Frequently Asked Questions about Krank Engineering

Machining, welding project planning

Moderator: Prof

Matt McLeod

Frequently Asked Questions about Krank Engineering

Post by Matt McLeod » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Q. What exactly do you do?
A. If it involves custom parts or engineering to get your street project on the road, I can help. I can design and manufacture just about any component required for street projects. This includes full parametric3D modeling, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), machining (turning and milling), steel fabrication (MIG and TIG welding). I do subcontract modelling and FEA due to the level of expertise and expensive software required. Due to the physical size of my machine tools, I specialize in smaller parts and equipment, generally for motorcycles.

Q. Why only street projects?
A. If you are building a car or bike for show only, you don't need to go through the pain of regulations, bulletins and guidelines so you can find someone cheaper than me, or you can do it yourself.

Q. Do you do small jobs?
A. Hell yes, small jobs that solves your problem are heaps of fun. Just contact me so we can talk about it.

Q. Why are you so expensive?
A. If you have two engineering degrees, a fully equipped machining and fabrication shop, and the knowledge and skills to use it all, then you
can do exactly that I can do, and you don't need to pay me to help you. I charge a lot less than a surgeon or a solicitor, and they provide a specialized service like me.

Q. Are you a VicRoads engineering signatory?
A. No. The insurance is too expensive and those costs would have to get passed onto my customers. I leave this to the experts, but I do work with certain signatories to help get your project on the road.

Q. Can you give me engineering advice?
A. Depends. If its to do with registration, then I can point you to the bulletins relevant to your project but your signatory engineer has the final say and it's up to him what he wants for registration. If its just general mechanical engineering then sure, I will give you some advice, but the free advice is limited - it's not really fair to paying customers if I'm slowing up their job by giving you free advice, eh?

Q. Do you quote on jobs?
A. Normally, no, unless it is very small and simple. The main reason is virtually every job I've ever done gets changed during the build.

Q. How do you work out a price then?
A. It's simply on a time plus materials basis. We work together to scope out the job best we can, in writing, and you sign off on this scope of work. Only then do I start the job.

Q. Can I do some of the work myself?
A. Sure can. I will work on the scope with you and you can work out what you want to do. There might be some limits to this (welding, for example), but nothing is impossible to sort out.

Q. When will you start my job?
A. I only work on one job at a time. Once the scope of work is sorted, I'll give you an estimate when it will be started. When it is started, I work on your job only, except for emergency repairs, until your job is finished.

Q. What are the payment terms?
A. If I quoted a small job, then payment is due on collection or shipping of the job. No payment, no collection. If your job is larger and in process as per the question above, then I tally up the costs on each Friday, and send you an invoice. You have seven days to pay your account, no exceptions. If you fail to pay, then I have to stop working on your project and put it to the end of the list and I start on the next job. The idea is to ensure those people whose job has started gets priority and is finished as fast as possible. If you haven't got the cash to do the whole project in one stage, no problem, just let me know. We'll work out a schedule that suits your budget.
Matt McLeod
Krank Engineering
http://www.krankengineering.com

KBG

Re: Frequently Asked Questions about Krank Engineering

Post by KBG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 pm

How about some pics of your work.
some meaningless dribble

Matt McLeod

Re: Frequently Asked Questions about Krank Engineering

Post by Matt McLeod » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 am

Yep coming when I figure out how to embed a photo in a post.

Otherwise if you are a Facebook user I have plenty up at http://www.facebook.com/KrankEngineering

Cheers
Matt McLeod
Krank Engineering
http://www.krankengineering.com

Return to “Krank Engineering”