Police Liason

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!

Should we advise police before the Mega Ride

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 19

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Wed May 13, 2009 8:21 am

ben wrote:I thought that a no patch ride would be the go.

Don't the Ulysses wear a big patch on their back, if you invite them, then it would only be fair to invite other patch clubs for the ride.

:roll:
Apparantly they are the biggest club in Australia - just not big enough to tell the outlaws to get stuffed when they were told that they cannot wear rockers with their patches.
Funny that - outlaws threatening violence on other bikers to get their own way. Thats the bikers spirit isn't it.

anyway... I don't have a problem with them seeing us through town as they probably have many of their members that will be influential in town and therefore could be good to befriend in case we need help in anyway.
Shoudn't burn bridges when we haven't even crossed them but we should keep the lines of communications open so we know about these things before hand, which I think is Shauns issue in the first place.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

XSChop

Sorry PC

Post by XSChop » Wed May 13, 2009 9:32 am

samks wrote:
Andrew CA Admin wrote:.........I'll trust PC as being overall responsible for the Mega Ride to weigh everything that's been said and make a decision.......
I thought that we where discussing the pro's and con's here to make a decision, together, as mature, responsible adults. not pitching to PC to hold our hand :shock:
Well now that's news to me.
I'm sorry but I didn't realise that PC was overall responsible for the Mega Ride.
I went to the meeting at Bobba's and PC wasn't there and ended up with the job of organising the NSW leg.
At no time was I made aware that I should run things past PC.
I simply posted what I was doing on the forum (mainly at Mega Ride route and details...) and asked for comments and went ahead based on what comments I got.

So now, if PC would like to please review what is set out in the Map I would be happy to adjust whatever he is unhappy with.
Alternatively I can just pull my head in and stop trying to be helpful.

On the issue of overorganising, I am quite happy with whatever level of organisation the members (or maybe it's just PC) want.
Just trying to do what I see as wanted.
Sorry for not knowing I was supposed to report to you PC.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Wed May 13, 2009 9:37 am

Tell the cops???
The last time we did that they set up a booze bus for us, blaggards.
If they are informed, that sets off a series of protocols that they have to follow.
I say, a big fat NO, NYET.
Keep your head down, that way it cant be shot off. When and if they get to pull one or all of us over, be nice, have as much of the correct paper work that you’ll need and try and be sober.
Vote NO from me

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed May 13, 2009 10:55 am

Ol Fart has same thoughts as me re any official notification. Re XS and organising things. No harm done. I should have made a point of asking people to run things by PC, so my mistake. Illustrates the importance of our attitudes to each other.

A couple of old adages: "always think the best of the other", "don't be quick to find fault" " If you suspect anything of your brother, see him in private first" How many times do we all forget these guides to good relationships.

My favourite, which is pinned up in my office is... "don't let a small dispute spoil a great relationship"...

Everyone putting forward their views and ideas is vital to the success of any of our endeavours... yet in the end, someone has to make the final decision based on all the information put forward. Good/Bad thing about that is he gets the praise when it works and the blame when it doesn't... lets the rest of us off the hook!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Spokes

Re: Sorry PC

Post by Spokes » Wed May 13, 2009 11:11 am

="XSChop
Well now that's news to me.
I'm sorry but I didn't realise that PC was overall responsible for the Mega Ride.
I went to the meeting at Bobba's and PC wasn't there and ended up with the job of organising the NSW leg.
At no time was I made aware that I should run things past PC.
I simply posted what I was doing on the forum (mainly at Mega Ride route and details...) and asked for comments and went ahead based on what comments I got.

So now, if PC would like to please review what is set out in the Map I would be happy to adjust whatever he is unhappy with.
Alternatively I can just pull my head in and stop trying to be helpful.

On the issue of overorganising, I am quite happy with whatever level of organisation the members (or maybe it's just PC) want.
Just trying to do what I see as wanted.
Sorry for not knowing I was supposed to report to you PC.
Be under no misunderstanding that your efforts are very much appreciated XS.
You have gone above and beyond the call and I am sure that no one will disagree with me.
I think Shauns point is not so much a matter of having to report to him but maybe more a matter of informing CA members as a whole before any decision was made in relation to other bikers.
I may be wrong (as I often am) but it would be silly to set off on a three week trip with bad feelings right from the start. I will have enough trouble with all the people that don't like me because of my views on Hogs/4WDs/OMG's already so I want to try and keep the peace a little at least.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

78gold

Mega Ride

Post by 78gold » Wed May 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Well,
I have been off the air for 24 hours and this forum has gone ballistic. :)
I am going to abstain from voting here as I am going to take the position of fence sitter. I will go with the majority.

On the charity side, I am sorry if people thought it was written in such a way as to imply we "take advantage" of a charity, it was not meant that way. :? I do a bit with charities now and have actually been approached by 2 charity's that were interested in "Being taken advantage of" and had previously advised them we were not going down that path as it was meant to be a "Boys Own Annual" type ride and as such not too formal.

Regards
Nigel
Nigel
78 Gold

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed May 13, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm not asking for everything to be run past me, but at least it can be put on this most democratic of forums.
I am the overall co-ord for the whole of the ride and for the QLD stretch.

My intention when i first thought of it and made the suggestion was for a group of blokes on chops to ride to Andrews, i hope we don't over plan it and create disappointment.

