Email recieved. I will send Hatty a link to this page

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Email recieved. I will send Hatty a link to this page

Post by Prof » Sun May 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Hey Men,i am Alan Hatfield or Busselton in Western Australia and i am a Mr mum of 4 and on a pension trying to build a 1966 T120 Chopper with a modified frame from the U,S but the frame has know numbers on it so i can't use it for my build and would like to have another frame made up as cheap as possible from Australia but if i can't get it done cheap enough then i will get it from the U,S through J,P Cycles as my brother is a member of there site and can get discounts but i would like my money to stay in Australia if possible,the problem with my frame is that the neck has been changed and another put in its place from a GSXR and when they changed necks well the Triumph frame numbers are on the neck and that is the main problem for me so i am hopeing you guys can put me in the right direction as i love Choppers and need help to get on the road as soon as possible and hope i can finnish my build over this winter,,Choppers forever,,Hatty.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Neo Dutch

Options?

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun May 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Buy a Factory Metal Works frame from Trojan on eBay.

GSXR frames are Aluminium, your Trump frame is most likely steel, so I doubt the neck is from a GSXR.

Sell the Trump and buy a registered Japper and go from there.

Stamp your engine numbers onto the frame and plead ignorance.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Brassy

Re: Email recieved. I will send Hatty a link to this page

Post by Brassy » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

no numbers on 66 trumpy frames , motor is vin !
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon May 14, 2012 10:06 am

Living off a pension and trying to put a chopper together in WA using a custom frame!? My advice would be to forget the idea of a Chopper and customise a licensed metric like Neo has suggested. Anything else will land you in ICV territory in WA and that will end up being expensive, especially in such an isolated location as Busselton.

Or buy something already licensed and slowly change it to your tastes over time. Here's a rego'd rigid pre-unit Triumph in WA going for less that it would cost you get a project on the road yourself...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maylands ... /349112271
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

KBG

Post by KBG » Mon May 14, 2012 11:59 am

Brassy wrote:no numbers on 66 trumpy frames , motor is vin !
Why did they not put numbers on frames in 66?
some meaningless dribble

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Mon May 14, 2012 5:04 pm

I'll dis-agree Brassy . They did have frame numbers on Triumphs in 66 . With any Brit Bike people get their knickers in a twist if the numbers aren't matching . That is the engine numbers not matching the frame . This one for example is a 67' and as it says - Matching Engine and Frame numbers http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRIUMPH-1967 ... 3a74182798

Harleys are a different matter . Harley started numbering frames in 1970 . Before that any frame number is a government issued one and not something done at the factory .

There are only a few reasons why a genuine 60's Triumph has no numbers and none are good . A frame a competitor imported with the "No Numbers" got acid tested and the old number was off a stolen Californian 68' T120 it turned out . Luckily he was the one that did the Acid Test and not the cops .

With aftermarket frames many were never numbered and these are in many cases legit . Some have a legit VIN stamped into them but it's a case of re-stamping to keep a Title . That used to be semi-legal in the US and was a widely used process but in Australia it is classified as Veicle Rebirthing .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Tue May 15, 2012 1:10 am

sorry dude I thought they were the same as the harleys. Hey I am a harley guy and most trumpets I have worked on are backyard abortion jobs to begin with non-stock frames and scary front ends .
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Tue May 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Easy mistake mate . Alot of the early aftermarket frames only had a model number stamp . At some time they started to stamp serial numbers(not VIN's) but these were only to tell how many they made . These pre-date todays MSO's and are a direct ancestor of them .

Having a VIN on an older frame that looks factory is usually a re-stamp off a donor frame .

Because they used to never share information between the states you could get away with using numbers off a bike pinched in NSW in Victoria . Occasionally , some older frames that have VIN's come up as stolen for that reason so run any numbers before using a frame with them on it .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue May 15, 2012 5:49 pm

El Skitzo wrote:Here's a rego'd rigid pre-unit Triumph in WA going for less that it would cost you get a project on the road yourself...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maylands ... /349112271
Wow, that is sweet.!! He gets a fail for the seat, but, it looks real good. Like the "bristles" in the paint work.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed May 16, 2012 10:01 am

Bearcx wrote:Like the "bristles" in the paint work.
I've seen the bike up close before, and the paint has that marbleized effect done to it.
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “Import advice...”