Engineering and Playing in a Rock Band. Long Range Target Rifle Shooting.

Post by VMAX » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:39 pm

latex gloves..???
Er..please explain in 100 words or less, remembering that this is a G rated site. :?
BUILDING BUDGET CHOPPERS AND RUSTY RATS SINCE 1983
..One Day I'll get it right!..

sks

Post by sks » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:44 pm

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:00 am

I watched in astonishment theother day as a mate pulled on his latex gloves and proceeded to adjust the chain. What a great idea... saves detergent and water I carry.

Re first adid kit... carry somt cord and a triangular bandage, a crepe bandage and some antiseptic, for grazes and busted bones.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

shane

Post by shane » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:46 pm

think we ALL carry the basics,and once u know ur bikes temprament,varied neccessadies.
on a run,would share load between mates,so no one needs to carry the same items.
goals always achieved,but not always the right ones set.

Tbear

Post by Tbear » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:55 pm

once i sit on me bike no room for tools :lol: :lol: never carried any in 32 years of riding touch wood only ever had one break down and that was last year ...........not a road side fix it as needed new reg/rect and rotor
RIDE HARD JUST DONT GET CAUGHT
grow old riding a chopper

chopperal

Post by chopperal » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:20 pm

I carry a
small shifting spanner
screw driver with phillips and bayonet fittings
ring spanners
small ratchet and some sockets
small pliers and wire cutters
assorted nuts and bolts
plastic ties
some electrical wire
allen keys
spare spark plugs
feeler gauge
a couple of hose clips
a headband type flashlight
spare throttle cable (past experience)
spare clutch cable (broke one again just last week)
small can of WD40
some thin wire

So far I've managed to overcome any problems with is lot.

I had a similar experience in NZ Andrew. I was riding up the north Island with a group of guys (all on Triumphs) when one of the bikes broke down. This was the seventies so the details escape me. But I do remember one of our group taking out the entire gearbox on the side of the road, jumping on his bike with it and heading back to the last town we came through. I don't know what was wrong with it, but when he got back he just put it back in, replaced the oil, and the guy didn't have any more trouble for the rest of the trip.
That seems to me to be one of the advantages of the older bikes, especially Triumphs. They're relatively easy to work on.

cheers, al :)

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:26 pm

Yeap Chopper Al... And its part of the mystique of 60's 70's riding... I have some great memories of roadside situations... all the fun of meeting a challenge to overcome the perils of the road!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

sks

Post by sks » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Tbear

Post by Tbear » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:55 pm

do you guys have mobile workshops following you or what :lol:
RIDE HARD JUST DONT GET CAUGHT
grow old riding a chopper

Return to “Tools...”