Steff's XS #3... additions to frame

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Steff's XS #3... additions to frame

Post by Prof » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:07 pm

I put up the last couple of pics earlier to show Steff how far we were up to. Heres the steps up to them...

Don machined up a couple of bushes for the swing arm pivot. They are different lengths because the stock frame is offset.

Rear of the swing arm has had some brackets added which we will remove along with the original bottom shocker mounts...

New bottom shocker mount is lower and much neater and also allows the shocker to mount neatly on the frame member as well, so shocker doesn't have to be shortened. Mounting difficult shapes like this swing arm is helped by lots of blocks of aluminium and steel and some G clamps.

High tensile M10 bolts are trimmed down with angle grinder and welded on the inside of the swing arm...

A thick washer is welded onto the outside of the swing arm but no weld on the bolt shaft to keep it strong. A machined collar tightend with a nut is used to keep it square while being welded...

Top shocker mounts are machined and tapped for M10, then measured up for square and welded in...

Now for the swingarm mounts. Quite a bit of thought went into best shape and angle to combine strength and good looks. Carboard pattern is made first and then the outer shape is cut out, ground and linished and then holes cut with a hole saw. Note that hole saws cut larger than their nominated size. Two pieces are cut and drilled at a time (held together with a G clamp on angle iron.

Inner plates are tacked welded with constant realignment as weld pulls considerably. I had briefly considered 10mm plate but this set up I think will be more rigid and put less stress on the frame tubes.

15mm flat bar bent to shape in the vice...

... and set in ready for welding. Once again welding pulls a lot and we put the axle though each side to a time and see how well the pivot bolt lines up and then wome wallops with a hammer to get it lined up. Pivot slides in nicely...

Not comlpetely welded but good enough to set up so we can see how close we came to our plans...

Well Kevin and I reckon she looks good...

A few statistics... Forks are 8" overs, Rake 43 degrees, a couple of inches past 550 rule, Wheelbase 5'9 1/4", height of lowest point of seat rails 20", Ground clearance unladen 5". When fully built will be about 4"... although the springs seem unusually soft and may need to be put on a slightly harder adjustment.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Cromag

Re: Steff's XS #3... additions to frame

Post by Cromag » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Taken shape nicely....seat, tank combo is going to be?
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

eddiehob

Post by eddiehob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:55 pm

looks really good ,cant wait to see it fin, good job

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Andrew that looks absolutely fantastic, good job mate. :roll:
Last edited by Silent Grey Fellow on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Grey Fellow

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Cromag wrote:Taken shape nicely....seat, tank combo is going to be?
Seat has been decided it will be a high backed King and Queen, as for the tank still a toss up between a sportster and a mustang
Silent Grey Fellow

Prof

Post by Prof » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:54 pm

For the third time I will do this post. the first time the computer refused to submit it. The second time I went to delete one word and the whole lot disappeared. As the Toyota ad used to say... bugga!

Well, the next step is to set up the side stand. Steff has sent down the ugly stubby original plus a nice long slim one off a Triumph. It looks just the ticket. Up front seems the best place if we are to have ground and pipe clearance...

The original is held with a bolt, nut and spring washer. I think we can do better.

We'll linish off the casting marks and the small stop screw boss, and tap a thread in on one side and drill out the other so we can use a button head bolt underneath. This will not only look better, but be stronger and allow the spring to be a bit closer to the stand. On a Jp bike I like to use metric fasteners, but in this situation the existing hole is too large to tap a 12mm thread, so we will tap a half inch UNC instead.

There are a number of considerations when mounting your side stand.

Top Diag... The bike needs to be set up with a decent lean so that on uneven ground the bike will not fall over. It also needs to be forward of centre so the bike will not roll forward off the stand. Then the stand needs to fold back without fouling the exhausts or hitting the ground when cornering or going over spoon drains etc It also needs to be easily accessable by your left boot without leaving melted rubber on you lovely shiney exhaust.

