Chopper kit advice

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
marcaant

Chopper kit advice

Post by marcaant » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:09 am

Hi folks

after heaps of car projects I am pretty keen to take on a chopper build. I saw the Aussie godfather SMW kit. The price of 20k was pretty appealing but before I get that kit I was hoping I could get some advise on other kits available locally. I know of king pin. Is there anyone else I should contact locally before I go to smw. There may be another similar priced kit out there that's worth a look. Going for the custom chopper look rather than bobber style.

I wad budgeting about 10k on top of the kit (ie powdercoat and chrome compliance and airbrush - I'll do the base colour....enough?

Any kit advise or compliancing pointers would be most appreciated. I think I got a hold on the icv requirements but nothing is ever easy. I've learnt that with the transport department here in Perth over and over again.

I saw some nice choppers second hand for high 20k mark but pretty keen to build myself. I'm sure some ppl are gonna suggest not to bother due to compliancing but I'm looking forward to building.

Cheers

Marc

Tracker

Post by Tracker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 am

mate if i read you right you have a budget of $30,000, and if ur going for a kit i assume u are going to use a big twin motor, if this is all correct i would suggest you buy a cheap harley and chop it, they are out there if you know were to look
ride hard stay free

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:55 am

As above at 20k I don't think it would include motor or gearbox add another 10k for that
Dave

marcaant

Post by marcaant » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks tracker

scouser-

Yeah remebering the exchange rate is pretty good - these kits priced at 20k include engine and gearbox (southern motorcycle works may source them from China or may build inhouse - I haven't asked:

the SMW ad says it includes as follows:
127" Polished SMW, Inc. Proof Series Motor with S&S carb. and intake kit
Southern 6 Speed RSD Polished Transmission

10k was going to be for frame coating, any chrome, compliancing related costs, engineering and airbrush.

Any other advise appreciated.

cheers

gsand
Interests: Riding bikes.

Post by gsand » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:25 am

For what its worth, alot of the bikes on this site probably have less than $5000 in them.

Don't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money to have a cool bike, but feel free to :)

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 pm

I would buy an already registed bike and customise it, much easier and cheaper.

Look for something that already has the basic looks and go from there, there are loads of bikes that fit this discription.

My 2 cents.

Good luck with it.

Another idea, post some pics of the style of bike you like on here and I am sure others will help you find what your looking for, this will help speed up your efforts and even make it cheaper for you.
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:14 pm

I agree with mr bendnstretch. I would not go for a kit bike but a bike with potential to be an excellent donor for hardtailing or what have you. This way you can use the bike of your choice with a conventional drivetrain that is easy to get parts for i.e harley, triumph yamy these all look cool once once chopped, and parts availability is good instead of having only one place you can get your parts from! this sucks if they go out of business leaving you with something you have to make parts for and a donor is a far cheaper option :mrgreen:

marcaant

Post by marcaant » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

thanks for the positive advise guys.

Ok here is the kit - it but it will give you an idea of the look I am going for:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SMW-Inc-Australi ... 27b8493c41

I thought a soft tail with wide rear conversion could achieve a similar look?
Do you guys have any other ideas for suitable donors.

id l'ke to keep the low sleek look and avoid the high top tubes.

Totally understand your point about buying a rego'd bike and going from there. Ive taken that path when building cars many times but would be great to for once have a totally complied and legal vehicle. esp if i ever go to resell.

marcaant

Post by marcaant » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:09 pm

this is cool

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/p ... &silo=1400

suitable donors ideas?

cheers

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:28 pm

A 1990 onwards heritage,softail or deuce with 5 degree raked neck cups and a wide tyre swingarm conversion will get a similar look to that which you are looking for but you you can buy one for about 13 to 16 grand depending on mileage and condition.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Give this guy a call and see if you can beat him down another $5K or so and try and score it for around $35K. He'd already be losing about $30K from what's he paid to sell it at the advertised price!
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehi ... Z246091849

You'd easily spend the same amount if not more to get your kit bike on the road, and unlike the kit bike this has a top of the line engine and gearbox rather than cheap Chinese junk, and this is already registered in WA.
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:13 pm

I got an idea.
Don't be sheep.
Chop a yamaha instead and save yourself $25,000.00
and you end up with a bike that you can ride more than twice a year.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

marcaant

Post by marcaant » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:17 pm

yeah nice aint it skitzo

thanks for the advice spokes - ive seen some great yami chops

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:51 pm

marcaant wrote:thanks for the positive advise guys.

Ok here is the kit - it but it will give you an idea of the look I am going for:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SMW-Inc-Australi ... 27b8493c41

I thought a soft tail with wide rear conversion could achieve a similar look?
Do you guys have any other ideas for suitable donors.

Looks like that front will breeze through the 550 rule, nice lookin bike

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 pm

If you want to get an idea of what all the Harley range can look like with wide tyre kits etc. have a look here
http://www.chopperworks.com.au

They seem to sell wide tyre kits for just about everything
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “Import advice...”