Speedo MPH or KPH

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
JAC

Speedo MPH or KPH

Post by JAC » Sat May 05, 2012 3:58 am

Folks,

Bringing my chopper in bits back to Aus. Buying as many replacement pieces as I can here in the US before sending it home (in a different shipment). Does the speedo need to be in KPH. I'm sure the answer would be yes, but just wanted to check.

I need a speedo with oil, nuetral and indiciators and the models I've seen, the price different between a KPH and MPH is worth asking the question.

JC

neale

Re: Speedo MPH or KPH

Post by neale » Sat May 05, 2012 4:29 am

I'm quite interested in this question, too.

There are neat li'l Biker's Choice speedos with 4 indicator lights (blinker, high beam, neutral & oil), but from what I was told by US sellers, the 2.1:1 (what I needed) is only available as MPH, whereas they have a 1:1 in KPH.

I ended up buying the MPH one with a plan to convert it to KPH, but that's looking more difficult/expensive than I thought it would be.

So yeah, the answer to this is one I'm interested in.
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

fluffer

Post by fluffer » Sat May 05, 2012 8:03 am

Just registered an 87 Heritage with MPH speedo with no problems.In fact all that was required for the RWC was a correctly biased headlight insert ($21.00) and the indicators/running lights set up for Oz, which meant buying a plug in unit ($100.00) which does the job for you.

I guess the powers that be reckon it is your responsibilty to "correctly adhere to the posted speed limits" and are more than happy to slug ya if you don't. :|
"better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sat May 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Same as Fluffer.....personally after using the aftermarket replacement speedo's for fat bob tanks, id rather keep using my old chrome Drag specialities jobby.....sure i had to put mph into kph, but the begger never broke..already gone through 3 of the others...
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:43 pm

If you take your speedo to reputable speedo tech he can put a dab of speedo paint at the appropriate pionts for kmh so as to sorta avoid fines me personally i like mph speedos even if i do get caught out .
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat May 05, 2012 10:27 pm

I used to just put a spot of white paint on the speedo glass. 50k =30mph, 60k=35mph, 80k=50mph & 100k=60mph. NOt exact but close enouth considereing variying tyre profiles, wear and the wavering of the speedo needle!

I only ran a tacho on my 500/4 Honda chopper (meant I didn't have that long cable from the front wheel) for 20 odd years. I initially got a mate to ride beside me and I marked off the main speeds on the tacho glass for top gear. Worked fin and I never got a ticket.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

JAC

Post by JAC » Sun May 06, 2012 12:21 am

I guess I could take a punt on the speedo with all the idiot lights and just put the markers for KPH as discussed.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Sun May 06, 2012 10:58 am

You could go to a sign writer for a bout $5-10 get vinyl cut lettering made and stick the KPH numbers next to the MPH in a inner circle like some of the early cars that had dual gauges.

neale

Post by neale » Sun May 06, 2012 1:08 pm

I've been looking for an application/program that could be used to create a new dial/face image (in KPH), which could then be printed on the appropriate media with a later or inkjet printer, but haven't had any luck as yet :o(

I was quoted $220 to print a dial from an existing image, + god knows how much more to create the image, + shipping of course, from a place in WA, I think for that I can get creative myself ;^)
Neale

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Sun May 06, 2012 1:18 pm

AutoCAD, Illustrator or just printing to scale from Photoshop. Shouldn't be very difficult.

Have you got the photo in good quality? and know the exact size it needs to be, i.e a scaled reference point??

Take the image on a USB stick to your local photoprint point (Target, Kmart, photolab) and print as a photo. Then laminate it with a flat or satin laminate.

neale

Post by neale » Sun May 06, 2012 1:55 pm

I've got an image (and can get more and apply exact dimensions if necessary), it's re-calculating the scale for the indicators which is the problem in my mind, IE if I could map a straight line comparison between the existing MPH indicator point spacings, and scaled KPH indicator points, and find something that would let me bend the bar image into a circle to overlay onto the image, I'd be set ;^)

Neale

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Sun May 06, 2012 5:30 pm

You should be able to work it out circular in degree increments. And there are several points that match up for particular speeds.

