MEGA RIDE; THE STORY

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!
Bacca

Post by Bacca » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Just wondering who's this bike is & what happened to it?

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 pm

It's Robs bike 74 chopper, he had to go home as his Mrs. don't let him out for too long cos he scares people!! :D

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:14 pm

We I have been makin the yanks jalous of us riding as they pack their bikes in the shed as the snow starts, I will edit these posts later as they are in miles instead of k's.

Bacca's day 1 of the Mega Ride
I got the Trumpy loaded in shed as we were getting rain.
Rode down to Mortlake with a gin on me face, an adventure plus the chance to do ministry, rang Ollie AKA Ol Fart when I got there & found he & some others were doing maintenance so hadn't left but gave me the number of the new leader, got him as they were on a break but well behind schedule so now were only going as far as Apollo Bay so now I had to head backward up the Great Ocean Road via Princetown to meet them at Apollo Bay about 100k before were I had arranged to meet them making a ride of 300k for the first day. From Mortlake on the roads went to the pack, looked like they had sealed over a dirt road with the mound in the middle, also I was now starting to go over the Otway Ranges so what a combination, rain, bad road, big hills & did I mention wind? In places the road follows the ridge of a hill, had a howling cross wind that in 1 place blew the Trumpy a meter off course before I managed to straiten it, I was down to 70kph here. On top of all this I was also getting bar wobbles, but got down to the coast & now had to go over the higher part of the Otways to get to Apollo Bay,
with the rain I now had to contend with tight winding roads up the mountain with streams of water running over the road bringing with it leaves & bark so down to 20mph on a lot of the corners - no smile on me face now as this is the worst riding I have done in my life plus I know I have to come back over this road tomorrow!!! Finally come out in a wide flat valley with a winding road along the edge as this is a flood plain but this section of road is dry & smooth so start to enjoy winding the Trumpy out through the gears, boy that exhaust note sounds good. Over another smaller hill & I come out along the beach for a few k's then hit Apollo Bay & find a servo to refuel. Just after sending a text message to the ride leader I spot the 650 Yam chopper I had seen in the pics go by so off up the road to find Phil booking into the caravan park then back into town to find a line of bikes outside the pub,
were else would ya find bikers?
They turned out to be a nice bunch, we had pizza for tea thanks to Judy going and getting it in the support van, do I look stuffed?
I crashed in the van soon after, only cost us $20 each for the night.
I rode 300 kilometers from my home in Stawell the first day in terrible ridding conditions, the others had ridden down from Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road.
Last edited by Bacca on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Bacca's day 2
Early rise, still loading bike as others leave van for cabin over other side of park so rushing to get going as I don't want to hold them up but find that others are still gettin ready at cabin when I get there then down to servo as they haven't filled up then find I have left me Trumpy bandanna behind, not holden them up goin back for it. Over the small hill & back along the wide valley then someone spots the old Trumpy chopper is trailing heat bandage from the exhaust, lucky for him it didn't get under the rear wheel!
Once re-wrapped we go up to Larva Hill on top of the Otways, the junction of 4 roads for brecky, egg & backon for me. As I was still getting bar wabbals even after puttin more air in tyres I asked & put my gear in the van, that helped a lot plus had bike packed with weight at back behind rear axle I worked out when packing bike to come home.
We had a loverly view as we ate then back down those terrible roads, worst ridin I have ever done but great they are going easy like me then back to the coast with it's sweeping bends but the surface is startin to get bad, why aren't they maintaining a major tourist road?
Got to the 12 apostles, they found the money to build a new car park on the other side of the road with shop & walkway under the road, pitty about road leadin there.
Rugged coast didn't impress most of them so we set off for Warmabool, unfortunately the Trumpy chopper loses power so onto the trailer it goes.
Note the wind farm generating electricity in the background.
About 25 miles before Warnabool another bike gets a flat so on the trailer & off to find were half the riders have got to, find them at the servo up the road. Harry buys some long rubber boots at the farm supply next door as his slip on boots are lettin the rain in.
We the head to the bike shop in Warnabool to get the tyre fixed
We go ahead to Portland for a late lunch, the others will catch up there.
I took over the lead from Portland to Port Macdonnell were we lived for 7 years, stopped at the state border for a pic.
Lots of bikes at the caravan park, Adelaide crew are there waiting for us.
We went down to the pub for tea, hardly reconised it as it has a new big bistro
Port MacDonnell is a small fishing village that catches a lot of rock lobster
We yacked into the night in the bunk house, I ended up with the worst snorer in my room!!!!!!!!!!!
As the night went on Mark asked me if I was an outlaw because of me colors, that shocked me but seems some crims are hidein behind Christian colors givin us a bad name!!! It was good gettin to know people I have only met on a forum but at about 3am the driver of the car decided to do an imitation of a tree being cut down (too much booze) this bang brought in a heap of the others who had been sleeping, they seemed unimpressed for some reason so went to bed soon after. Mark is from Ballarat so can catch him up as only 110k's from me, he's the guy who was riding the old Trumpy chopper. Good to meet another chopper jockey in my area but that is what this network is about.
Apollo Bay to Port Macdonnell was another ride of aprox 300k
Last edited by Bacca on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:19 pm

