Mega Ride Route

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!

Which Route from Brisbane to Melbourne

Pacific Highway skirting Sydney
46%
New England / Newell Highways
54%

Total votes: 13

sks

Post by sks » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:08 pm

Last edited by sks on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:12 pm

Good stuff Ol fart

This is all starting to take shape.

I can't wait to be on this trip. 8)
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:07 am

I will map out 2 alternatives but at this stage I have the following to offer.
Dont forget, the GOR is a very long road and takes you almost to the SA border, although its called the Princess Hwy at that stage.
I suggest that you arrive at the NSW/VIC border, at either Echuca or Albury/Wodonga in the morning.
(For those who want to come into VIC via Mildura, you might as well continue straight through to SA. and down to Willunga)
We can run down to my place at Keilor and do any maintainence on the bikes in my shed. You camp here or motel it at the local place. This will give an opportunity to spend a night in Melbourne ( more on this later).
The next morning we head off around the bay to the great ocean road.
If we go my favoured route, we go around the bay to Sorrento and cross the bay on the Ferry, always a great diversion.
I reckon the first night should be spent at Apollo Bay or if the group is comfortable, with a bit of an extra ride, Warnambool.
Apollo bay is about 6 hours if we do the Ferry, about 4 if we dont.
Warrnambool would be a great first night if we skipped the ferry.
I will post the three alternate routes, but as so many of you expressed the deisre to do the GOR, then its that or skip it and drive straight through to Wilunga on the most direct route West which will be a tiring and boring 10 hour ride.
If we go the coast road, it'll take at least 2 days probably 3 if we do the ferry.
I'm in favor of an interesting journey, but if the 2 - 3 day jaunt is gunna be a problem for some of you, then let me know and we can alter the route, to suit.

Try the following links to google maps, then give me some feed back on each alternate route.

Straight through route http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=K ... 238281&z=7

GOR no ferry ride http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=K ... e=UTF8&z=7

Around the bay on the ferry http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=K ... e=UTF8&z=7

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:08 am

If you use the strait through track in Vic I am in the process of moving to Stawell, we have been very lucky in getting a 1 1/2 acre block so have plenty of room for camping if you want to do a overnight stop here before going on to Adelaide.

Spokes

Re: not yet

Post by Spokes » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:22 am

XSChop wrote: Also I was working on the understanding that the objective was around 500km per day not the 250 to 350 indicated above.
I read that the plan was to arrive at Newcastle at the end of day 2.

Overall I think I am leaning towards an inland route but not so far inland that we miss the GOR.

Consider this. Hammer down the coast to Waughope and then turn inland up the Oxley Highway (best road for bikes in Aus) to Walcha and then Tamworth and then head south from there missing Sydney.
Who ever said 500 kays a day? All I remember was some one specifically saying that because we are on old rigid choppers that they didn't want to have to punch out big rides every day. Also - if we leave on the 10th and do 500 kays a day we'll be there in 5 days. How long did you want to skulk around in adelaide for?
Overall I think I am leaning towards an inland route but not so far inland that we miss the GOR
That is exactly the route I explained!!!
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 am

OKAY
Maybe instead of people saying maybe we should do this or maybe we should do that. How about you put a route plan with stops and daily KM's up from Brisbane to Vic. (Only to Vic because the Ol Fart will sort us out from where ever we land in Vic).
If we come down to a couple that most people agree on then we can do a poll.
As most of the journey will be through NSW then there is no reason why a NSWelshmen can't plan the trip from brissy to vic even if they don't join us til the second night.
Just put up a proper plan instead of ideas here and there otherwise we will go around in circles until october 2009 and I am hoping to go on a ride that month.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:32 am

Ol Fart I like your ideas, lets take the scenic way and enjoy our selves.

2-3 days in Victoria sound fine to me.
You can CHOP EM!!

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:09 pm

Bacca, thanks for the offer mate. If we decide on the GOR, would you come down and meet us at Warrnambool ?
You could come straight through Lake Bolac and Mortlake, kinda like falling off a cliff.........

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Us NSW blokes, are pretty much situated around Sydney (within 100kms or so) that makes us pretty flexible regarding the route aye?

down through tamworth is amittidly a more direct route, and personally id give the coast a miss as theres far to many speed cameras and 80 zones...but hey why not down to Wauchope over to Walcha, south to gloucter, back on freeway through Sydney (its a pretty straight run/especially if ya hook up with XS Phil), then the gong, my place for some repairs then up to Goulburn (or alternativly down to Batemans bay) across to Cooma then down the Omeo hwy, skirt across to Keilor and leave it to the ol'Fart from there......

Tamworth to Cowra, south to Boorawa through to Tumut and on to Omeo hwy...Us Sydney blokes would probably be better off meeting ya in Tumut.

or Tamworth to Cowra, Cottamundra either over to tumut or South west to Albury/Wodonga on to Keilor not a bad run, bit boring on the Hume, kind of run ya just want over and done with...no colour no fun no detours.......

The Devil might be in the details, but its all BS until the flag drops.

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:16 pm

Those 2 maps of the GOR are actually wrong. I just checked them and they actually bypass the GOR. I will correct and adjust soon.
Stupid Ol fart

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:18 pm

This is a more accurate link for "the long way round".

I will re do "the short way round" later

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sadd ... 79785&z=10

XSChop

long way

Post by XSChop » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:35 pm

Had a look at your great map and IMHO going throught the centre of Melbourne in order to take longer using a ferry doesn't yet sound enticing.

Personally I don't like riding in traffic, lights and stop signs etc because I can't get neutral unless still on the move and not always even then and can't hold the clutch in for long and no electric leg so have to resort to switching off and re kick starting that is if it doesn't stall of it's own accord while idling. Don't know but there may be others in similar boats too.

But you did alude to some Reason for traversing the city so I'll wait to hear that.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

midnight7503

Post by midnight7503 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:56 pm

The reason for doing Melbourne city has got to be one of Australias only places, where you can legally turn right from the left hand side of the road, it has to be done to believed, I absolutely loved it, but then some do say I am a bit strange :lol:
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

XSChop

Brisbane to Vic

Post by XSChop » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:10 pm

OK Love this Google maps
Here is an inland one to consider for the Brisbane to Vic part

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sadd ... 28.125&z=5

And a coastal one

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sadd ... e=UTF8&z=5

Inland is 200km and 3 hours longer, most likely roads are rougher, less likely to pick up more participants from the Sydney area, more scenic and interesting and more likely to meet more interesting people.

Coast is only 3 hours quicker (it says) but dead boring most of the way.
There is the toll on the M7 to bypass Sydney but I have already explained how we can address that earlier.
It does offer the chance to include the "old road" but IMHO it's nowhere near as interesting as the Oxley Hwy.
Coast probably gives more exposure publicity wise if we want that.[url]

Probably should be a vote on this section but this topic's name already covers Brisbane to SA I think so not sure there.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:36 pm

XS Chop if you want a pole on something then it is ok if you create one, don't be shy, just do it.

Those that help themselves are helped, but those that don't, just miss out. :)
You can CHOP EM!!

Return to “Mega Ride 2009”