What tools do you carry??

Made up a special tool? Need advice on what tool? This is the forum for it...
VMAX

Post by VMAX » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:51 pm

I think 'resourcefullness' (better when spelt correctly ;) ) is the most useful tool to bring.
Imagination can help you out of some deep holes.
Ive saw people dispair without fully examining what resources they have around them. Being positive and as Andrew implied, seeing this a challenge to overcome rather than a negative 'oh no, look how unlucky I am..this always happens to me'..depressive frame of mind, is always going to make you a winner. Sometimes you can resolve it quickly, but even when you may have to walk or call RACQ or spend a few days in the pub while your wide bum rare type is being orderd, its all a good experience and makes for good bar stories.

Y'know.. I carried loads of recovery gear on my GS550 chop but didnt ever think that the coils would actually melt like candles... I now understand Suzi electrics a little better!

I also remember trying to kick start that bike on an unlit motorway in Ireland on a very wet pitch black night. The HT leads were shorting out and all I could do in the pitch black was kick..see a spark and then spray in that direction. (Which incedentially is also how a 400/4 I owned went on fire.. so dont do it!)

When your stuck its miserable..but, when you make it back its Beerfest! :)
Best being stuck with friends... but that rarely happens. heh heh. All you can do is keep a positive mental attitude.. and quit with the negative vibes..ha ha ... I should be in advertising!
G.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

sks

Post by sks » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:53 am

Last edited by sks on Wed May 26, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tbear

Post by Tbear » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:39 am

well if i carry tools they are usually stashed in me ladies boot as she always carries the tent the food spare fuel etc in the chase car thats when she comes along as we always bring her daughter as well but on my own i use my country bush skills or a match (joking on the match) oh and that modern communication device the mobile mmmmmmmmmm me thinks i should join RAA or road side assist
run out of fuel never
puncher never
brocken chain never
crashed yes but wrote bike off
oh and blew a rebuilt motor the first day i put it in xs 650 only thing i didnt replace was the valves which snapped went through the piston and stopped me
RIDE HARD JUST DONT GET CAUGHT
grow old riding a chopper

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:16 pm

Tbear wrote:well if i carry tools they are usually stashed in me ladies boot
What you doing wearing ladies boots mate???? :D

sks

Post by sks » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Tbear

Post by Tbear » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:20 am

good one guys i meant in the boot of her car :lol: :wink: :lol: my legs dont suit ladies boots.............see you guys would be a luagh to party with
RIDE HARD JUST DONT GET CAUGHT
grow old riding a chopper

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:27 pm

I ride a 2006 HD so the tool kit that came with the bike, I gave to a mate who rides a Triumph. Of course over the next two weeks he lost most of them, left them at the side of the road..............

I used to carry a really neat oval shaped tool box that fitted into my sleeping bag, but over the years, the bikes have become more reliable. I shredded a tyre in Barstow CA, in 2003, on a sunday morning, and bought a can of Phhhst. Talk about an impluse buy. I still have it in the paniers. I keep wanting to see if it still works, kind of like wanting to test the air bags in the car to see if they work.........
My favorite tools now are the mobile phone and RACV card. :oops:

chopperal

Post by chopperal » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:51 pm

just added a pair of latex gloves to the tool kit!

:lol:

Chucky

Hmm

Post by Chucky » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm

I carry 2 spark plugs, 2 21w/5w lamps, 1 headlight lamp, plug spanner, small adjustable spanner, blade fuses wrapped together with fuse wire, 1 multi-bit screwdriver (bits in handle) with gaffa tape rewrapped around the handle, 2 tyre levers, innertube, tie wraps, a handfull of small sockets (to use with the screwdriver) and a leatherman......called hubert ;-)

Can you tell I have have a history of british bikes :-))

flc

Re: Hmm

Post by flc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:35 pm

Chucky wrote:
Can you tell I have have a history of british bikes :-))
no you didnt say a gallon of oil :D :D

sks

Re: Hmm

Post by sks » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:46 pm

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Common guys, this is supposed to be an instructional thread, not chatter.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

flc

Post by flc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:36 am

sorry.

ok i carry two adjustable spanners,
an angle screwdriver (one end flat other philips) got me out of trouble loads of times.
a pair of small mole grips
a small 1/4" t bar and sockets up to 13mm
and a can of fixaflat.
the most important a mobile phone.

Return to “Tools...”