Importing a Kit bike from the States

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
Matty812004

Importing a Kit bike from the States

Post by Matty812004 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:22 am

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows the possibility and procedure for inporting a small capacity kit bike from the states. I first saw this kit bike in The Horse a few issues ago about the build and more recently about registering them in the states. I am aware that the bike must meet the current ADR's and have no problems adhering to this but when I spoke to the Motor Reg Dept in SA the guy didn't know his head from his a@#. I the details for the kit bike can be found on www.kicker5150.com it looks like a cool little first project that i can palm off to the missus once built!!! Any help on procedures, costs, etc would be grateful.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:45 am

Currently this one on evilbay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/kikker-5150-chop ... 4a9fb593ed

And theres this Bloke who ive dealt with a few times, seems like a decent chap and has vehicle import buissness....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi, Do more than a 7 nanosecond search of the interwebs and you'll be presented with a brazillian reasons why you would not want to do any business with those folks. Same goes with that bike on eBay, I doubt if the owner has gone to the trouble to sort out all the problems.

You might wanna try Cleveland Cycle Works or if your looking for a fun bike that won't be registered, get Foopy to build you a frame and put a Lifan 150 motor in it.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Yeah what Neo said and also we are not allowed to bring any bike with a year of manufacture later that 1st January 1989.
Check out the customs site for more info.

Cheers :D

Matty812004

Post by Matty812004 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks, for your help guys! Ya probably saved me a packet! I will keep on looking out for a donor bike for my project, thanks again :D

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Beeza bantam frame, n a ct110......youd be on a winning combo there i reckon.......both cheap and plentiful.....wish i had one now
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Return to “Import advice...”