Tail Light regs

Regulations in each state are based on ADR's but states differ in application and interpretation. (Previous Chopper chat articles have been shifted to this new section). Ask your questions here...
caimbo
Interests: vtx1800 chop

Tail Light regs

Post by caimbo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:14 pm

I'm changing my stock fender for a wide tire fender, I want to put an LED strip on the bottom to use as my tail light - seems to be legal in US but not sure here, any idea the regulations for tail light?

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Tail Light regs

Post by Prof » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:17 am

All states adhere to ADR's which require the tail light to be seen from behind and 45 degrees to each side for a distance of 200 metres. You need a brake light (visible to 30M), number plate light that allows the plate to be read at thirty metres and a rear facing reflector. As far as I know, all states require a centrally mounted number plate. Tail/brake lights can be to the side if there is one on EACH side. Height above ground is a minimum of 350mm. Tail and brake lights must show red when illuminated. Motorcycles manufactured after 1991 must have indicators which must show yellow when illuminated.

There may be variations state to state so check your state's regs online.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Regulations for motorcycles”