Welder Certification

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
neale

Welder Certification

Post by neale » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Sorry, yet another stupid question.

Does anyone know, or can point me to, the requirements and cost to gain and maintain welder certification?

All the engineering requirements seem to point to using certified welders, is it viable to get the certification if you can gain the skills?

Ta,

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

Dunny

Re: Welder Certification

Post by Dunny » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Welder certifications can be done through TAFE around Australia in conjunction with the WTIA (welding technology institute australia).
All Boilermakers come out of their time with a minimum welding certification, but I doubt that you would want to do that.
Welding certifications require a certain level of metallurgy that can get quite complex depending on the level of certification that you are chasing.
The crux of the deal when it comes to modifying bikes or building chassis as I see it is that the welding needs to comply to AS1554.1 (the NCoP’s do not state GP or SP but seeing as it is a dynamically loaded structure it would be safe to assume that it would require SP)
The easiest way to qualify 1554.1 is to use pre-qualified materials (C250LO for tube as a minimum). Pre-qualified consumables to one of the Australian standards & pre-qualified joint preparation.
A list of all these can be found in the back of the standard, the WTIA website or any workshop that is dealing with the fabrication & fusion welding of structures.
If all these are used the welding operator still needs to qualify the weld with a minimum of a Macro test of the weld cross section by a testing agency such as ALS in Brisbane.
Then you will require a PQR which records all of the welding parameters used to make the weld & certificates of conformance for both the consumables & materials, both provided by the supplier on request.
Once this is done you are good to go.
On completion of the welding a percentage of the welding needs NDT by a qualified NDT Tech. Mag particle would be the trick in this case.
If all this sounds like a crock of crap, it’s because it is
All this still requires approval by an engineer (in theory) & this is where the problems can start as it seems everyone from this point on takes a subjective view of what is & is not acceptable.
I have been researching this for about 8 months now & asked more dumb questions than a drunken tourist & the one thing I can guarantee you is that if you ask the same question of three people from qld transport &/or engineers & you will get three different answers.
This is the slightly technical answer, in truth I do not know how all this is applied in the real world but as I am building a clean skin I guess I will find out soon enough.
Good luck.
Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine. ... Sir Arthur Eddington
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

neale

Re: Welder Certification

Post by neale » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks, the reason I asked was that everyone trying to move forward in NSW seems to be coming up against the "certified welder" barrier, which seems to indicate that I can't actually do the work myself unless I can manage to get certified, I know and can do SFA at the moment, but I did want to learn so I could do it myself. Oh well, last payment on the welding gear in the next week, then we see whether I can learn.

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”