Hi Vis clothing legislation

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
XSChop

Hi Vis clothing legislation

Post by XSChop » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:07 am

Seems there are moves afoot to REQUIRE high visability clothing for all motorcyclists.

If you don't want to Have to wear this stuff sign the petition here
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Hi Vis clothing legislation

Post by Prof » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 am

I signed... and 6 others did at the same time. sigining took only a minute, but I read some of the accompanying articles werhich are very very good.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

neale

Post by neale » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Obviously, I've signed the petition as I'm sick of these idiots forcing us to do things that don't help or protect us at all.

Of interest are points 1-3 on page 6 of the police submission, 1. re-introduce mandatory requirements for front number plates on bikes 2. MANDATORY at least 5 hi-vis items including helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots, all meeting AS standards 3. MANDATORY protective clothing, jacket, gloves, pants, boots.

Aside from the cost of throwing out everything we have and buying expensive new items (for no good reason), this will severely curtail much of people's casual/fun riding, I, like many riders, have protective jackets etc that are styled so that can be worn as casual clothing and are therefore do not overly impact casual/social wearing, and I often wear heavy jeans rather than bike pants if I'm going to the shop or visiting people, if this shite gets through that will be illegal and anyone riding a bike would pretty much HAVE to carry street clothes to change into when they get off the bike, and carry all the bike gear with them once they've changed, I expect that this would have the effect of forcing people to drive or take public transport in many circumstances where riding is convenient at the moment.

Anyone have any doubts about us becoming a police state run by 'tards?

Neale
Last edited by neale on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Dont get me started..........I used to have firearms.

BTW, I signed. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Seems more of an attack on the 1%ers wearing colours disguised as "safety measures".
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

ol_750

Post by ol_750 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:12 am

Guys ..Guys ... Guys
Dont you watch the fashion news ??
Flouro colours are all the rage on the catwalk at the moment , its the colours to be seen in this summer.

I signed 8)
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:26 pm

As for the gumgiment bringing in flouro coloring for bikers it was inevitable after the frogs passed similar legislation anyway other than wearing a full KKK outfit i bought one of these tops to wear if this doesn,t make me visible to ph$#wit car drivers nothing will and it will still be my fault.
http://www.seacoastleathers.com/B-A-D-D ... gsb273.htm
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

neale

Post by neale » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:30 pm

I was thinking about this and remembered something from my early days.

The visibility issues are in the heads of the car drivers, doesn't matter what we do, 30 years ago we had a common saying here that I'm sure that applies the world over, "How often do you hear of a bike cop or a Hells Angel being knocked off his bike by a car driver who "didn't see the bike"? " they don't pay attention to us because in their minds we can't hurt them, a far more effective safety measure for us would be to ensure that they're sh!t scared of all of us, THEN they''ll see us!

FWIW

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 pm

No cars are to safe, if all cars had drum front brakes, lap seat belts, stick in the mud shifters, candle in the wind headlights, slippery vinyl bench seats and a 10 inch metal spike attached to the steering wheel pointing at the drivers head " how safe of a driver would you be then " The reason car drivers refuse to see bikes is because they are cocooned in safety and ANYTHING outside thier perimeter does not matter (till you punch em) .
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Neo Dutch wrote:Seems more of an attack on the 1%ers wearing colours disguised as "safety measures".
Ed Zacery

I signed
Silent Grey Fellow

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:04 am

That would almost take away the desire to ride the highways :cry:

Signed & shared on FB

Dunny

Post by Dunny » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Society bitches & moans about the rules & regulations that are forced upon them; yet meekly booze into the wind, then conform to whatever toxic prattle is forced upon them with the meekest of tangible objections. If all the people riding bikes from the 1% ers to the Lat’e stained vesper riders all took a stand at the same time by refusing to adhere to their rules, do you think they would book everyone?
In the end Democracy is the least flawed social structure available, yet it is not perfect.
I for one do not remember abdicating the right to politcians or un-elected bureaucratsto to dictate what the social zeitgist should be, however the apathetic nature of the Australian people has allowed this to become the norm.
If society as a whole allows these people to dictate their ideals on the rest, then as a society we get what we deserve. In this light the lure of the 1% is palpable.
Stand up for yourself or get what you deserve.
Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine. ... Sir Arthur Eddington
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Hmmm, reading the report, on page 8, it states....

"...motorcyclists have the same vulnerability to serious injury and death as a pedestrian and a bicyclist."

Does this mean all pedestrians and treadly riders have to wear Hi-vis, too ??? :shock:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Too many pedestrians, bad at the ballot box

ol_750

Post by ol_750 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 pm

:shock: Maybe all cars should have flouro stripes so they can be seen as well ... like the mine vehicles. Wouldnt the cagers love that rule :P :P
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”