Konging Henry's Sporty... 2015...

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Konging Henry's Sporty... 2015...

Post by Prof » Sun May 17, 2015 11:11 pm

Henry sold his Virago chopper (raked at TCS some years back) early last year and has recently picked up an Evo sporty. He wife reckons he should have left it stock, but Henry is a chopper builder and rider from way back and stock just don't cut it!

His first step was a thinner seat and then he called me up to discuss future plans including konging, different tank, rake and extended forks. He tossed up between an Attitude springer and extended tubes and for cost reasons only, decided on 6" extended tubes. The springers are a pretty good price these days, but fitting up brake calliper and guard quickly ups the cost.

I bought in a set of tubes for his model bike... and guess what, a previous owner had added 'sports' forks which have different sliders and are not interchangeable. So he ended up having to buy a second complete set of forks from a local Harley dealer... cost all up about the same as setting up a springer... bugger!

Being unable to convince his wife to let him part with the money to rake the neck (I mean how important is food... really?!) he settled for konging as the next step. This was done at The Chopper Shed over a couple of nights after work.

First step is stripping the appropriate parts. We measure up the shockers and make a strut to mimic full shocker compression. This allows us to ensure that the wheel will not touch anything (new battery mounting, guard, oil tank, electrics etc when he hits that unexpected spoon drain or deep pot hole skilfully preserved by our road transport authorities! You can see he has slipped in an ally oil tank I have, but it is way too big.

Next, set rail cross piece is removed. Seat rails are cut, trimmed, heated with the oxy and bent into their new position (forgot a couple of pics here). Be careful when you cut through frame tubes as they can spring. I always cut through except for a couple of millimetres and then carefully cut the final little bit from the outside. this way you avoid a jammed and possibly smashed angle grinder blade... and injury o yourself.

The cost of a LI battery is outside Henry's budget and the stock lump will not fit under the seat, so he decides to run it side saddle. Here you can see the beginning of the battery mount. It will clear the swing arm on full compression by 5mm. I have used some 6mm thick angle iron that Henry has trimmed down. It will serve as a strong gusseted support for the battery's weight. The seat rail gussets above and below the join can be seen in this photo. I would have been a bit neater with the curv, but Henry has limited time and will tidy it later with body filler. The new rear guard lower mount can also be seen...

Front part of mount is curved in the vice...

Here is where it will sit. For extra support it is set up to sit against the rear brake light sender unit mount on which it will be welded as well...

Stock battery carrier is bolted to its new mounting. Is a bit in the way of henry's leg, but we have no choice unless we hang it from the sissy bar... now there's a thought!!

Now for the oil tank. An old rotary hoe petrol tank is the right size and seems sturdy enough, although ideally I would prefer something a little thicker. It suits Henry aesthetically and price wise. We cut out the filler neck which is in the wrong position. A bi-metal hole saw is used. To stop it wobbling we turn up a piece of timber in the lathe to fit comfortably into the neck... works perfectly

Our new hole will now be at the bottom of the tank with supply and return pipes in it. A vertical line is drawn in for future reference. A trial return pipe is bent up out of a piece of steel power steering tube, but I decide to use some brass fittings which will not sit as low, as we have minimal clearance. Drain will be on the other side of the tank...

Original outlet is now at top and will serve as a vent pipe. These threads are usually NPT...

I keep tube in stock that suits HD filler plugs. Here cut and welded in...

Brass fittings... larger for supply and smaller for return. These larger fittings are machined in two pieces. One of the barbs is simply threaded and held in place with Loctite. The loctited one is the one we will remove...

Filler plate is cut and marked. Hold it in the vice on a block of wood with four small nails... Holes are marked with centre bit and drilled with a stop drill which gives a much rounder hole than a twist drill bit...

Holes drilled and return and supply pipes ready to weld. I always set up the return pipe to shoot the returning oil across the filler hole so it can be easily checked. The copper tube is annealed and carefully bent. It will tend to squash if bent too tightly but can be hammered gently to a near round (square round) shape to retain cross section for oil flow...

Oil tank will hang on two bolts and a bracket across the seat rails... To reduce the likelihood of cracking where the bolts are welded to the tank, we include a couple of large washers. Washers and bolts are welded to the tank increasing the surface area of the weld many times...

Cross piece now drilled and welded in... An upper guard mount is also welded in. Henry will be setting up a sissy bar which will be the third mounting point for the guard...

Trying it all out for fit. Henry kept looking at this cool little chopper tank and finally gave in...

The tap mount is a bit silly and points the tap into the rider's thigh. I would like to have cut it out and weld in another one at a better angle, but finances dictated a couple of brass fittings for the time being.

At this point Henry takes the bike home to mount electrics, mould the frame and build a new seat and sissy bar. I'll have to chase him for some pics...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Re: Konging Henry's Sporty... 2015...

Post by Bearcx » Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 am

Nice job, remember Henry's Virago, interesting 'neck' if I recall. He looks well pleased with himself, too. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon May 18, 2015 10:31 am

Here's a pic of henry's Virago, so you can guess which way the sporty is heading...

... and a bit of info about its build...

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... =60&t=4169
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

jsalt

Post by jsalt » Mon May 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Good to see Henry out and about . Haven't seen him for a while . Bike looks the goods . I alway past him on my Sunday morning rides .
I hear voices and they have some good ideas!

Return to “The Chopper Shed”