GSX chopper #4 Electrics box...

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

GSX chopper #4 Electrics box...

Post by Prof » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:45 am

James dropped back for a day and we got onto the electrics box.

Step one is always planning and takes time if you are to end up with a job that not only looks good, but will last and most importantly is user friendly.

Electrics to be mounted are the...
twin double coils,
coil igniter box,
battery,
starter solenoid,
Fuse box,
junction strip and
switches.

James also wants the horn to be out of site and it looks like we would have plenty of room for that as well.

We decide to mount the coils at the front of the box. Some 30 x 3 flat bar and tubing do the trick...

and is temporarily tack welded at the bottom to a cross piece of 1" angle. Here can be seen measuring up to get them centred...

Another view. Each electrical component needs to be easily removed. These are not as easy as I would like them to be...

James wants the electrics box welded in to the frame as a part of the whole, so I do a whole lot of measurements and he cuts out a pattern from thin aluminium...

Pattern made. Bottom of box is 15mm clear of the swing arm on full compression. Rear of box also has to be clear of the tyre when wheel is fully forwards...

Chain movement has to be allowed for on left side. Wheel is set to its highest point and a straight edge run through...

When riding, the top of the chain will form an arc so we allow an extra 25mm to be safe...

Electrics box is made up of 1.6mm plate. The first part of the fab...

Base of box sitting in place...

Coils definitely need to be more easily removed, so we make the coil bracket itself removable. Here setting up the top mounting using a 8mm threaded bung...

Bottom will be held with a bracket and two M6 bolts. Here being measured up...

Bracket completed...

Nuts welded into the base...

Measuring for the top mount...

Countersinking the bung...

In place...

Base needs some extensions to make it water and mud proof. Here a pattern being made. A piece of sheet metal to be cut and welded into place can also be seen protruding at left...

Base and extensions welded in...

We keep the original rubber mount for the solenoid. A piece of 30mm rectangular tube save bending...

Basic bracket made. Will be drilled for two M6 bolts...

Solenoid mount completed and bolted to a welded in bracket. 25 x 6mm flat bar is welded in vertically to hold the igniter box. Again time is taken to plan location and make sure the components are easily accessed and easily removed. It is especially important that solenoid connections are readily accessible as they must stay tight and be occasionally cleaned to maintain good contact for the heavy current used by the starter...

Bottom of battery is retained by a simple 25 x 3 bent flat bar...

Horn mount is cut from a piece of 3mm wall square tube...

A captive bolt is welded to it, rather than a nut as it will be easier to start on the thread in the position it will be in...

Main components in place...

Battery has to be held down. I have no straps suitable and they would be hard to clip in anyway, so I build a clamp that will push the battery down. A piece of 30mm flat bar (red arrow) with a piece of tube rubber glued to it holds the battery. The removable hold down set up is made from a piece of M6 threaded rod (black arrow) that screws into a long skinny bung (white arrow) that will be welded to the electrics box base. We machine up an alloy nut. Rest of bracket (green arrows) is made from four pieces of shaped 25 x 3 flat bar...

View from on top...

Side view...

James will be up tomorrow and we will hopefully build the sides of the box and get them welded in, plus add some reinforcing gussets to the frame tube below the top shocker mounts...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: GSX chopper #4 Electrics box...

Post by Prof » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Now that I have access to my files I can catch up on James' GSX progress.

Sides of electric box are the next job. Cardboard pattern is made. Texta marks show a little less than the high point of the round tubing of the frame. This is so the sides will blend in with the frame showing a smooth area for graphics and making cleaning a breeze..

2mm sheet metal is shaped by hand over a curved piece of pipe in the vice to match the curves in the frame...

Bottom 10mm of the left side is folded so it will meet up with the electrics box base...

Side is tacked to frame. Needs some pressure to keep edges against the tubing. A hammer handle is effective because the head keeps it square as well as spreading the pressure against my stomach...

Done. Will be fully welded later...

Right side done the same way...

You will remember the coils sit in front of the battery box. They protrude in front of the frame so a bulge will be required in the front of the electrics box...

Three stages of development. Metal front on the right is curved by cutting the sides so it can be folded and welded...

Slots cut at the top for the four high tension leads. Bottom four holes are for Negative cable, wiring from brake light, electronic sender, rectifier, neutral and charge switches and the heavy cable to the starter...

Tacked in place...

Wiring junction connector is hinged to allow battery to be removed. All the connections will not be needed and the unnecessary ones will be cut off when wiring is completed. Fuse box will mount behind the rider's backrest for easy access. Fuses are a bit like computers in that they fail at the most inconvenient of times... keep them always easily accessible...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “The Chopper Shed”