One armed biker bars...

LOTS OF HOW TO CHOPPER PROJECT REPORTS... We build choppers the old school way... craftsmanship and artistry. Photos of our work to give you ideas... Aftermarket parts, parts for Shovels, CB's and XS's, our own unique parts for sale...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

One armed biker bars...

Post by Prof » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Chris has just gotten back into bikes after many years in the wilderness. A few adjustments are needed to his newly procured bike due to him having lost his right arm in a work accident years ago.

The bike has T bars which are too far away and at the wrong angle for ease of use with just one left limb...

His initial mod is a throttle on the left side, a case of swapping which cable opens and which cable closes the carb. A temporary mod while waiting for a hydraulic clutch lever is a cable running through his brake lever to a lever on the left above the clutch. Left side...

Right side you can see the cable snaking across to the lever on the left. But he wants a tidier set up...

I find a nice set of HD bars that are just the right height, pull back and bend. A set of HD risers almost fit the existing holes. The holes just need narrowing by about 4mm. We could file them out, but the mill is a much better option. Set up takes about the same time as the cuts, but is accurate and neat...

Chris has brought his mate Stuart to help and they set up the new hydraulic clutch above the existing clutch lever and hook it up to the brake hose. The throttle is a bit loose on the bars so I get Stuart to linish off a little of the upper half of the clamp. This pulls up the throttle nicely, but also tightens up the twist grip so it does not automatically flick back. I suggest some grease to smooth the action and suggest Chris keep it so the throttle doesn't automatically flick back. I run my shovel like this and it is more relaxing and allows you to remove your hand with out the bike suddenly slowing. Chris reckons that is a great idea for a one armed bandit and a thorough greasing gets it perfect. He tells me later it is fantastic...

Last job is to mount the right mirror and I supply a mirror mount which you can see in the foreground. The bars fit the rider perfectly and he is now able to manoeuvre the bike around the yard and reckons he will be able to now relax while he is riding...

I give him a call when I reckon he is home and he confirms it has all worked beyond expectations...

The kill switch and start button are a bulky affair and we discuss options... and decide on a small starter button in the top of the triple tree and ditching the kill buttom. A little later we will look at providing more back support (instead of the blanket) so he is more secure on the bike, an important consideration with only one arm to hang on with...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “The Chopper Shed”