004 Paul's CB500 Reno...

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

004 Paul's CB500 Reno...

Post by Prof » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:53 am

Paul's cb 500 has been getting tired. The motor smoking and leaking oil, front fork tubes worn and rear swingarm bushes had it... plus motor was canted on too great an angle and bike was too short!
here's the result of a week's work...

A 1976 550 motor off Ebay than runs well and is oil tight.

Front end stretch of 5" upwards and 3" forwards. Frame cut at rear to level motor. Swingarm off another frame. Rear shockers short sporty progressives. Forks extended 10.5" (6" overs + 4.5" slugs). Rake 42 degrees. Distance from steering head to front axle 630mm (hmm!) We also got a couple of twin coils 'off something' with removable plug leads. Front side stand moved to rear so it won't scrape.

Pipes still have to be modified as they hang well below frame and scrape too quickly and a few other jobs needed like seat upholstry, electronic speedo, fork springs etc.

Paul had fun mottling the tank with 5 different colours. Frame is simply flat black. It will be sand blasted and lightly moulded later.

Handles beautifully, no heaviness above 5kph, very predictable in corners and very stable at all speeds. Lock has been increased so manouvering around the yard is a snap. Can be ridden to a stop one handed. Fork springing is harsh due I assume to rake, so we'll hunt up a set of 250 or 350 springs (softer) and see what that does.

I spent most of the day on it yesterday and the 550 has plenty of zip and the bike is a pleasure to ride. Raising pipes and improving front springing should cap it off nicely... just have to see if the cops pull it over due to the long front end.
Last edited by Prof on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 pm

The name on your shed is wrong.

It should read; The Chopper Shed of cool 8)

I love it great work :D
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Nice work...has turned it from a cheap and nasty into a cheap and cheerful.....Great stance.

Skip
Interests: My beautiful wife...our dogs..shooting..motor bikes..Aussie Rules [ Richmond Tigers ]..tattoos

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:43 am

Nice work Prof...
Catch 'ya Skip
Decide..go for it..stuff 'em

cjmeg

Post by cjmeg » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Nice work there lads :D
Might even be pleasant to ride behind :D
Time to start playing with the Vmax.
Oh and maybe I should finish the trike too!

Gringo

Post by Gringo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:32 am

Those Hondas Just Keep Keeping On
Id rather be bobbed

Return to “The Chopper Shed”