winterfoods

A place for the girl friends, wives of riders or women riders to chat....
latelifecrisis

winterfoods

Post by latelifecrisis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Ok so I know it's springtime in the US, but here it will get chilly soon and I am a bit tired of the same old winterfoods. And would love to hear a few new ideas.
What are you girld cooking to warm up?

Rilda

Post by Rilda » Fri May 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Cooking up a storm!!!

I love hot soups... cook in large stockpot any leftover vegies in fridge for the week.. add some lentils or similar... and blend. Freeze some for later.

My favourite soups are pumkin and zucchini. I leave the peel on... cook in chunks with onions (and a little celery sometimes), salt, cayene and nutmeg in large stockpot... blend when cooked. Serve with a small spoon of plain yoghurt on top and chopped parsley. Freeze some meals.
Come on girls, start posting.

Rilda

Post by Rilda » Tue May 24, 2011 11:15 pm

I cooked a curry recently for Paul to take out to a curry night... it got some rave reports... I'd never made a "curry" curry before. I'd only added a teaspoon or so of curry to a caserole!
I'll have to think about what & how I did it and let you know. I know I began with Mr Google... the best recipe book out! ... and took ideas from a number of recipes.
Anyone else cook curries?

latelifecrisis

Post by latelifecrisis » Thu May 26, 2011 4:22 pm

I never cooked a curry, would not even know where to start. I am probably the worst cook there is.

My favourite food at this time of the year is split pea and ham soup. I make the trip to my german butcher and buy a few smokes bones and at least 2 smoked hamhocks. then I start cooking that early in the morning and let it simmer all day. The smell is a killer by the time it's dinner time i am starving...lol

I do like a nice texas chilli with nacho chips and heaps of cheese..yummy ( but DoA thinks that is spicy so i don't make it anymore )
I am blond

Rilda

Post by Rilda » Thu May 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Yes, long slow cooking really brings the flavour out. I can't wait to get a slow combustion cooker we purchesed 2nd hand, reconditioned and installed. It will help to keep the kitchen warm too.

I know little and create as I go. I rarely follow a proper recipe... some not so good... as I cook in bulk, the bad ones end up with a tin of Rosella tomato soup added or a teaspoon or so of curry or some chilli. LOL

latelifecrisis

Post by latelifecrisis » Thu May 26, 2011 5:39 pm

I tried for years to get the german flavours just right, but gave up in the end. Now if I want something german i just go to the german butcher, pick up the things that I can remeber Mom using and try to recreate one of her dishes. Not very successful I must admit.
I did see there was a german ( Bavarian place up on Mt tambourine) will have to check that out one day. Or in the worst case go home for a few weeks.
I am blond

Rilda

Post by Rilda » Thu May 26, 2011 7:12 pm

We have German butchers and bakers laid on in SA as we have a strong German community. Sooooo.... you will definitely have to come and visit!

latelifecrisis

Post by latelifecrisis » Thu May 26, 2011 9:55 pm

well I think the plan is to pop over for a cuppa in Nov :)
I am blond

Rilda

Post by Rilda » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:44 pm

That will be great!

And do you make streusel kuchen?
It's a favourite among the relies here.

latelifecrisis

Post by latelifecrisis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:23 pm

I don't bake anymore, just the two of us and doa doesn't really have a sweet cake tooth.
I am blond

latelifecrisis

Post by latelifecrisis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:36 pm

this is the recepie my Mom uses

4 Egg (s)
200 g Sugar
250 g Flour
1 tsp Baking powder
250 g Butter
200 g Sugar
350 g Flour
sweet cream
Fett für das Blech Butter for the tin

Zubereitung Preparation
. For the first four ingredients into a dough prepare and place on a greased baking sheet. Now, prepare the crumbs of 250 g of butter, 200 g sugar and 350 g of flour and spread on the dough.

The cake at 170 ° C in preheated oven about 30 minutes to bake (no guarantee because every oven is different!).

Once the cake is baked, spread the icing on the cake is still hot.

you can put fruit ( apples, plums etc in between the bottom and the crumbs)
I am blond

Return to “Girls talk”