STATUTORY WRITE OFF

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
Aussiehard

STATUTORY WRITE OFF

Post by Aussiehard » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Wondering what is involved with getting a bike that has been a STATUTORY WRITE OFF, back on the road.

I mean if you used the written off bike as a donor and got an aftermarket frame where do you stand?

I was looking at a late 98 SPORTSTER XL1200 XLH and thinking if I got a rigid frame. I might sell off the XS and build this project.

Neo Dutch

Re: STATUTORY WRITE OFF

Post by Neo Dutch » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:01 pm

All parts may be used with exception of the frame. It's VIN has been cancelled.

I've been looking at those bikes on eBay. Some will only need a few grand spent on them and they'd be as good as gold, but because the dealers over inflate the repair prices, the bike gets written off and the insuree will more than likely go and buy a new bike.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Was thinking the same and be easy if to re register if you used all original parts them bike just gets the new frame number.

What happens if you use say a kraftech rigid frame?? Does that complicate things overly?

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:26 pm

There are few ways around it . The frame in a Stat Write Off is worth Nada only scrap metal value . We are in the process of bringing in a 4 speed Evo Sportster for a bloke with a 98' Stat Write Off(front ended) . As the 4 speed(a 86') has an Import Approval but is otherwise a flogged dog and he's going to swap everything over off his old bike to it . It will cost him just over $3k to get it in and he's got people queuing up to buy his take off parts so he won't loose too much on the deal . But , that only works if you get a cheap flogged donor bike with a clean Title . I recently passed on an 88 Softail that needed a replacement engine for $3500 but if I had the parts just laying about to make a decent bike I would have gotten it .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

kooka

Post by kooka » Fri May 25, 2012 5:39 pm

I suppose it all depends on the damage. I bought my SV1000 back as a stat right off bought a set of busa forks, secondhand front wheel, exhaust and bars and took it straight over the pits

Kooka

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri May 25, 2012 5:58 pm

When??
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Flarris

Post by Flarris » Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 pm

stat write off, or rebuildable write off ?

xsive

Post by xsive » Fri May 25, 2012 7:03 pm

i was talking to some one in the know and was informed that a stat can be re registered by the original owner only after satisfying the rta :oops:
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”