002 Forward Controls... under seat frame mods (pictures)

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

002 Forward Controls... under seat frame mods (pictures)

Post by Prof » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:03 pm

A note especially for 74 Chopper, but thought others could also be interested...
I just built forward controls for CB 500/4. Method of linking brake to brake lever has worked really well and looks very neat.
I used a heavy clutch cable with adjuster from a Harley (Shovel is probably the best). I welded a threaded (5/16 UNC) mounting point on the brake arm (goes from brake plate to frame) to receive the adjuster.

I drilled and threaded (1/4" ) one side of the small cylindrical steel block that normally takes the brake rod at the brake lever. The opposite side I drilled (up to brake rod hole) to 3/8".

Then I inserted cable through what was the brake rod hole and tightened up a 1/4" bolt against the cable. Cable can't slip because bolt forces it to partially bend into 3/8 hole.

This is the brake pedal mounting. Stock brake light switch is held to cable with 2 cable ties. Original spring clips into small hole in brake pedal ...

Also for gear lever extension... If you don't want to spend big money on rod ends, make clevis's out of 1/2" bar with an angle grinder. For the pins, use some 1/4' rod (or cut up a 1/4' bolt) and pene one end over and drill the other for a small split pin. Saves money and you did it yourself and no one else will have one the same.

Hey man, shed built bikes are best!
Last edited by Prof on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Biggaz

softail harley seat on xs

Post by Biggaz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:27 pm

IM looking forward to seing the photos andrew .I have been cleaning my new project bike and sorting out a few loose wires on head light and tail light .pretty simple stuf getting it ready for rego .I had an Idea of using asoftail seat and cutting the two struts either side of the battery and droping them down a few inches to take the seat .has anyone done this and will the rearend still be strong enough to take a pillion .this is on an xs 650 yam ...... cheers GAZ
Choppers Are Real Rides

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:31 pm

Jap frames in the 70's were nothing to write home about, mild steel and pretty thin.

I've done what you suggest and seen others as well. Use same diameter and wall size tube and weld right around with plenty of penetration and you'll be fine. If you want to play safe put in a 1½"gusset at front and back under where new top rail meets frame.. It would also be wise to put a small gusset on top and at the back of the top rail to reduce any flex from upward pressure on rear shockers.

Is this 650 Yammie done like you suggested?...

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Biggaz

Post by Biggaz » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:35 pm

yes Andrew its very close to what Im going to try to achieve, do you know if you can get 6inch extensions for the original 650 front end
Choppers Are Real Rides

74chopper

Post by 74chopper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:03 pm

looking forward to the pix andrew, i have a set of forwards in the shed, i cant put em on properly cause of the pipes im using at the moment, they bolt to the front 2 engine mounts and the pipes go right past em, if i get some longer forks i will change the whole setup and maybee use em for that layed back look hahaha.... cheers.
Cheers Rob
750/4 choppers Rock

Return to “The Chopper Shed”