Lou's Bobber Project

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

loulizard
Interests: Cars Hot Rods Customs @ Harleys

Re: Lou's Bobber Project

Post by loulizard » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Socks with thongs are full dress shoe for pinoy

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:08 am

Ha ha ha haha ha........ :lol:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:36 pm

OK,Today I drilled the bars for internal wiring for controls die ground them inside and out to prevent burrs shorting the loom. fed the wires through the holes, used some sturdy insulated wire from the holes in the ends through to the one in the centre. Then pulled it back with string attached back through the end holes tied and taped the control wires with the outer plastic cover still on for further insurance against shorts,is harder but safer. Fitted the hand controls and finished the wiring. If you use the ultima wiring boxes they are made to compliance for 2014 regs so the head and tail light are permanently on, so if you want a switched light system you need to bypass the box for lighting. you can do this by using the light circuit on the ignition switch. Run a fused wire from the switch lights terminal to the dim power wire in the bar loom and then from the low and high wires direct to the lights. The tail light wire can run from another fuse connected to the lights terminal. If you aren't using a factory switch you will need to put a light switch somewhere. I retested the electrics to make sure all was well with my connectors, had brain fade for I spent some time trying to find a problem with the coil circuit no volts!! I then noticed the engine stop switch was off, switching to run cured the fault!! Will post pics later in week going to the Bacchus Marsh Show n Shine in the Mustang tomorrow.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:08 am

Pic of the Muzzy too, please. 8)

1970 Fastback is one of the sexiest cars on the planet.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Well a '66 convertible must get your rocks off
mustang.jpg
1006090_779741705419813_3767875753621565691_n.jpg
921610_511918955535424_109009557_o.jpg

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:43 pm

and guess who gets to polish it??
886105_608821055845213_1306622637_o.jpg

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:28 pm

DSC00979.JPG
The dash panel. It comes complete but you need to connect the wires. The 3 terminals just below the speedo are insulated so the wires from the warning lights + oil & neutral are connected to 2 of these from the ignition switch power is from common + and to the appropriate wire from the electronic wiring system where ground is via the box to the appropriate switch. the third is for the common ground from High beam & L & R indicator dash lights as these are separate + driven.
DSC00980.JPG
wiring tidied up under dash and above control box note common earth wires and a fuse for the rewired head lights.Joiners are supplied with kit. as are the junction terminals.the kit can be wired without the joiners or junctions but if you ever need to remove the bars or dash with out cutting wires are a necessity. wires to coil starter battery,brake & tail rear indicators and all sensors are not joined as these can be disconnected from sensor or plug easily.
DSC00981.JPG
connectors used for bar controls head light & indicators. indicator circuit left intact as may fit some at a later date wire tails insulated & heat shrunk and wound up under the tanks.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:38 pm

here's a shot of the headlight wires and the hand control wires exiting the bars under the risers.
DSC00982.JPG
and the hand controls fitted to the bars no accelerator yet.
DSC00983.JPG
DSC00984.JPG

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:52 pm

Finally for today at least, the only thing I have left of my old shovel.............
DSC00985.JPG
the original horn it stopped working so I replaced it with a new one for the RWC when I sold it & threw the broken one into my parts box where it sat for 6 or so years, until having a few spare minutes one night this week with nothing to watch on TV I pulled it apart and soldered the faulty contact and voila it works again. So on it went, nice carry over I think now I regret selling the original front guard foot pegs head light etc. from her at a garage sale a couple of years ago. Just goes to show never sell or throw any thing out hoarders rule #1.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:45 pm

SWEEEEET.....!!!!!!!

Great work on the bike, Lou. If it comes up anywhere near as good as the Mussy, then it's going to be awesome. :D

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Almost there,fitted the dash properly then the tanks,starter motor & relay even though the starter has a button on the solenoid it is hard to use so wired it up to the bar switch. completed the wiring loom to the battery. Then stole the battery from the soft tail and connected it all up no smoke or burning insulation smells so far so good. Then tested the circuits first the new starter the most current draw first, cross fingers hit the button on the solenoid, it whirs into life next test the bar button and the relay, surprise they both work. then retest the circuits for the warning lights. By the way fitting a 160 KW starter needs the oil tank to be partially dismounted for wiggle room and the oil line fittings screwed in as far as they go to avoid contact with starter, also the breather fitting on the gear box needs the same treatment, this done juggling the starter into position is possible.As there is limited space for any thing near the starter positioning a relay out of sight was a challenge the battery box is just big enough for a standard battery.But upon inspection I saw the slot in the bottom of the battery box was about the size of the Bosch relay I was using I placed the mounting tab upwards and it fitted in snugly the weight of the battery and padding will hold it in place via the tab no need to drill a screw hole to hold it in. If I ever need to replace it is a simple matter remove battery & pad lift out relay reconnect the leads to the replacement and off we go or use the solenoid button or just kick it into life. The Bendix on the starter was able to be fitted from the clutch side quite easily thanks to the BDL backing plate.
drilled the bottom triple tree for the bates mount headlight and the rear guard for the tail light.
20141026_180341.jpg
20141026_180259.jpg