The idea for each state co-ord was to try to simplify the route planning, as there's certainly no point me trying to plan anything south of the Goldie as i'm new to these parts :o

So the state co-ord can arrange border meets and get us to the next state and so on.

I don't have an issue with the Ulysses at all, my issue was that it appeared that a CA event was kinda getting hijacked by them.
And the first i heard about it was on this forum.

So thanks Phil for your work so far, i am very grateful. The route planner is great, i'll be the bloke at the back following you buggers who know where you're going!!!

:D

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Wed May 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Pommy, I'm with ya big fella.
I have a mate in Brisbane who wants to join the ride. He doesnt have a computer so he's missing out on this stuff.
Does anybody mind if he joins in with you, He's on a modified Harley. He's about 60 and can hold his own with best of them.
If anybody thinks this is a bad idea, I'll get him to ride straight down here and he can join the ride with me.
Do you think I should get him to become a member? Is there other members that have got stragglers like this? Can anybody give me a million dollars to spend for a few days?

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed May 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Ol Fart wrote:Pommy, I'm with ya big fella.
I have a mate in Brisbane who wants to join the ride. He doesnt have a computer so he's missing out on this stuff.
Does anybody mind if he joins in with you, He's on a modified Harley. He's about 60 and can hold his own with best of them.
If anybody thinks this is a bad idea, I'll get him to ride straight down here and he can join the ride with me.
Do you think I should get him to become a member? Is there other members that have got stragglers like this? Can anybody give me a million dollars to spend for a few days?
Olly, there are many stragglers coming along...i now know of possibly 6 or so.
None are members, some don't even have the net but kno about us and the run through me and Pommychoppers.

The more the merrier, so long as the mindset is right it's all good.

And if anyone's not sure about anything, PM your state co-ord for the ride, or me or Andrew.

It's just meant to be a laugh, so lets try to keep it that way eh??? :D

Gotta dash....Ciders calling :D

pullmyfinga

Post by pullmyfinga » Wed May 13, 2009 7:24 pm

I afraid I haven't been keeping up with the Mega Ride but having a look tonight I have a thought. If there is concern about over attention by the powers that be, should we tell 'em,should we keep to ourselves ? Be confident that if "they" want to justify their existence and make life tedious for others they have used their computers to read all that has been written. Route,times,who,what & where,they've got the lot.
It looks like there isn't a lot of time to spare so having a charity theme doesn't give the time that endeavour needs. Good P.R. but changes the whole idea anyway.
Anyone hear about the cannonball run style overnight ride that went from Sydney to the Gold Coast a few years ago? Minimal promotion but got 1/2 the NSW police farce out on overtime. Yes, the riders were playing up a bit,in fact a lot. Speeding tickets,machinery inspections,you name it, they dished them out. Yes, you guys aren't out there to break the rules but no amount of good intentions will mean a thing if someone in authority gets his bum in a knot. Whether or not the ride gains undue attention will probably fall to the whim of some nameless,faceless public servant.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed May 13, 2009 8:08 pm

pullmyfinga wrote:I afraid I haven't been keeping up with the Mega Ride but having a look tonight I have a thought. If there is concern about over attention by the powers that be, should we tell 'em,should we keep to ourselves ? Be confident that if "they" want to justify their existence and make life tedious for others they have used their computers to read all that has been written. Route,times,who,what & where,they've got the lot.
It looks like there isn't a lot of time to spare so having a charity theme doesn't give the time that endeavour needs. Good P.R. but changes the whole idea anyway.
Anyone hear about the cannonball run style overnight ride that went from Sydney to the Gold Coast a few years ago? Minimal promotion but got 1/2 the NSW police farce out on overtime. Yes, the riders were playing up a bit,in fact a lot. Speeding tickets,machinery inspections,you name it, they dished them out. Yes, you guys aren't out there to break the rules but no amount of good intentions will mean a thing if someone in authority gets his bum in a knot. Whether or not the ride gains undue attention will probably fall to the whim of some nameless,faceless public servant.
Wise words indeed.

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri May 22, 2009 7:27 pm

I'm not remotely interested in telling Mr Plod about the run.. As several people pointed out, it will probably make little difference to their attitude. Also for me, it reeks of sucking up and asking permission to ride.

Also I have no problems with the Ulysses riding with us at any time, but I feel that they should leave any choice of telling Mr Plod et al to us.

I am more interested in the ride then in the charity.. I don't mean to be mean, but if we wanted to do a charity ride, I feel that it ought to be such from the start..

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Fri May 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Good point
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

78gold

Permission to Ride

Post by 78gold » Fri May 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Billy,
To late I have already sucked up and made many promises to get on the ride.
Thats Married life for ya.:lol:

On reflection of all points I am now a No as well.

Just means I will have to fit my chain gaurd, Front Fender etc. :roll:
Nigel
78 Gold

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri May 22, 2009 9:29 pm

Ulysses riders I have met, are genuine riders. But if they wear a back patch/colours, they are breaching CA regs. Sorry Guys.

As stated, if the Boys in Blue, want to find out about the Mega ride, they can read this forum.

Ride where you want, with whom you want. You don't need permission or approval from anybody.

There is no dictatorship, we are not a Police state, (yet), so ride free.

Just my opinion.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Mega Ride 2009”