Registering/Blue slipping modified bikes

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...

Registering/Blue slipping modified bikes

Post by ahm1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Just had a good offer on a pile of parts from a mate that with a few extras could build a CB400. My only issue is it's missing wheels, tank and exhaust and will need new handle bars, now the thing is these are things that i don't like about the standard bike and would like to modify anyway. What are the chances of getting the bike registered with a slightly bigger front wheel (standard size rear), aftermarket tank, exhaust and handlebars, or should I return it to stock get it regoed then modify.

Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Registering/Blue slipping modified bikes

Post by Prof » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Bigger front wheel should not be a problem. Keep pipes and bars within regs and you'll be fine.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Re: Registering/Blue slipping modified bikes

Post by chopaweeza » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:19 am

All that is easy to find . Parts bike's like that show up at the Swapmeets often . A blown up CB250 Superdream at Goulburn sold for $120 and it had the parts you need so they are out there . Trick is to make things look like they belong . Most Blue Slip centers have a great idea of what is/isn't legal but if it looks like it belongs then you will be right . Be aware that if the bike have been out of Rego in NSW for more then 5 years it will probably have to go over the pit's at one of the RTA testing centers
Chopaweeza Enterprises

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”