Who has jumped through the hoops in nsw.

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
ahm1

Who has jumped through the hoops in nsw.

Post by ahm1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:39 pm

This year I'm thinking of redoing the back of my frame and removing the stock suspension mounts. Who has had frame mods engineered in nsw or was it prohibitively expensive? Also will I need to engineer the bungs for my sporty tank? I'm a certified welder so this is no issue.

Bearcx

Re: Who has jumped through the hoops in nsw.

Post by Bearcx » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm in SA, but, I'm pretty sure that if you're sedate on the street, the Five-O wont even notice you. Engineering is mega expensive for a cheapbike.
Worth it if you have spent heaps, but, then you WILL get pulled over more often. If you're a welder, there shouldn't be any leaks, right?

Maybe one of our Eastern States members could chime in.............
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

ahm1

Post by ahm1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Never been pulled up yet plus I head out of town for rides anyway so I probably won't bother. As for the welds I tig everything on my bike and so far neither my intake or fuel tank have ever leaked and my seat and fender haven't fallen off yet so I think I'm safe.

neale

Post by neale » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:32 pm

I haven't lit the hoops yet, because a) I haven't started any actual mods to the frame, and b) you guessed right, it's fukn expensive, I gave up when I was looking at at least $3-4K for the welding, engineering certificates and RTA certificates. You may be able to save about $1K of that if you can do the welding yourself, but that may require specific welding "qualifications" too, we seem to have the worst requirements in the country. I believe that the engineering certificate requirements only apply to frame modifications, so fuel tank mods should be OK.

What I'm thinking at this point is looking at not touching the neck at all, and only doing the minimum of changes to the rear suspension, the idea is to keep it close enough to the original in any structural area it can be passed off AS original to a casual/roadside inspection, if the structural areas are close enough that they can believe that it's stock, and the other things that they'd check meet requirements ( like the rear guard, you meet the 45 degree requirement so they would hopefully feel less need to go over everything with a fine tooth comb, if you'd chopped it just behind the seat in a "classic bobber"style, they'd almost certainly feel compelled to find what else you've done that they can get you on ).

Anyway, to wind it up, sorry, if you do it in a way that it could be passed off as original in the structural areas, and have a bit of luck, you should be OK, at least that's what I'm hoping for mine.

NB: Might I suggest that you DON'T take it down Singleton way, they have a real pig down there ( Smith, i think his name is) that tries to do people on anything and everything he thinks he can pin on them.

Hope something here may have been of use to you.

FWIW

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:25 pm

We have a couple of rotten apples down this way too. One of them apparently recently got beaten up by the locals for his attitude. Another guy targets P platers and falsely defects their cars so they have to put them over the pits... and they wonder why the young guys hate them.

A couple of P platers we know didn't ever display their plates after the first few harassments and were never bothered again. One young friend has just had to buy his third vehicle in 6 months and took our advice and has registered it in a parent's name to reduce harassment. It was cheaper to buy another vehicle than to pay to have it put over the pits where it would get cleared as it is in really good nick, has no rust, has new tyres and a completely rebuilt motor.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

ahm1

Post by ahm1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Just got a warning to engineer the bike today or face getting it red stickered, on the plus side copper was actually a decent bloke so thats a first I've come a cross

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:35 pm

Yeah there are some good coppers left, unfortunately there aren't enough of them left.
Youngblood

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”