Rear guard issue

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
doobinator

Rear guard issue

Post by doobinator » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi all

Just about to go for a RWC on my Virago, now I am a little concerned about my rear guard as it has been cut down.

Anyone got any advice, should I start looking for a replacement?

Neo Dutch

Re: Rear guard issue

Post by Neo Dutch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:51 pm

45 degrees rearward from the axle.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

doobinator

Post by doobinator » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Ok well if I understand that correctly then yes start looking for a new guard, bummer.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:22 am

Make an extension that holds your tail light and numberplate and a couple of reflectors that reaches down far enough. See the aussie HD Nightster for an example.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Similar to Neo.. if it has to be 45 degrees. Mount a number plate backing plate out of a piece of aluminium. Make it long enough including a vertical reflector (you can get small stick on ones) to do the 45 degree thing. I would also be tempted to cut the sides into a more rounded shape so it doesn't look like something has been left off. The tidier and more together/complete/stock your bike looks the better impression it makes.

To work out the 45 degrees, get a piece of plywood masonite etc and make a triangle with a 45 degree side (half of 90 degrees ie half way to vertical, use a folded piece of paper to make the angle).

Stand your bike vertical and then move the triangle alonside until it lines up eith the axle. That will then show you where the guard should come.

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

doobinator

Post by doobinator » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Awesome guys thanks heaps. Spoke to mobile roaadworthy guy and he said he has a solution for me because it is a fairly common issue he sees so I'll see what he comes up with as well. Thanks for that pic prof that's going to the vault. Will come in handy when I start building the next one :-)

junior123

Post by junior123 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:44 pm

hey doobinator, you have to lower that fender bro. Is that the plan? Its quite easy with the Virago, you can just shift the shockies to the top mount haha. Mine is going in today too, fingers crossed

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”