Help Me please (Import Issues)

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
The.Goat.In.Boots

Help Me please (Import Issues)

Post by The.Goat.In.Boots » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:06 am

Hey Guy's,

So Im building my first chopper/bobber, a 650 Triumph, and I need some help. I have decided to go for a kit import from the USA. I know what your thinking, but seeing as it's my first build I thought I would take an easier option. Thing is, I have no idea about how to go about organising an import. The .gov website is so complicated about importing a custom kit. I have contacted an import broker (All American Imports) but I'm starting to think that maybe having the guy send a few separate boxes as "parts". Does anyone have info on this such as legal ramifications. Also, if I get a custom frame from the USA with a MSO (Manufactures statement of origin) does that count as an engineers cert? I have so many questions about the import laws and how far they extend as far as parts or "whole bike" goes. I have some great ideas for this bike and I'm super stolked on it.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

The Mountain Goat!

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Mate, I'm no expert, but I believe its easier to import cars or bikes in pieces, then re-assemble them here. You just need someone reliable over there, to dis assemble and box all the bits for you.

Any ideas anyone??
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:58 am

It's a complex question with complex answers . I'll attempt to answer the gentlemans questions off forum .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:01 am

O.K an M.S.O is not an engineers cert problem 1, engineering aint cheap problem 2.
if you do wish to import it, it has to come as parts frame and front end have to be in 2 different shipments rims can travel with either shipment problem 3.
you can bring it in but its cheaper to bring in an older bike you get charged wuth G.S.T on everything and they charge like a wounded bull for unloading split loads out of containers $200 per cubic metre + G.S.T, dont ask me how I know this but I do. In the end what you will get is really cheap parts with an unbelievably exspensive shipping and G.S.T cost problem 4.
How to rectify your problems talk to hemitech he is on here somewhere he does aftermarket frames and bolt on hardtails for trumpys in Sydney all imported from the U.S in complete container loads so you dont bleed cash he also can get it through the rego drama for you. :mrgreen:

The.Goat.In.Boots

Post by The.Goat.In.Boots » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks Lads, this is all great advice!

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:35 am

I see your running two threads here.
I posted my thoughts on the other thread.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:30 am

Looking for that third topic thread. Someone posted some details about importing a bike from the states with costs etc. I can't find it now.

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:18 am

If in doubt ask an Importer . The rules & requirements change regularly and wihout notice . It might cost you alittle more But if you get the paperwork wrong it will cost you . Alot of what is out there is either out of date or simply wrong .

Guys like me do this for a living and it's our jobs to keep up with the latest requirement . Plus anticipate the next round of changes so we don't get caught with ours pants down if the government has yet another great idea .

Ebay is currently full of Harleys that people have self imported , got the paperwork wrong and they are selling without an Australian Compliance Plate . I inspected a Nightrod over the weekend for a client in Perth . No mention of it being an import and the seller bare faced lied about it being a local bike . Shame it didn't have a local compliance plate . When I explained to the seller what i do for a living he backflipped and was desperate for me to help him get his bike a local Compliance plate . But , there is really nothing I could once it reached that stage . He followed advise on an well known forum and it landed him a White Elephant .

Now , if you are looking at importing a bike from the US have a look at my website . It has alot of good information and is a good place to start . I can help you the rest of the way after that .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for that! I will check out your site.

Return to “Import advice...”