Mig Welder

Made up a special tool? Need advice on what tool? This is the forum for it...
Aussiehard

Mig Welder

Post by Aussiehard » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 pm

What AMP welder would be the way to go for use on your chop and general purpose?

See cheap ones start about 100amp.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:59 pm

150amp will do 1/2" plate fine. But get a quality/known brand Mines a WIA. I have spoken to a number of guys who have bought cheap migs and they use them as anchors. Wire feed is the main problem and parts. Also get one that uses 15kg wire as it is almost the same price as a 5kg reel.

However a decent 150amp mig will cost $1000 plus. You can pick up second hand arc welders for a couple of hundred or less.

Use that for the heavier stuff and get a DHC /which will then do all your light stuff, frame tube, sheet metal plus alluminium. My DHC should be here in a few days. I have spoken with a few users and they swear by them for all your lighter welding, cutting up to an inch, plus welding/brazingstainless, aluminium, brass, copper etc. DHC will be around $800 I think, so you'll have two welders that will cover everything you want with only two bottles to hire.

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=71

If you want to do stainles with mig, wire is very expensive, though you can use same gas.

I'm no expert on welding, so others may have other suggestions. Just know that I was looking at having to buy a tig for alloy welding and this way works out far more economically... and you could weld up grandmas aluminium teapot and be a real hero! :lol:
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Never welded a thing in my life, did some brazing 20yrs ago at Tech.

I have my grandfathers arc welder but that thing I remember being told is not easy to learn on an will blow holes in light metal.

Was after something a fair bit cheaper than $800 - $100 cos I might completely suck at welding!

Thanks for the feedback though!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 pm

You can easily weld 3mm steel with arc... 12 gauge rods and 2mm with 16 gauge if you are careful.

Just get a pile of 3mm flat bar and start practicing. Go to TAFE and do an arc welding course. I found mig is easier than arc, but arc welding is more forgiving than mig. You can do most stuff on your bike with arc... except for sheet metal.

I don't think anyone can be a failure at welding... just need someone to teach you and lots of regualr practice. You may never be a great welder, but you will be able to do a strong weld. That said even if in the beginning you simply tack weld parts and get a pro to do final job... you will make your customising easier.

I'd still go for a henrob next as any mig under $800 is in my opoinion a waste of money. My shovel is all arc welded... has done 7 years of hard riding 75,000 miles since being chopped.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm trying to sell one at the moment, $2100 and it's yours. See the site link below.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Return to “Tools...”