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Mounted the regulator & bracket on the old left forward control plate you can see it in the shot of the left side of the bike above, whilst I Wait for the repro OEM style forward controls to be made in Taiwan, not kidding ordered them from importer he said 5 weeks away, he rang me Friday & told me they are starting the production run today. Now I only need to>>>>crack test the heads may be already done....I hope they come out with a clean bill of health, if not will order new ones with correct spring height for the B grind cam resemble the motor fit the new high flow oil pump & plumb it,lock tight all the bolts for the starter,belt drive, clutch & main shaft final torque all the bolts. Left this not done so far in case I need to remove any thing before final assembly. Fit terminal plugs on the head & tail/stop wires, buy new oil pressure sender, rear brake switch & plumb the brakes, fit the clutch & accelerator cables & hand grips. Get the leather man to make a tank bib from the same leather as the seat. Then paint the tanks and guards any suggestions on color??? I am at a loss mates say black but I got a black one already, then fit the S&S carb, manifold & a set of pipes that complement the cam for mid range power and an air cleaner. By the way if you are near Bendigo on the 2nd November check out "Shovel Fest Bendigo" at the Bendigo airport, the bobber will be there on display in it's present state, that's the reason for the plastic heads to keep out the dust whilst on display. As well as the bobber there will be plenty of other shovel heads & earlier HD iron as well as a mates S&S 105" repro pan head chopper with all the good gear
20141026_180351.jpg
So hope to see you there.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Moving along quickly.

Re colour I am a child of the classic 70's chopper era and therefore not a fan of black. I also reckon a bright colour distances you from the 'outlaw' rider and should result in less hassles when they bring in the new anti-association laws across the country. Have a look on our 'chopper detail' webpage. Admittedly these are fairly complicated and therefore expensive in this day and age, but amazing what can be done with lace and cardboard cutouts...
http://www.choppersaustralia.com/Choppe ... hp?album=2

A coloured helmet is more in tune with the era of bike you are building and does the same thing.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:36 pm

Not much done over the last few weeks since Shovel fest.Other commitments filled the weekends.Then I did my back in at work and spent a week off work and not able to move let alone bend over the bike.
But did manage to fit the new battery & finish the wiring to the tail lights etc... after returning to work. Also on advice from a my HD mec opted for the A grind Andrews cam over the B grind. It has a dual profile grind so can run either solid or hyd lifters so if I get tired of adjusting them or the rattle I can swap the solid lifter block & rods for oilers without changing the cam. fitted the mirrors,connected the regulator to the battery via a bi-metal circuit breaker. Refitted the chain and aligned it.
From measurements taken when I fitted the belt drive & box, I knew the rear sprocket needed a .25" offset. So jacked the rear wheel off the bench removed it fitted the spacer and refitted the wheel. I noticed when I tightened it all up that there was resistance to rolling in the axle,I discovered the brake mount was scrubbing on the hub not running on the bearing as it should. I shimmed the bracket from the bearing face off the hub .001" and all was well. As I knew the gearbox was true to the motor due to the belt drive running true and the Kraft tech frame being true, chain & wheel alignment was a simple matter of tensioning the chain to .5" slack up and down and spinning the rear wheel if the chain ran on the links, tighten or loosen the right side adjuster & spin again, repeat procedure until the chain is centered on the sprocket. Re check tension, if the slack changed re tension noting how much you turn the adjuster rod and add or subtract that to the right side too depending which side of the chain runs on the sprocket, spin the wheel if all is true lock the adjusters.
I have decided on the color scheme and ordered the pearl powder & paint. A mate is a spray painter and a proficient artist too and he will shoot it and do the air brush work as well. No hints will reveal all when finished.
So at this stage it is sans the sheet metal again. Tomorrow I am taking it to the mechanic to put the motor back together and to get it running, fit the clutch and accelerator cables, kick start & exhaust. The tins are off to be shot on the weekend. Then I will make & fit the brake lines that is!!! when the forward controls arrive from Asian factory.
One side effect is the wife wants one too! So it looks like the next project will be following soon after completion. Due to her slight frame it will have to be a lighter bike she insists it look like a HD so a 250 Virago may be the go, light, cheap, plentiful supply and many ideas for her to ponder.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Ok no more work done frustrating waiting on others to do their bit.Ordered the kraft tech rigid custom guard after 3 weeks wait rang Ultima and was told was one of the last 2 ever to be made one was crushed in transit to buyer,but mine was on way still, got tracking number traced it went from Sydney to Melb and back to Syd. I thought the worst it had succumbed to the dreaded freight loaders complacency, item was marked "fragile" so pack it in the bottom of trailer and plonk a skid on top (I know from first hand experience I work in a freight depot) "Fragile" means take 2 steps closer to cage before throwing it in. But got it Friday packing worse for wear but item undamaged. Saw engine builder Thursday he's got all parts except for the forward controls, they arrived but were from different chrome batches & color was too different waiting for same batch set. So that's it till after Xmas. Due to the sale of the soft tail I am now ride less, will have to suffer withdrawal symptoms and the mocking of fellow members for leaving the top down on the mustang to compensate on the next few shovel runs. It's a hard life I know but I can suffer it.
mow.jpg
christmas_mustang.jpg
So for now Merry Christmas & happy new year to all readers, especially Prof & Bearcx.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”