Interesting June weekend 2015...

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Interesting June weekend 2015...

Post by Prof » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Saturday...

Every time I go into my workshop I wonder how I can be so lucky to be able to enjoy walking into a shed full of choppers and bikes to be chopped, and spend my time doing something I love...

This Saturday, Jett was scheduled to come up and work on his KZ750 chopper. He duly arrived on a familiar yellow CB550 chopper carrying his latest purchases for his KZ... 19" twin leading shoe front wheel off an XL350. Jet has just obtained his P plate, so I wondered how he would cope with 45 degree rake and 10" overs! His response was "Yes fine"... like am I supposed to have a problem? His recurring comment has been how stable the chopper feels in the corners as well as the straights.

He was T boned a couple of weeks ago and although he ended up with no broken legs (thanks to forward controls!!) his Virago was totalled. We came to the rescue with Paul's 550 until he can get another ride, while he is working on the KZ. In fact, on Friday, he purchased a gs550 in Tassie at as I write this is down there picking it up. Tomorrow, he'll be heading home via the ferry and then on the road back to south oz...

Well we got to work on his chopper sissy bar, but soon got interrupted...

... by Pete rocking up on his CB750 chopper. come to say g'day. Stuart who potters around TCS four days a week showed up about the same time...

Soon after we heard the ragged sound of a vertical twin running not quite right. It was Brian on his xs650 chopper coming to get a couple of cables made up...

On Friday I picked up an XJ600 for a customer from interstate, which he is planning to chop later in the year. He dropped in around this time to check it out and take it for a spin. Being busy helping Jett get some work done, I missed getting a pic of the happy man, but this is the bike... just begging to reveal the chopper within.

No sooner had Pete roared off on his machine...

... then Paul from down south, came to pick up some parts I gotten in for his shovel custom on which we'd set up a 21 incher recently. He fell in love with Dave's sporty and here is trying it out for fit...

Well, we did actually get the sissy bar mounted and worked out some other future details. As it was getting dark, Jett needed to go, so I suggested he and Brian travel home together. They agreed to that and the more I thought about it the more I couldn't resist the feeling it would be great for three choppers to ride together instead of just two! Rilda said, "Go!", so a mad rush to get into some warm clean bike gear and out to the workshop to fire up the shovel. Snapped this pic with the shovel idling while I locked up...

And off we roared; one xs650 chopper, one Honda chopper and one Harley chopper. Coming to the far edge of McLaren Vale, I saw red and blue flashing lights, some distance ahead and did a sharp left, the other guys following. We skirted around the scene via some streets and roads the other guys had never been on and got back onto the main road. I'm just not into breath testing (though I don't drink) or having my chopper checked out even though it is completely legal. No point pushing one's luck! From then on it was smooth running, especially along the new Expressway... and the weather got milder the closer we got to the city...

Jett on the CB...

Brian on his XS...

Coming into Darlington (use to be know as gasoline alley, but a lot of the servos have closed now!), Jett pulled ahead and I noticed his taillight was out and motioned for us to pull over. I'd planned to turn off at this point and drop in on a couple of members close by if they were about, but we decided that as Jett was going to Unley, we'd stick with him and cover his rear.

Imagine our surprise when Jett now in the lead just kept motoring into the city. At a few lights Brian and I scratched our heads (well motioned it on our lids), and dutifully followed as he weaved through various city streets until we turned up into Norwood Parade! I needed fuel and Jett pulled into a fuel station on The Parade...

We commented on some of his last minute directions as he swung across lanes (3 at one point!) and into various streets. He apologised profusely noting it was the first time he'd ever been in the lead and had to think about others behind him. We forgave him...

Gassed up we roared off through a gap in fairly solid traffic and Jett again took the lead, giving us better warnings until we turned into his street. I was riding in second place with Brian about twenty feet behind... and I heard (over the noise of our two bikes through our helmets) some VERY loud and choice words coming from behind. Jett and I pulled up at his driveway to see Brian wheeling his bike. "B*^^#$ Clutch cable's broke!"

Some discussion followed and we decided Brian would come on the back of my chopper and go get his gas solder iron and come back and fix the cable straight away. Took about an hour to get there and back... and then got on with the repairs...

Cable fixed, tools tided and... blast, spring popped off the side stand!

It was now 9pm. Brian took off for home. I decided to cruise up Rundle Street and after some self debate and being very hungry decided to call by The Pancake Kitchen. Lower Rundle Street didn't have a lot of bums filling the alfresco seats, but the rest of the street had more clientele. As usual I had a number of raised thumbs and comments like, "Hey A real chopper!" "Yaaah!", "Cool chopper dude" etc. Two pancakes with lots of Maple Syrup filled the holes in me tum and it was back on the chopper. While it was idling and I was donning my gear, a bloke and his wife coming out of The Pancake Kitchen made a point of complimenting me an such a real old style chopper.

The shovel is set to a reasonably low idle (not super low where you do in your main bearings) and I enjoy slowly moving through crowded places with it just ticking over... sounds really cool and gets a heck of a lot of looks (which we have to admit is part of what riding a chopper is about!). Once again more comments and raised thumbs and even a guy leaving his table to pat me on the shoulder as I idled by. I was stuck behind a very slow moving ute and had to slip the clutch a lot so the ride along a very crowed Hindley Street took some time and gave the gawkers plenty of opportunity.

Brilliant ride home via the main drag at Glenelg. At one stage, a cop car sat behind me for a few hundred yards, then as I indicated to turn left turned on their lights... .... .... ... and pulled out past me! Phew! Got home at 11pm having just cruised at 70-80 k's most of the way enjoying the lazy beat of the motor, an almost full moon in a lightly clouded sky and the fresh breeze sweeping around me... except for two country straights where I opened her up in each gear setting me back into my backrest and waking any dead that might have been around. Rolled into my workshop (Paul had just arrived and opened it as he heard me coming up the road). What a great day it had been.

Sunday...

Victor called me up Friday night to arrange to drop in with a couple of others. Rang again this morning to say they were at Meadows and would be here in half an hour. Well. that was all I needed. I was still in my night gear (won't tell you what time it was) and raced into the bedroom and got into my riding gear which is always laid out (including flying boots) on a chest of drawers. In now time it was out to the workshop. Roll out the shovel. Battery is not doing its job atm, so I have to kick start it when it is cold. It will either start first kick or second... other wise full throttle and always fires by the sixth kick. Sixth kick this morning!

I figured they would be well on their way so I hotfooted it along towards Meadows, passing a number of cars and lots of bicycle riders who were in an event and at least knew to keep to the left to let vehicles past... more than I can say for a lot of them. Well over halfway to Meadows I began to wonder if they'd taken a different route to what Victor had told me. I pulled over to check my phone in case they were already at my place. Looked up and here came two obvious choppers and a third machine.

Turned around and caught up with them and asked if they had used one of the sealed back roads I often use. No they hadn't, would I lead. Me and my big mouth, I was going to enjoy being at the back of the group and getting a bit of video footage. Oh Well! We all enjoyed the ride back to The Chopper Shed. The riders consisted of Victor on his shovel chopper, Rayne on his S&S Pan (both suicide shifters) and Darren on his dresser... with whopping great fishtails!

After about 45 minutes of checking out the latest work, they went on their way...

Victor arranged to drop back a bit later, which he did and after an enjoyable afternoon, he mounted up again and roared off for home

I didn't get a lot done to day as I had originally planned, but what the heck, Sundays are supposed to be a day off...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “The Chopper Shed”