Bacca's day 3
Port Macdonnell to Prof's place near Adelaide
Bikes lined up for picks before leaving
Then it was off to Mt Gambier for fuel & brecky at Macca's, about 20 bikes in all. We hear at Macca's the old Trumpy has died & the new blue Trumpy has headed for home.
(Remember Oz has a lot lower population so less bikes)
From Macca's we head to Millicent through low hills with plenty of sweeping bends, great riding! After Millicent it is open flat farm land with long straits so wound the Trumpy up to the ton to get ahead of the pack traveling at 75, thought I had got far enough ahead but by the time I had stopped the bike & got me gloves off the front runners were going past, got some video of the back bikes then took ages at the ton as I was now about a mile behind, enjoyed the quick burst even if I missed most of them on video. We pull into Kingston for fuel & a snack.
Then we hit the Coorong, lakes along the coast so more sweeping bends along the dunes but the road surface is starting to break up so not as enjoyable as it could have been pulling up at Meningie for some pics of the bikes
Fuel up, bite to eat & off again
Paul loaned his Honda chopper to the guy that had a piston burn in his early Trumpy chopper so now he was on the back of bikes sitting backward weaving through the pack getting riding shots & video
Next we come to the ferry over the Murray river, we wait for the 2nd crossing to give stragglers time to catch up
From here the countryside is pretty little hills & enjoyable riding till we hit the Adelaide hills proper, Trumpy is still handling like a bucket of bolts on these roads so corner very carefully then use the power to catch up on the short straits - boy I hope a new front tyre fixes it!!!!
We come out on the main road, nice smooth wide road to the bottom & Willunga then a couple of miles out of town to Prof's & the Biker Hilton - carpet, wood heating with plenty of mattresses to throw the sleeping bag on, fantastic but leaves me wondering why I have my tent as it hasn't been used, no complaints about that tho.
Prof's Chopper Shop proves popular as we check out the projects in the shed
The day ended with a hot meal as some club members had cooked up casserole
We then enjoyed the fire outside our "Hilton" as the numbers drifted off to bed, some locals that had ridden down to Port MacDonnell went home

Sorry if I have got any of the details wrong, memory ain't what it used to be!
A few pics were borrowed from here so may have been seen, this was put up on Chopperfix & Chopper Underground as well.

Port Macdonnell to Prof's place at Willunga aprox 470k
Last edited by Bacca on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Paul bike surfin on the beach in sunset

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:44 am

Well hare gettin back to reality after that adventure but back to work today.
If it is quiet I will try to get up a report on how I saw the weekend & the goin home. Have some pics in me photobucket but most are on puter here.
A adventure like that every now & then does ya good once ya over 50, still feel 25 but the akes & pains when I get home let me know I'm not :?

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:47 pm

The Mega Ride was about the ride but we had a show n shine on Saturday, some northerners were still coming after the Liberty pranged. The show judging was along home built theme over bucks spent.
The trophys to reconise good work by owner/builders
We had lunch in the pub watching a slide show of the ride
A few interesting cars floating about, we were next to a street market.
Later in the arvo we went back to Prof's in time for the last few northerners to show up after a ride of up to 2,683 km from Brisbane by googal maps!!! Any from further north?
The local lad showing the way in warned the northerners of the tricky corners then showed the why!!!
The hat and shades I ware at the show proved popular with the lads
Another evening spent getting to know each other better along with Madis from Estonia getting the long distance award, he also road the Virago all the way down from Brisbane.

The main criteria for the run was ya like choppers, most that weren't ridin one are building 1

Tex

Post by Tex » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:28 pm

chop 69 wrote: ITS A BIG THUMBS UP TO HARLEY DAVIDSON FROM ME !!! I'm with you all the way TEX. Cheers to the sweetest ride on the planet. I'm shore you will all bag me out for this,But before you open your chops, Treat you self to a special something. "The american dream" I might have to sell th triumph to get myself a deposit. hahah :twisted:
Enjoyed riding with you, Big Guy!! Hatchet, chop 69, Young Harry, XS Chop & me in tight formation, up the front, riding the sweepers into S.A.! Just the best thrill, best ride, quickest ride of the trip. Loved it!! :D :D

_____
Tex

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Missus has been in hospital for a week so been down the big smoke & got back last night.
I just wanted to finish this up before memory gets it too wrong starting with some pics of the beach cruze Sunday night.
This was great to ride on the hard surface beach as not allowed in most parts of Oz
Half of the interstaters left for home Monday
The others were waiting for their mate to fix his clutch which he blew doing burnouts Sunday night
So a relaxing day Monday
Some tried out the foot clutch, hand shift on WLA bob
The shovel & Honda chops got tried out a bit too
Gringo made use of the workshop to fit a sissybar, he clipped a ute & broke his hand on the way home
The others left early Tuesday morning
Trumpy got a custom screen fitted before my 2 day trip home
Home at last after knocking up about 1800 kilometers over 8 days
tho few were ridden over the weekend & Monday.
Others still had a couple of days or so to go to get back to Sydney/Newcastle or Qld. I crashed at friends place at point B on way home
Last edited by Bacca on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

78gold

Mega Ride

Post by 78gold » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:58 pm

Fantastic pics and report.

I was in states, did Boston, Niagara Falls, San Francisco. Hire car was upgraded free of charge to a Mustang Convertible. Most of it paid for by my work. Pretty cool ehh.

Would have given it all up in a heartbeat to be on this ride and these reports are making me feel evenworse. I will be on the next one (You can take that to the bank).

Darnnnn, Darnn Darnn, wish I had been there.
Nigel
78 Gold

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:49 pm

OOoooooHHHh MMaaannn!!!!!! Great pics Bacca. thanks....looks like you blokes is livin the dream.

Tex

Post by Tex » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Good on ya, Bacca!!

Great stuff! Great pics!! :D :D

Hope most of them are on the CD when it's available??

______
Tex

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:53 am

Here is one for the group at the front, loved ridin with ya's

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks Bacca, just made that my new desktop background. David Mann really knew what it all means.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Mega Ride 2009”