Trike regs

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
KBG

Trike regs

Post by KBG » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:40 pm

I was talking to a bloke a couple of months ago who came through town on a trike he had just bought min QLD.
Heading back to SA.
This trike was "fully compliant" he told me.
The front end was way over 550mm more like 700mm, which got me thinking.
Do trikes have to stay under 550mm or could I legally build a long wla trike or smilar?
Cheers Kev
some meaningless dribble

Aussiehard

Re: Trike regs

Post by Aussiehard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:06 pm

I have a feeling that trikes require longer forks or trail so there might be some exemption.
I did read about trikes in my researching of the regs but as I'm not building one I didn't store the data in the memory banks sorry.

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:41 pm

From my fuzzy memory trikes have a triangulation formula they have to comply with, in relation to the rear axle and the front end to prevent tip over when cornering, but i may be wrong.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

KBG

Post by KBG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks, I'll have to look at Vic Roads maybe they will have some info?
Anyone no if they have Trike regs?
some meaningless dribble

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:54 am

Trike regs for states a very specific. Trikes are categarised according to weight and seating (motor cycle style or bench). 550 rule does not apply to trikes as far as I know. Optimal trail on a trike I hear is considerably less than for two wheelers... in the range of a couple of inches. There is also I think in some states a weight balance requirement... ie you need a percentage on the front wheel for steering safety. The few trike riders I have spoken to say the front brake is for decoration only unless you have a lot of weight on the front!... and cornering technique is fairly critical...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”