trying to get mini bobber build getting complianced

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
chrisalchin

trying to get mini bobber build getting complianced

Post by chrisalchin » Sun May 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Hey Guys, been lurking for a while and hoping someone can offer me some advice on a project I'm in the middle of here,

So basically I have a 1971 Honda sl125s frame with a 1971 Honda cb100 single cylinder engine in it. The swing arm and seat frame have been removed and a stretched hard tail rear end has been welded and bolted on. (welded top rails, bottom rails bolted on).

The hard-tail was a TC bros kit and was put together by a retired vehicle and motor cross mechanic. everything is straight, solid as a brick *#@** house and runs true. (to the extent where there is EXACTLY 51.5mm from the tire wall to the frame rail on each sides)

The bike isn't finished yet, it would still require welding on a couple of tabs for the indicators (if i need them on a '71 bike?) sandblasting/painting and reassembly.

My question is, has anyone here had a custom frame like this complianced before? how much was it, was it as hard to get through as i've heard?

Are there any places around that are easier on things then others?

I have been talking via email (sending photos and so on) with a motorcycle engineer in Canberra, and the only feedback he's really given me was the springs on the sprung seat were too short. (not a prob I had a longer pair in the shed)

Aside from the frame, fenders and lights, Ill be using mostly stock parts (speedo/wiring and so on)

I'm keen to get this thing finished it will be killer fun on the road, but I don't really want to put any more money into it until I know I'm not wasting my time or money.

chopaweeza

Re: trying to get mini bobber build getting complianced

Post by chopaweeza » Sun May 06, 2012 7:04 pm

About $5k to get ICV compliancing in most states and thats if the bike is up to the standards required .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Sun May 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Even if its a 1971 pre ADR bike?

chris

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Sun May 06, 2012 8:56 pm

The date goes off when the bike was either originally manufactured if it's a stock vehicle or the date it was re-manufactured in the case of a modified . In your case you "Re-Manufactured" it in 2012 so it is under the rules a 2012 bike .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I know what your saying, but I don't know how logistically they could enforce that.

In argument, if I had a bog stock 1971 SL125s with no modification, and wanted to get it blue slipped and rego'd. The Bike would be ADR non-compliant and it was manufactured in 1971 and out of date with 2012's ADR's regardless as weather it was modified/chopped or bog stock?

So, how is it possible to blueslip and re-rego a pre-ADR bog stock bike in 2012?

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Sun May 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Just for the record, I just got an email back from the engineer I've been talking with an he believes everything looks A-Ok to continue. ( i told him I wanted to finish the project but wanted to know it would be suitable to road use before spending any more money on it)

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Sun May 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Also want to add, the frame still has the original vin number (or serial number if you like) intact, only the rear end has been modified, engine mounts. backbone and head stem are all original.

chopaweeza

Post by chopaweeza » Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 am

You've asked a few questions and I've given you answers . If you modify a frame in ANY way it requires an Engineers inspection. T

his means an ICV . Bolt on Triumph hardtails now require an ICV . What you are doing requires an ICV .
Chopaweeza Enterprises
www.chopaweeza.com

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Mon May 07, 2012 9:14 am

That's fine and I appreciate your input, but I need an explanation as to why its going to cost me $5g for an engineers cert. I can understand it will would need looking over to ensure its not going to fall apart when im riding down the road, but why would I be bound by 2012 ADR's on a pre ADR bike? I've registered a few highly modified cars in my time and the rule has always been, so long are the modifications are legal under the ADR's that were enforced at the date or manufacture. If the car didn't have seatbelts in 1960, then when I registered it in 2010 it didn't have to have seatbelts so long as I was using the original engine (or an engine of the right period)

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm

It will cost you $5k cos there are only a few approved engineers to do the job, the rules are open to their interpretation, they have expensive repayments on their mercedes to make of you and you have no choice if you went to be legal.

Common sense, reasoning and fair play have nothing to do with it………..

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Mon May 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Yeah I understand that.

Ok so ive gotten a letter back from the engineer I've been talking too.

He has basically seen all the detailed photos of the frame and mods, he said the seat would need to be higher, no probs I stuck in longer springs and sent him new photo's. Since that, he has said everything looks fine.

He also said once I complete the bike, the report/certificate will cost $1200. a hell of alot less then $5g, but still a lot more then I was happy with. Still if thats the cost, including the engineers report, the cost of building and registering the bike will be less then $4000. Not too bad for a cool little bar hopper.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Mon May 07, 2012 4:29 pm

By the way NO PHOTOS then IT DIDN"T HAPPEN………….

Got to provide visual evidence of work carried out and receipts of parts.

Gotta post the photos on here too.

chrisalchin

Post by chrisalchin » Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Frame pic. struggling getting images into Pbase, its taking ages

http://www.pbase.com/image/143152626

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Mon May 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Thats a lot of stretch there
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Mon May 07, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm thinkin' that if an "engineer" can make an assessment of the quality/safety of this build from these pics he's a better man than me Gunga Din.

Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”