Reframing a statutary writeoff...

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Reframing a statutary writeoff...

Post by Prof » Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 pm

For your interest...

I've had a request (The Chopper Shed) to assist a SA fellow to get 2014 Triumph registered in SA. It was purchased from Vic as a statutory write off. The forks are snapped off, but the steering head and frame seem undamaged.

In SA this frame cannot be reused even though it requires minimal if any straightening.

He found a matching frame in the US for a good price, but upon my engineer enquiring with the SA RTA, it also cannot be used even though he will be supplied with receipts from a US business.

The bike can only get back on the road legally with either a new Non Triumph frame (eg adapt a HD aftermarket frame) or build a new frame from scratch.

It will then be newly registered as an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV).

So in the near future we'll have a 2014 Triumph frame to build! Seems a big waste to me.

Process will be... engineer comes to the workshop and we show him what we plan to do. We take on board any of his suggestions and he then puts in an application for an ICV. I then build the new frame and we put the bike together. Engineer inspects it, Fills out more paper which we take to RTA with the bike for inspection and it then is given a unique ICV frame number etc.

My engineer says he will do his work for under $1500. There will be some inspection fees etc but I haven't checked these out yet.

Being a 2015 ICV, means meeting current regulations including E marked lights, labelled switches sidestand or clutch cutouts etc

I'll do a post on the process for reader's information when we get to it, probably in a month or two.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Re: Reframing a statutary writeoff...

Post by Youngblood » Tue May 12, 2015 9:41 pm

I will follow this one with interest, I'm sure most of us will learn something.
Youngblood

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed May 13, 2015 11:51 am

Yeah, me too.

Interested to find out the ins and outs of an ICV. Although my CX is highly modded, it was a daily rider and still has VIN plates.
But I've got a ZX600 engine in the shed, not sure what to do with it. Watching with interest. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof

Post by Prof » Wed May 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Just looked it up on the net.... water cooled, but should be able to make a cool chopper out of it and come up with an interesting radiator set up Bear!

When the engineer first came to my workshop, he was very happy with the rigid and sprung frames I was fabricating, so keep it within regs and it would be fine.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed May 13, 2015 5:20 pm

Well, its got everything but a frame.! Radiator, thermo fan, handlebars and controls, front and rear wheel......... :D

Prof

Post by Prof » Wed May 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Hmmm! You'd better start looking a pictures! Although I know someone who might prefer youspend the money on the house rather than another bike... unless of course you do it for her! Good Christmas present hey. Better than perfume anyway...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu May 14, 2015 9:59 am

Yep, that sounds about right..........already changed the seat on the CX from solo to tandem.!

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Sat May 16, 2015 7:46 pm

I agree Prof an absolutely absurd law this stat write off crap. brought in because the pigs these days are a pack of useless morons and can't catch a cold let alone bike thieves. Good frames are just being wasted about time it was reversed. :evil:
Silent Grey Fellow

Prof

Post by Prof » Sat May 16, 2015 10:59 pm

A bit like the stupid letters we get every time regio runs out to hand in our number plates in case they get stolen and used... I know most thieves are pretty stupid, but who would pinch unreg number plates... real cop magnet... of course pinch ones of reg cars. I send a letter every time saying, "Please Note: AS I have notified you many times, most of the vehicles in my name are unregistered for some of the year. They are safely shedded... please do not send these notices"
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”