Dual face like these may make it easier.

On this dial it says (Km x0.6214) = miles this obviously can go in reverse to determine your odometer.
Last edited by Aussiehard on Sun May 06, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Sun May 06, 2012 5:36 pm

A note about Speedo converters
Some importers fit a Kph to MPH 'speedo converter'. This is a tiny device, sometimes electrical other times mechanical. These convert the signal to the speedo from KpH to MPH. They may then simply put an MPH sticker over the Kp/h scale to hide it. Many who have a car fitted with a speedo converter still opt. to also have replacement clock faces fitted.

DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THEY ARE OR WHERE YOU FIND THEM.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Sun May 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Harley Davidson V-Rod KMH to MPH Conversion Dial

Kawasaki GTR 1400

Kawasaki ZZR 1400 ABS

Kawasaki white dial ZX9R 'E + F', 2000 - 200

Kawasaki white dial ZX9R 'C + C2', 1998 - 1999

Kawasaki ZX6R 'G'

Kawasaki ZX6R 'J+A

Suzuki TL1000R

Suzuki GSX 1400

Suzuki Bandit GSF600 white dial , 2000

Suzuki Bandit GSF1200 white dial , 2001 onwards

Yamaha XJR130

YBR250 KMH to MPH Conversio

YBR125. KMH to MPH

Yamaha City X

Yamaha City

Yamaha XVS 1100
http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/ ... s_1100.jpg

Yamaha XVS1300

VFR 400

Harley Davidson V-Rod

Aprilia Diablo

BMW GS

BMW K1200GT

BMW K1200S

R1200GS Motorbike

How to find the dial face you need
Take a photograph of your Kmh speedometer and bring it to the computer. Click ChooseYour Dials and select the Lockwood MPH speedo you believe to be the one you need. Next, compare your Kmh speedo with the Lockwood speedo. Then using the diagrams below as a guide, follow the steps outlined. (If you get stuck, give us a ring).
Ignore the MPH scale on the Lockwood dial and concentrate only on the Kmh scale, (that's the smaller inner scale), and carry out the following three checks.
1. Check that the Kmh scale on the Lockwood speedometer, starts and finishes at exactly the same positions as the Kmh scale on your speedometer.
2. Check that the Kmh calibrations at the 3 o’ clock and 9 o’ clock position on the Lockwood speedo correspond exactly with the Km/h positions at 3 o’ clock and 9 o’ clock on your speedo.
3. Check that the Kmh calibration at the 12 o’ clock position on the Lockwood speedo is identical with the Kmh calibration at 12 o' clock on your speedo.
The two clocks below are simply an example to show you how to make the comparison.

Remember, you are only comparing the Km/h scale (the smaller inner scale) on the Lockwood dial. If the Kmh calibrations match yours at all of these five positions this could be the conversion dial you are looking for.
We supply clear, easy to follow step by step fitting guidelines with many of our dials. Hundreds of thousands of ordinary car owners have fitted Lockwood replacement dials in their cars.
If you just want to change your speedo but there isn't one available in the original colour, a dial kit from our extensive range of white or coloured 'designer' dials could be your solution.

I tried overlaying the above on your dial, problem is the start and finish points are quite wide on yours so even the other 140mph faces don't align.

neale

Post by neale » Sun May 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks a lot, when I was trolling for face images, I never managed to find as many as you did.

Some of the ones that you came up with appear fairly close to the arc I need, I'll have to get off me bum and see about mapping one across.

Now that's scary, trolling through the lockwood site (thanks for the pointer), the speedo dials which appear closest at this point (until I can overlay a translucent image), are for a Kia Rio, hey, if the scaling is right I'll happily take it!

Thanks again,

Neale
Neale

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”