Titled chopper import

I have asked Choppaweeza provide advice based on his business experience in this forum. There are a variety of ways of avoiding Australian regulations... please don't expect him to give advice in those areas.
JAC

Titled chopper import

Post by JAC » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 am

Hi Folks,

I had my bike I bought in the US stripped and sent to Aus. The mechanicals/tins are here already and the frame/wheels are due tomorrow.

My intention was to go through the ICV process to get it registered here. I rang the guy who I would use to complete that process yesterday.

He has stated that because the frame was titled/registered in the US it should have been brought back complete (personal import). He suggested it can't be registered as an ICV.

Now buying a frame with an MSO here is not that costly. Finding one that my tins/mechanicals will just "fit" into is highly unlikely, so I would prefer to use the frame i have.

Can anybody shed any light here? Is the frame really going to be discussion point inside my front door, never to see the road?

JC

El Skitzo

Re: Titled chopper import

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 am

Couldn't you just take the compliance plate off the frame, grind off and fill in where any numbers were and then treat it as a brand new bare frame. I know there would be no MSO but couldn't an engineer take care of that?
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

JAC

Post by JAC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:37 pm

I had considered welding a new neck stem in. Theyre pretty cheap!

It would also be a good time to take some rake out of the neck.

panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Do you know what brand of frame it is? If so you should be able to get a replacement MSO from the manufacturer and off you go...

panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Do you know what brand of frame it is? If so you should be able to get a replacement MSO from the manufacturer and off you go... But that wont help with all the other receipts etc you'll need.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am

BMC aren't in business any more are they?
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

JAC

Post by JAC » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18 am

Nope. They're distributed out of motorcycles of Bend Oregon now and they're unresponsive.

JAC

Post by JAC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:00 am

Is anyone able to help out here? I've got a frame that is essentially going to be throw away. Doesn't really make sense to do that. I would sooner give someone a gorilla to register this frame than buy a new frame and have to fit all my gear to it.

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 am

I have a low typing speed so Call Me and I will talk you through it . That simple .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Return to “Import advice...”