Sight fuel gauges legal or illegal

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
Brassy

Sight fuel gauges legal or illegal

Post by Brassy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:51 am

O.K are they legal on motorcycles. The container swinglift I operate at work has its own fuel tank this has a sight guage for diesel and another for hydraulic fluid both liquids are at opposite ends of the same tank and the tank is mounted on the outside of the chassis rails and its plated as a 2009 model, so this is legal and obviously safe or they wouldnt have one would they? if they can have one on the side of a trailer doesn't that mean you can have one on the outside of a motorsickle.
Seems fair to me! 8) :idea: :?:

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Iam not a lawyer (and dont you dare call me one!) but i read somewhere that 'if it isnt explicitly mentioned as illeagle......it aint'[/list]
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:26 am

I import the Flyrite Choppers range . That includes Sight Gauges . If properly secured they are NOT ILLEGAL but some Engineers just don't like them and will demand they be plugged before passing a bike however . Just make sure the fuel line isn't just push fit on and it's legit . Also make sure the fuel line is a decent type that doesn't go cloudly when in contact with Ethanol fuel as well as it looks bad when that happens
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 am

If some engineers don't like them, is that a whimsical thing or a regulation?
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

hemitech01

Re: Sight fuel gauges legal or illegal

Post by hemitech01 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:09 am

Brassy wrote:O.K are they legal on motorcycles. The container swinglift I operate at work has its own fuel tank this has a sight guage for diesel and another for hydraulic fluid both liquids are at opposite ends of the same tank and the tank is mounted on the outside of the chassis rails and its plated as a 2009 model, so this is legal and obviously safe or they wouldnt have one would they? if they can have one on the side of a trailer doesn't that mean you can have one on the outside of a motorsickle.
Seems fair to me! 8) :idea: :?:
You mention the equipment at work. Diesel and hydraulic fluid are non- flamable. Maybe this is why they are not a problem legaly.
I don't see why these gauges should be an issue if fitted correctly but in my oppinion (and it's only my oppinion), drilling more holes in petrol tanks is asking for more leaks potentially. I find opening the cap every now and then at the lights and checking the fuel level is not too difficult to do compared to welding bungs in tanks etc.

PS we import TFMW range but no sight gauges 8)

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:55 am

Ol Fart wrote:If some engineers don't like them, is that a whimsical thing or a regulation?
Whimsical . If they don;t like something they make up an excuse and fail it . I know of 2 that fail Sight gauges in Aus . Most however don't if they are installed properly
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:34 pm

Here's a tip. Know how far your bike goes on a tank. Know how far you've come. Take the cap off and look in if you are wondering.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Stopping to look in the tank is wasting time Neo, when you can see it from outside that is convenient as long as it is set up correctly to go from full to truly empty, not just for looks.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Who needs to stop?
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Match blows out if ya don't stop! :twisted:

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:29 pm

What about a cool sight guage on an oil tank that would look a little different than the norm or save having to take out the dipstick for a visual check.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Neo Dutch wrote:Who needs to stop?
I do sportster tanks dont hold much

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Brassy what a cool idea. I'll suggest that on the next bike I do... though will need to make sure the tube doesn't discolour with the hot oil.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 am

Yeah I havent seen one and the heat of the oil is a concern but in saying that hydraulic oil does get pretty warm and has been known to be quite combustible when hot. I will find out what kind of tubing they use on the hydraulic sight guage.

Triker_chewie

Post by Triker_chewie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:55 am

most hydraulic site glassses ive seen have glass tubes
dont forget that a site glass will incorporate a breather at the top somewhere if it doesnt return to the tank above the full level

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”