Sight fuel gauges legal or illegal

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 am

I have a few mechanical fuel gauges from a place I used to work . A simple float and really easy to modify . Used to be in liquid nitrogen tanks but one day I'll modify one to work on a chopper tank instead .

But , when properly done and with paintwork to suit a Sight Gauge looks good . But , get used to packing a spare piece of tubing just in case some stick fingered brat uses yours as a swing handle .

Here's what mine look like

Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

Aussiehard

Re: Sight fuel gauges legal or illegal

Post by Aussiehard » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Did you ever find out if they are legal????

Two Belts

Post by Two Belts » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:45 pm

I fail to see how they could be illegal when the fuel must run through a hose (which can be see through) that's simply clamped onto the tap and carb and which can even have a see through filter in it, again simply clamped into the hose. Thus, the possibility of leaks due to the clamps becoming loose or the hose being torn off in a crash are already there. A sight glass is nothing more than just another fuel line, that doesn't go anywhere. My bike doesn't have one but if it did and a cop wanted to book me for it or a rego person told me to take it off before he'd pass it, I'd point to the fuel lines and ask "what about these"?

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 pm

but if it did and a cop wanted to book me for it or a rego person told me to take it off before he'd pass it, I'd point to the fuel lines and ask "what about these"?
I'm not sure if it is legal or illegal but please try not to use logic on these people, they haven't got any and if they have they're not allowed to use it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Youngblood

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”