Bottom Diag... the spring needs to hold the stand securely forwards as well as when the it is retracted. the is accomplished by setting up the spring anchoring pin so in an "over centre" position... Note how the spring crosses over the centre of the stand pivot when it swings to the two positions. This all takes some trial and error and experimenting.

The stand tab is made from some 12mm steel that is a close fit and will reduce wobble and also be nice and strong. When attaching tabs that carry a lot or weight, spread their attachment area over as wide an area of the frame as you can to save the tab rippiing out of the thin frame tubing . the front side of the tab is squaerd off to stop the stand swinging too far forwards.

Spring anchor is machined out of some 8mm round bar with a groove to hold the spring.

Anchor is bent forwards a bit to increase the 'over centre effect forwards". Spring is from my collection. A dome nut will act as a lock nut on the stand pivot bolt.

Finished... nice lean on the bike, stand opens and retracts easily without any ground clearance problems...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 pm

..........it's true, a picture tells a thousand words.

Thanks Prof.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:51 am

Lucky I hung on to that old side stand. LOL I knew it would come in handy for something one day. It came off an old rigid XS650 chopper frame from Lake Munmorah NSW, that was lying behind a shed with scrub growing over it.
Silent Grey Fellow

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:46 am

Yep. Part of what chopper building is about I reckon... scrounging!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Gotta question why butcher the original frame when basically only the back bone is original. Wouldn't it be easier to make the whole frame and skip all the joins & slugs??

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Aussiehard wrote:Gotta question why butcher the original frame when basically only the back bone is original. Wouldn't it be easier to make the whole frame and skip all the joins & slugs??
http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... =60&t=7030

As you can see in the first post of the thread linked Aussiehard .

It was a butchered frame to start with and not a stock frame at all. Some deluded space cadet on probably a bad LSD trip must of thought he was some sort bike builder guru and created something that would not look out of place at the local garbage tip, thus the reason I got the complete bike for a grand total of $350.

What Prof has done is resurrect something from the dead and brought it screaming back into the 21st century. When the chopper is a finished product it will have the late 1960's to to early 1970's look With a touch of now thrown in where needed. Butcher I don't think so. More like improve and build better than what Yamaha could build, back when they were manufacturing XS650's.

In short, what was usable on the old frame was used. 8)
Silent Grey Fellow

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:09 pm

A legitimate question Aussiehard... To add to Steff's comments, if I was building a frame for myself, I would probably start from scratch. However, when building for someone else then time = money and using the cradle and headstem and just heating and bending the backbone to get the rake, saved Steff a heap of dollars.

The original frame had been modified poorly both front and back so would not have been worth a lot resale. The bottom right rail under the motor was rusted through and some large holes had been drilled in the front downtubes. Even without these problems it would still work out quite a bit cheaper using part of the frame.

I could have left the bulky footpeg/rear swing arm mounts, but they scream "stock but modified xs 650" and stand out like a pig in a palace. Taking them off means it could easily be taken for a completely new frame... and more practically for our 5'2" rider, allowed us to get the seat height a couple of inches lower.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:21 pm

High back and sissy bar will be great.....i reckon an alien tank would look better....and its screaming for a paisley paint job!!! definately watching this one...
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:33 pm

We spent a bit of time on the phone today re exhausts. Steff has sourced an unchromed set of 'stock' header pipes from Peter at Taree at a better price than I can make them, so is getting them sent direct. He was wanting a set of cocktail mufflers which I can get, but Mrs Steff wasn't so keen, so here are the mufflers I currently I have Steff. I can get others reverse con megs, wide mouth megs, megs, BSA style, etc but see what you think of these which I have in stock atm...

From top (price each)...

Slashcut... $58

Turnouts... $75

Taper... $75

Cocktail (not shown)... $85

Also stainless turnouts and tips (made at TCS)... $45, $25

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Cromag wrote:its screaming for a paisley paint job!!!
That is on the cards
Silent Grey Fellow

Return to “The Chopper Shed”