Rob's rack...

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Rob's rack...

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:42 am

Rob is a recent Choppers Australia member. He's really keen on the overnighters we do, but space on his Harley is insufficient for swag tent etc.

He asked if I could knock up a tall sissy bar and extend his rack in exchange for a 250 that needs work. Seemed fair enough, so after a soaking start without water proofs last Saturday, he accompanied by Terry on his XS650 chopper came down yesterday.

We'd planned to build a sissy bar out of stainless, but I had a nos tall HD job. Although it was 6" shorter than he wanted, he thought he'd give it a try. While he was setting it up, Terry touched up his rear number plate bracket...

So now for the rack extension. After a bit of discussion we agreed on a quickly removable rack so he could keep the sissy bar on without the rack without have to remove the four screws retaining the sissy bar...

Cardboard pattern to locate the holes to be drilled. Just a tap with a hammer on top of the screws does the trick...

Punch out the holes...

Add some slots. The rack will be fitted by loosening the four screws, holding the rear of the rack at an angle and slipping it onto the top screws. Then as it is lowered it will locate on the bottom screws...

75mm x 3mm stainless cut and the hole positions marked in. The black texta mark shows the angle to set the stainless...

Holes are drilled and slots cut with the angle grinder. The bottom inner cut needs to be curved in a radius centred on the top hole so it clears as the rack is lowered...

The two brackets checked...

Marking the holes for mounting the brackets to the rack itself. This is done on the bike to get the rack at the right angle...

As usual (see other posts), holes positions are centre punched and then centred drilled. Before drilling out to full size, I mark the second bracket with a scriber (sharpened spoke)...

Trial fit works as planned...

Rack in position...

Brackets are then removed and polished. Looks nice and shiney. Could be polished to a shine the same as the chrome, but Rob happy with this...

Last job is to add some washers, which are araldited to the screws so when the screws are loosened for installing the rack the washers will not get in the way...

Rob's seat was also wobbly at the rear. The factory mounting is a spring clip on a pretty chrome piece. The spring is too thin and it would have taken half an hour to make a stronger spring clip. Instead we pulled out the OEM thread which was held in with a plastic clip and installed a 'nut cert'. If you've not heard on nutcerts, they are a tread that is pulled tight in the hole like a pop rivet... 8mm nut cert is installed. An item in my hand...

A photo of the kit, with a nut installed in the tool...

I didn't get a photo of the bike with new sissy bar etc, but Rob will be trying the set up out this coming weekend on our overnighter to Sedan. I'll pop in a photo then.

Next thing he wants is some higher bars. He'll come here for a weekend and we'll make a set of stainless apes for him and lengthen the appropriate cables etc.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Butcher

Re: Rob's rack...

Post by Butcher » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:56 pm

Nice work ... the detachable rack is something I'm thinking about as well.

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:23 pm

That was the best way I could think of doing it.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Photo of finished sissy bar and rack...

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Nice job, guys. Looks factory. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “The Chopper Shed”