Josh's XJ600 #4, Headlight,

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Josh's XJ600 #4, Headlight,

Post by Prof » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Josh has chosen a simple Bates style headlight with a quality Naava reflector & H4 globe. You can buy cheap reflectors at car parts stores, but my experience is that they lose their silvering and often have a poor beam.

In keeping with his compact bike, Josh is mounting the light on the bottom triple tree rather than higher up on the tab supplied on the springer bar.

Springer has to be removed and inverted, so we can drill and tap a couple of threads for the headlight bracket. A 45 degree line is run through the centre of the head stem. We will use 5mm thick 50mm flat bar for the bracket. A divider is used to mark centres of holes on the diagonals...

Here's a clearer pic showing the markings. They are equidistant from the edges of the triple tree and the sides of the bracket. You'll also notice that the lip of the head stem protrudes and will foul the bracket. We put the head stem in the lathe and machine off a couple of mils.

Two holes are drilled to within 4mm of the top of the triple tree (drill bit is marked with texta) and threaded in M6, first with a taper tap and finished with a bottoming tap. When using smaller taps, be gentle as a broken tap in the hole is irretrievable.

M6 socket head cap screws are used. They are screwed into the holes then measured and cut to length...

A piece of 5mm x50mm bar is drilled (carefully measured first) to 7.5mm to allow for drill wander and to allow a bit of final adjustment...

Next three photos show finished bracket and headlight. As with every other bracket the hole for the headlight is drilled first and then a scriber used to make a neat curved end. Bracket tapers to the front and is also given a slight bend downwards to clear the front bar of the springer and to get the headlight to the correct height...

Josh checking out his handiwork...

While he was making the bracket, I needed to add in a final gusset to the steering head. We decided to use some 30mm x 3mm pipe that had a curve in it. Here is a pattern taken of the angle between the steering head and the backbone...

Welded in. This is done in a number of stiches which are left to cool to minimise any movement from the cooling metal...

Final look at the headlight...

We then attacked the electrics box and got it part way done before Josh had t call it a day. More when he comes back, hopefully before Christmas.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Josh's XJ600 #4, Headlight,

Post by Prof » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Josh has had to call a halt on his chopper, due to deterioration of the mining industry where he is employed.

He came up the other day to take it home "so I can at least look at it in my shed"!! He is obviously very disappointed as it was nearing completion. The last time he was at the workshop he took home the wheels he'd bought, cut out the spokes and set up new painted rims and spokes.

He put them on the chopper before taking it. The rear tyre as you can see here is an old style 100 profile and is a tight fit. If he wants to run this tyre we'll have to shift the guard a bit, when things come good and we can get back to work on it...

I got a couple of pics before he put it up on the trailer...

Hopefully for Josh's sake, work will pick up and once he's caught up we'll be able to keep you posted on the final work an this cool little machine...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:07 pm

Sad to hear, about the job situation. Manufacturing industry in SA is in rapid decline. Should be thankful I still got a job, I guess.

Chin up. Josh. Things will get better. Hope to see your bike finished soon, looks awesome.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

jett
Interests: music, choppers, books.

Post by jett » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Hey Josh,
Your bike is amazing mate. I have had the pleasure of being able to look at while working on mine. When you are back in a position to do some more work on it let me know. I don't have a wealth of skills but i would love to come down to wilunga and to help however i can.
cheers,
jett

Return to “The Chopper Shed”