Police Liason

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!

Should we advise police before the Mega Ride

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 19

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Ditto
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Bearcx wrote:Sorry guys and gals......it's a free country, I ride where I like with whom ever I want.
Exactly how I feel
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

1982 XLH (getting there...)
2009 Speed Triple
2005 FZ1/DJP sidecar (sidecar very soon)
'68/'76 T140V Chop

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Mon May 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Bearcx wrote:Sorry guys and gals......it's a free country, I ride where I like with whom ever I want.
I am not so sure that Mr Plod is really going to give a Red Rats Rectum about how you feel about your freedom when he pulls you over as he also has the freedom to pull you over whenever and with who ever he wants.
Our freedom in this country is not the issue.
We are trying to discuss the best way to deal with a problem that currently exists due to previous occurences that we cannot change that were carried by people who call themselves bikies who happen to look a little like real bikers to the untrained eye which means that the police and government have to be seen to be pro-active and deal with it. Therefore where we go the joe blo public don't know that we are different to the trash you see on TV so they will want police to take care of the situation.
Stop blaming the cops for doing their there job and maybe even work with them to make things better.
Trust me when I say that "bad attitudes" aren't going to win any favours with the cops. It just gives them more reason to hassle us.
So... back to the topic... do we announce it not.
if we do... why
if we don't ... why
feelings and attitudes aside because this could be the one thing that spoils this ride if we keep getting stuffed around by d1ckhead coppers.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon May 11, 2009 9:31 pm

I seem to have upset you, Spokes.

Freedom to ride without letting the cops know where I'm going and with whom, are exactly the points in question.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

78gold

Mega Ride

Post by 78gold » Mon May 11, 2009 9:40 pm

I agree to a point.
As an individual I ride pretty well where I want and stay pretty much within the laws of the land and as an old codger have little issue with PC Plod.

That said I have a worry that as a larger group we will attract that attention and it may cause us issues during the Mega Ride. Even if its a delay where we have a local copper decide to "Inspect" all the bikes say 10 minutes by 20 bikes. There goes our day as far as travel time goes. If we get a couple of bikes defected then its even worse.

I am not sure if talking to the PC's in each state will help but will it hurt and are the potential benefits worth it. Again I wonder if some form of charity drive would help, such as they do with the variety bash. Seems to keep the cops onside with them.

But then I am old and haven't taken my medication for several weeks.
Nigel
78 Gold

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Mon May 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Bearcx wrote:I seem to have upset you, Spokes.

Freedom to ride without letting the cops know where I'm going and with whom, are exactly the points in question.
But if we are seen as group and they don't expect us and then have to go through the rigmarol of hassling us then we don't have that freedom do we.
The question is will we be better off and less hassled with or without prior notification.
How can we best enjoy our ride regardless of our so called freedom is what I am trying to work towards.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Agreed.

sks

Post by sks » Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Last edited by sks on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midnight7503

Post by midnight7503 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:57 pm

I asked this question way back in the forum
viewtopic.php?t=2212&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195
and no one seemed interested at the time, obviously I was thinking way to fast for the rest of you, or you just hadn't thought the ride through enough, if you'd started talking about it then, you may have come up with an answer by August this year, but with all the inhouse fighting, I cant see you guys deciding anything quickly
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Mon May 11, 2009 9:58 pm

The way I see it is,

If you notify the police then you have a higher chance of being stopped and harassed, in each state.

If you don't notify the police then you have a lower chance of being stopped and harassed, in each state.

This is all just hypothetical worry, why bother.

No one is out to break any laws so why the big hassle to tell the man that you are riding through.

Just ride your bikes and if the police find the need to stop you in a random event then so be it.

Stop being a bunch of worry warts.
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Mon May 11, 2009 10:03 pm

midnight7503 wrote: but with all the inhouse fighting, I cant see you guys deciding anything quickly
What inhouse fighting?
It's called self expression and Bear and I can express ourselves as much as we want.
:lol:
Should be funny after a few drinks though.

(I'll get the first shout Bear)

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon May 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Okay, Wild Turkey for me!!!! :lol:

Thespis

Post by Thespis » Mon May 11, 2009 10:09 pm

Spokes wrote:
Bearcx wrote:I seem to have upset you, Spokes.

But if we are seen as group and they don't expect us and then have to go through the rigmarol of hassling us then we don't have that freedom do we.
The question is will we be better off and less hassled with or without prior notification.
How can we best enjoy our ride regardless of our so called freedom is what I am trying to work towards.
FWIW...and I only have the current WA situation to gauge this.
(harrassment incorporated if they decide there is a reason to think you are affiliated with a 1% club...like riding a chop or a HD.
There's been some recent events in WA that have really gotten under my skin....situations that, if they ever occur to me, will probably end in my arrest; because there is no way I will accept that level of harrassment. Ever. But I'll leave this for another thread...
)

I believe that the group will have less hassles if it doesn't announce itself. This is a law abiding group of motorcyclists, out on a legal group ride. If we announce our intentions we infer that the police need to know what we are doing.

This is a really difficult question...and one that I wish I had an answer for...but I have to say that when push comes to shove I believe we will have far more hassles if we announce our plans to the police. If we have nothing to hide we have no reason to tell them anything.
cheers
Thespis
W.A.

1982 XLH (getting there...)
2009 Speed Triple
2005 FZ1/DJP sidecar (sidecar very soon)
'68/'76 T140V Chop

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 pm

I would imagine that taking the inland route will minimise any attention we are likely to receive. I saw very little police activity when we went through.

Great ocean road has always been a worry.

SA will should ok as I have arranged with one of our members to quietly notify his personal contacts within the road traffic branch that we are just a bunch of old fogies on old 70's bikes doing a nostalgic run... and that we have been invited to show our bikes at the National Motor Museum. We are also taking the Coorong route as a less travelled way.

I can ask this guy if his contacts could pass a quiet word onto the appropriate Vic police.

I personally suspect that official notification will attract unwanted attention, but i have always tended to be a bit of a "suspicious of state authority" underground type!

The spirit of the ride as I have understood it is for a bunch of guys to have a great time doing a very basic old time interstate ride, so i'd prefer to keep things as simple as possible... therefore no charities and organisation type involvement.

I think it important now that something is afoot in that area, that Phil asks Ulysses group mentioned about their relationship with local police and if it is good for them to have a quiet word (or preferably no word) spoken.

Keep you ideas coming... everyone's comment is valuable.

In the end... SA side is covered. I'll trust PC as being overall responsible for the Mega Ride to weigh everything that's been said and make a decision.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

BobbaZooki

Post by BobbaZooki » Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 am

The way i see it ...... it will be enevertable that at some stage of the ride that we are going to be pulled-over by the Plod ..... weather we notify them or not .

Return to “Mega Ride 2009”