Two stage registration

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
neale

Re: Two stage registration

Post by neale » Sat May 25, 2013 3:38 pm

If my calculations and guesses on resultant angles are right, I should come in at just under the 550 line, and this MAY give me a chance of actually getting something done.

Ta,

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Fingers crossed your front end comes in under 550. If not and you're only slightly over and you have raked trees then put stock trees in. If you have stock trees maybe put some lower springs in it...
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

neale

Post by neale » Sat May 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Should be fairly safe, at that point it definitely WON'T have raked triple trees, and will have the stock (if longish) fork legs, if indications are correct, dropping the rear around 5" (I can drop the stock ground clearance at least 6" and still be over the mandated minimum) should add approx 7 degrees to the rake, so with 35-36 degrees it should come out to around 530-540, gotta check this out when I have space and time to play with the bike (stashed at a mate's place for now).

The fact that without a rider (who is at least 2/3 the weight of the bike) the rear will be higher and hence pulling the front in a bit doesn't hurt either.

Fun times ahead ;^)

Neale
Neale

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun May 26, 2013 5:41 am

You should be able to comfortably make your ground clearance 5"... my shovel is 4" and is a little low, but I am short and need all the lowness I can get! For regio you can always put spacers on top of front springs and have rear springs on stiffest setting or use a set of slightly longer shocks on the rear. A 130/90x16 is about an inch smaller in diameter than a 4.50x18 so that will also drop you back end... don't know how a 150/90x 15 is. I have one up the workshop adn will measure it.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

neale

Post by neale » Sun May 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Ta,

The plan, if I can call it that, for now is actually to keep the existing wheels for the rego attempt, just put crossover or road tyres on them, drop the rear with a custom shock, swap in the XV1100 tank I have and do something about the seat and front guard, so for the most part it will be stock mechanicals etc, HOPEFULLY enough to get it passed.

THEN, once I've got it registered (and have the funds), I can try the XVS1100 fork lowers and calipers, twin disks and possibly raked triple trees (possibly 2" longer fork tubes too) up front, Hunter 21"front/16" rear mags (will also need a later swingarm for the disk brake rear), new exhaust and intake, do up the engine, make up a new seat subframe etc, get it running well and generally clean up the bike so it looks OK.
Neale

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon May 27, 2013 4:23 pm

That sounds like the way to go, Neale. Leave it as "stock" as you can, get the rego and VIN passed, then work on it.

Watching with interest... 8)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”