Choppers Australia Mega ride 2009

All Posts relevant to the Mega Ride in here please!!
bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Yeah lets leave the return part until we are all in Radelaide.

Good idea, I like it. :D
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

XSChop

more

Post by XSChop » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:46 pm

Well it seems by Prof's post that much has already been decided.
I did look at the event page he suggested
http://www.choppersaustralia.com/next-event.html
under the heading "2009 Choppers Australia Mega Ride"
but that is written mostly for non member and really doesn't show any actual details other than the date.

I realise that much may well have been decided
and may be written in the various posts to various forum topics
but there are so many now it's no longer reasonable to expect that anyone should read through them all to find out the current state of play.

IMHO there should be one place eg an Announcement entry in the "Regional run and meeting arranging" section ?
where we can all go and see what the current situation is.
I'm happy if whatever moderators there are decide what goes there by picking the consensus out of the discussions which can continue where they are now.

As for local routes I agree it could get problematic but I think we could keep it in reign and it should certainly help make the trip more interesting.

Night 2 at Newcastle area is my turf and I'm happy to suggest some options.

Despite LOTS of wildly interesting riding roads, if we are to achieve the 500km a day objective I feel we will have to forego most of the interesting bits. In fact we may have to stick mainly to freeways (yes the Hume) just to get there at all in the time.

Avoiding cities ! Personally I have a very heavy clutch, almost impossible to get neutral once stopped, very precarious idle and only kick start if it stalls so any sort of "Traffic" is a real PAIN !
Just something to bear in mind I think for many of us !
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:01 pm

1. I believe that in an earlier post, a couple of guys needed to be back in Queensland/NSW by about the 24th.

So your want to take only 4-5 days on way down so you can have 3 days or so in SA to have a bit of a break and get things ready for the return trip and possibly do a couple of things down here.

2. My experiences so far is that traveling main highways like the coast road can invlove a lot of traffic and more highwway patrols. Lesser travelled routes where for long stretches you'll be on your own would be easier and safer for the group... You'll be doing more than one U turn looking for someone... part of the fun of it!

Secondary route on the way down to SA would also be beneficial for videography and photography (BZ is hoping to get some coverage for the trip)

Also better camping opportunities on lesser travelled routes including long stretches where you can live the 60's pre head covering thing with reasonable security.

Smaller secondary towns make for some very interesting stops and very friendly and accomodating people... including invites to sleep in back yards with coffee and toast laid on in the morning etc

Remember the nice long stretches of outback roads in Easy Rider... part of the attraction of the movie.

If you want to experience 60's style travelling, you'll be closer to it on secondary routes.

3. Also, if you don't do a couple of full weekend shakedown trips, you'll want to stop at a reasonable sozed town by the second day to get things you forgot.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

wayne

Post by wayne » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:14 pm

Sorry guys I dont want to sound negative, but can we get this point straight.

If a bike breaks down on the side of the road and cant be fixed on the road than another rider will stay behind with the broken down bike and rider whilst the group continues riding to Adelaide (believe me I hope this dosent happen)

Cheers

Wayne
Old Rigid Choppers Rule

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 pm

I think most of our bikes will have some issue of some sort but this just adds to the fun.

I have no issues with travelling through a major city, I think it will be fun to have all those people giving us the stare, as we breeze through thinking I am glad I am not at work and I wouldn't be dead for quids. :D :D
You can CHOP EM!!

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 pm

wayne wrote:Sorry guys I dont want to sound negative, but can we get this point straight.

If a bike breaks down on the side of the road and cant be fixed on the road than another rider will stay behind with the broken down bike and rider whilst the group continues riding to Adelaide (believe me I hope this dosent happen)

Cheers

Wayne
I don't have a problem with that.
I wouldn't want to be tho bloke left alone in the middle of nowhere watching all his so called mates ride off into the distance.

78gold

Adelaide Run

Post by 78gold » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Now guys please take it gentle on replies but are any wives/girlfriends going and if so how.
Her indoors WILL NOT ride down with me on a rigid or a goldwing for that matter so if she goes will either fly down to adelaide or drive.
Just thought I would see what others are doing.
Nigel
78 Gold

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Well my wife and son are thinking of flying down and staying with some friends of ours and catching up with us some where in Adelaide.
You can CHOP EM!!

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:03 pm

So with the mystery tour idea, ireckon each bloke knows we are aiming for 400 - 500 clicks per day, or a particular pick up the next day this will help plan the route and keep the riff raff from hampering progress.

eg if i know iam a pick up point, i ring the next known pick up point the night before leaving, and fill that person in on the expected route and approx departure and arrival times (best case scenario/which will change everyday id imagine)......pick up points will be concrete, set in stone and non negotiable once decided and only the in between bit is up to the descretion of the local guide.

PC on broken down mates, absobloodyloutly..no one gets abandoned and we sought it or accomidations (eg ive started a few trips as rider and ended emm as a pillion/not for a good while though) out as part of the adventure.

ring roads rock, but lets see some of this beautiful country in the process.

If we do the interesting bit while were all up and keen, then when it comes time to say gdbye we can all take the quickest route to conserve energy.

D Generation hooowwwwww!!!!!!! (say it loud like John Wayne)

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Spot on Cromag, you got it going on mate :D
You can CHOP EM!!

sks

Post by sks » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:23 pm

ok all sounds good to me.

I'll also volunteer to be the sweeper rider. only coze i'm riding a relatively modern bike and if i brake down i'll be waiting for parts as it'll only be a electrical part gone kaput.

