Jason's RevTech chopper is registered... Hooray!

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Jason's RevTech chopper is registered... Hooray!

Post by Prof » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Jason's been itching for some decent weather to coincide with time off work to bring his newly registered RevTech chopper up to show me. We finished it a few months ago and it had to be engineered and go through Regency. Here's a link to the final thread on the build... http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... =60&t=8223

The blokes at Regency were very impressed with the chopper and passed it within a few minutes. He's done a few short stints around Adelaide and today ran it up here. He was a bit concerned about a rattle that seemed to get louder half way up the expressway and found the clutch pretty horrible. Understandably the bike's handling was a totally different kettle of fish to his pocket rocket daily rider! Very stable on the road, but cornering very different...

So we checked the pushrods to see if for some reason (Evo's don't have adjustable pushrods) they were loose or he had a bent one. OK. Then we pulled off the rocker covers to see if the rockers had lots of side play or were loose and to make sure oil was getting up there. We were able to tighten the rocker retainer bolts half a turn, but that didn't seem to be the answer and there was plenty of oil spraying around when we started the motor... but there was no clatter at the top end with the covers off, so we wonder if they accentuate the sound more than standard HD covers.

Clutch was also noisy, so we checked to make sure everything down there was tight. Once everything was reassembled, the motor did seem quieter, though the clatter was still there... and there is enough noise coming from the barrel area to make us wonder how loose the pistons are...

Jason reckoned the clutch was horrible and grabbed without slipping. It was taking up as soon as the clutch lever was let out the slightest amount, so I adjusted that. Had to make a special spanner to do it...

Adjustment solved the clutch problem. Jason also checked exhausts to make sure they were tight, while I adjusted up all the play in the throttle. Jason has discovered for himself (I hadn't been able to convince him) that small seats are a pain in the butt; literally plus you slide off them every time you accelerate. Anyway, now that it's registered he's adding a sissy bar, some more comfortable bars (possibly z's) and I am hopiing... a decent seat!

Meanwhile Paul got out his shovel and took that for a short spin. Unfortunately, his shovel doesn't get much riding because due to a whiplash injury (car) he can't wear a helmet for more than ten minutes without problems. Allan (on left in next pic) cruised in on his custom Victory with an interesting story to tell. He was running all over a local oval this afternoon barracking for his grandson and lost the key (black on a key ring). He called a locksmith who said it was not possible to bypass the key as the bike's computer would recognise it and shut the ignition down! He's seriously considering a shovel!!! He called up the RAA and the bloke who came out convinced him to let him look on the oval for the key... reckoned he'd found a few for customers. Guess what? He found it. Allan reckoned he'd asked his Mate upstairs for a miracle and the RAA bloke was it!

My oldest son Michael (rides a chopped sporty to work hail or shine) was down from Queensland and once Jason's chopper was done, took my shovel for a bit of a ride...

Oscar, rolled up on his sports bike and hooked up a phone charger and electronic gear shifter light. He commented that with such a revvy bike and one with 6 gears it is hard to know what gear it is in! He says that as much as he enjoys the bike, he'll be selling it in a year and getting a cruiser. Maybe we can talk him into a chopper!

So all in all on the bike scene it was once again an interesting Saturday.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “The Chopper Shed”