Engineering an ICV in the ACT

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
Bacca

Post by Bacca » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Cromag wrote:the other thing i do if iam suss about frame number authenticity is do a REVS check, that data base will tell you if its a legit number, but not what bike etc.....basically if it comes back as No encumberances or not stolen, its legit..if the number is dodgey it wont let you process an enquiry.
http://revscheck.com.au/

What about how the yanks use the donner steering head with VIN, does this help here when building a custom frame?

XSChop

states

Post by XSChop » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Well Brendan, one of your problems is that you are in ACT (limited engineers and strict rules).
It is easier to get things passed in some other states (even NSW if only because there are more engineers to use) so this raises the question of what is transferrable between states.
I know of one member who went on the Mega Ride whose bike was passed by an engineer in VIC and when re registered in NSW they simply accepted the previous VIC engineering signatory's statement.
Now I'm not sure that this would work every time but it could be worth considering. ie get it engineered and passed and registerd in another state then when that expires apply again in ACT using the previous details.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

19brendan81

Post by 19brendan81 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 am

Yeah I have considered that too XS chop. I have emailed rego ACT asking them about this. Ill see what they say.

Brendan

19brendan81

Post by 19brendan81 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Reply back, here it is word for word. I told them I had found a chopper insterstate that had full rego and an engineering cert with it, and asked if I would need to get another engineering cert from an ACT signatory when I go over rego.

"The modified motor cycle will have to be inspected at Dickson Motor Vehicle Registry. It is a strong possibility that we may require another comprehensive engineering report but that assessment can only be make at the time of inspection."

So basically, they would want another engineers report. There goes that avenue.

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:22 pm

19brendan81 wrote:Reply back, here it is word for word. I told them I had found a chopper insterstate that had full rego and an engineering cert with it, and asked if I would need to get another engineering cert from an ACT signatory when I go over rego.

"The modified motor cycle will have to be inspected at Dickson Motor Vehicle Registry. It is a strong possibility that we may require another comprehensive engineering report but that assessment can only be make at the time of inspection."

So basically, they would want another engineers report. There goes that avenue.

I read this differently

"It is a strong possibility that we may require another comprehensive engineering report"

But then again if the bike is not to radical, and appeares well engineered they may not.

Mayber a talk with the inspector(s) about what sort of things they are looking for/wanting, may help, tell them off your "plans" to buy interstate and ask what pitfalls to avoid, most people will offer assistance when your not trying to dick them around, remember to pander to their egos a bit.

Hap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”