BobbaZooki

Post by BobbaZooki » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 am

Now .. were getting ourselve's in a kurfuffle here ..... so i'll be putting up a post around oct or early nov 08 ... to let member's or any other interested punter's know that i'll be hosting a "conferrence" in Jan or Feb 09 with the soul purpose of "nutting out the details" on the Mega Ride ... rather than posting back & forth , we can be more "creative" in person , as well as taking the family out (optional)... both Chopperal and Cromag are keen on coming up around at this time , as it would suit them....PC also emailed asking if it was still on ..
This would be an ideal opertunity for us , over beer's & banger's and Burringbar's famous chicken spare rib's , to resolve any issue's reguarding the Mega Run ... then have another "head's up" , say around July - August 09 at "who ever's"place , to tie up any loose end's .... as after that , we'll be at the mercy of the open road ..... Yeee Hawww :twisted:
It will be on a weekend , probably a sunday , but will have all the details in the post ... so stay tuned .

XSChop

Night 2, Day 3 proposal

Post by XSChop » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:16 am

Night 2, Day 3 proposal

I have in mind the most amazing spot for the night.
Big hall all to ourselves with catering and toilet facilities and the winebar across the road.
I can arrange evening meal and breakfast there.
And it involves some of the best roads you will see.

Section 1 Newcastle to Sydney

Proposal 1 - Wollombi way
I meet the group at the turnoff to Raymond Terrace (north of Newcastle) and guide along some mostly deserted back roads via Maitland and Cessnock to Wollombi
There we will have the use of the community hall and all facilities.
Also workshop and tools if necessary.
Dinner and breakfast provided for the smallest possible fee.
Then in the morning south via what is known to Sydney riders as "the loop" back to Sydney.
This is a very popular bike road with windy and hilly bits as well as big open deserted highway sections.
By this route we can completely avoid the expressways but it will add a couple of hours to the trip in return for the BEST memories.
This plan involves the "Old Road" and a visit to the famous Road Warriors bike cafe
or if running late etc we can skip onto the F3 for the last bit.

Proposal 2 - F3
Fast and easy but DAMN boring. Just sit on 110k all the way.
Again meet at Raymond Terrace but stay on the multi lane.
I don't have a place to stay arranged but can find something
so we stay wherever just on the North side of Newcastle and in the morning continue down the F3 to Sydney.
The F3 freeway starts at Newcastle and is boring as hell all the way to Sydney.
We can detour on part of the "Old Road" and visit Road Warriors or not.

Section 2 - Sydney Northside to the Hume
Once we meet the North side of Sinny there is a bit of unavoidable main road traffic to the start of the M7 which is also boring but very nicely skirts round the west of Sydney without even a single intersection.
The M7 then merges into the Hume hwy which goes straight to Melbourne.

The M7 is E/Toll only which means you can't pay. The signs say you can phone a number and pay the toll within 48 hours but in reality when you phone you have to buy a week pass or something.
It seems you can't just pay for your one trip !
But if you just ride on through nothing happens and you get a bill in the post in a couple of weeks asking for the $3 toll + $10 fine
If you have any sort of E/Pass account you can opt to pay it via that account and they waive the fine.
If you don't have such an account you can use mine and give me the $3
The toll is a pain but there is really no other way worth considering with less than 20 traffic lights minimum and heavy traffic.

Background.
Old Road. A diversion not to be missed
One detour option is the famed "Old Road" which runs beside the F3 between Gosford and Hornsby.
It's limited to 70kmh now to help prevent us enjoying ourselves and pretty hilly and windy but great views and riding.
There are a couple of renown bike stops there too which we could call in on for a stretch ie :
Road Warriors
and
Pie in the Sky

After M7 and Campbeltown I think we should hand over to the gentle ministrations of Cromag for navigation.
Make some Ks down the Hume and head for Lunch at maybe Goulburn ?

I think I'll get the beast out of the shed and ride both these options so I can give comparitive times so will let you know of that.
But overall the services and experiences we can have at Wollombi IMHO far outweigh the extra riding.
It's not about the Bling /:~)>
Well maybe a bit !

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:43 am

Bit concerned about that Road Warriors Cafe Phil!!
All the pictures seem to have a lot of gentlemen in Lycra shorts who would appear to be smuggling Broccoli across the country!!

And all their bikes don't have engines. Bladdy weird!!! :D

However the wine bar bit sounds good, just so long as the Lycra lovers don't frequent it!!!! If ya know what i mean! :D

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:32 am

Andrew CA Admin wrote: 2. My experiences so far is that traveling main highways like the coast road can invlove a lot of traffic and more highwway patrols. Lesser travelled routes where for long stretches you'll be on your own would be easier and safer for the group... You'll be doing more than one U turn looking for someone... part of the fun of it!

Secondary route on the way down to SA would also be beneficial for videography and photography (BZ is hoping to get some coverage for the trip)

Also better camping opportunities on lesser travelled routes including long stretches where you can live the 60's pre head covering thing with reasonable security.

Smaller secondary towns make for some very interesting stops and very friendly and accomodating people... including invites to sleep in back yards with coffee and toast laid on in the morning etc

Remember the nice long stretches of outback roads in Easy Rider... part of the attraction of the movie.

If you want to experience 60's style travelling, you'll be closer to it on secondary routes.
Well that is a lot easier if your are not travelling in a specific direction in order to pick every one up along the way and trying to make sure that even the smallest tank will always have fuel.
If you all want to do this then you need to look at one of the inland highways and you need to be prepared to travel a few hundred kays on your own to meet up with the ride.
I don't have a problem with it but those who are not starting from Brisbane will need to think about it as our first pick point will out west some where. Even the gold coast guys will have to head west to meet the group or there wil be an extra hundred odd kays added to the very start of the trip.
Better work out what you want so you can tell BZ at his "conferrence" before this becomes much more of a kurfuffle.
Harleys SUCK - Real men ride Yamaha's - FAST

Return to “Mega Ride 2009”