39. Bike so far, exhaust brackets, petrol tap mods..

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

39. Bike so far, exhaust brackets, petrol tap mods..

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:53 am

Heres the Sporty as of 11.30pm 10/7/07...

Handlebar controls, brake lines, and half the wiring to go... and final seat upholstery...

A couple of interesting twists in bracket making came up when mounting the exhausts so here are some pics and explanations...
Looks like nothing special except that the bolt coming through the engine case was too short to fit a bracket... so what does one do?

Answer... make the hole in the bracket larger and turn down part of the nut on the lathe, so it goes through the bracket except for 1mm. This way you still get to have almost the original amount of thread, but can still fit on the bracket and pull it down tight.

This pic shows the nut in the hole... These brackets are bent the only accurate way. Cut them part way through where the bend is to go, bend them then weld up the gap.

The bracket polished and mounted...

Mufflers have slots for the mounting bolts. To stop them turning when the nut is tightened, I have welded tabs (same size as inside of slot setup) on the bolts. This allows bolts to slide into place, but they don't turn or wobble as they are tightened.

A second pic to show the tab welded onto the bolt.

Petrol tap mods...
Original tap for this bike exited down as the tap used to be in the middle of the tank... now that it is right at the end, it needs to exit to left otherwise it will hit the rear rocker cover.

I could buy a new tap, but they aren't cheap and I reckon it is do-able.
Here's the conversion. the orignal brass end pulled out and the body tapped for a UNF bolt plus some gas sealing tape. The left side is now tapped and a standard brass fitting installed.

An unmolested tap on left. My mods on right. Harley tap bodies are identical no matter which way they exit, making my job easier, but the tap body ugly , hence my slimmed tap on the right.

Because of the tank's slope along the top of the top frame rail, the original reserve portion is now very small, so let's try extending the inner reserve tube. Left seive is original... bottom half being reserve. I have found a piece of plastic tube that is a near fit (remember: never throw anyting away!) A further thin piece of tube (black) is used as a bush to make the main tube a tight fit. Right hand sieve is off a lawn mower.

A few other bits allow me to join it all together extending my reserve height by about two inches. to be safe, I've stuck it all together with POR 15 tank sealer!

Just have to soak it in petrol for a few days and see if it stays together!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:59 am

She's lookin real sweet ...

midnight7503

Post by midnight7503 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Andrew, no doubting your work is beautiful, and your a lot more talented than I, but do you ever sleep?? nah its coming along great, and even harder to believe its not for you, you have 1 very lucky boy there. :D
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks for the comppliments.
I'm posting detail about parts of the contstruction to encourage evyone to have a go and hopefully give you ideas and save you time trying to figure solutions to some of the things encountered along the way with any build.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

browder

Post by browder » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:59 am

Prof--that is lookin good! now let's see some pic's of it going down the road. i do like all the little details you've put to that bike been following it since i first found this site--can't wait for your next project.
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG !!

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:30 am

Paul took some video footage of it getting started for the first time and me taking it dwon the road... just waiting for a computer wizz to show me how to make it accessable on site.

I took it for a half hour ride tonight after a frustrating day trying to get front brakes to bleed, plus number of more successful little jobs. I need to reroute an oil line and there is a leak behind the gearbox somewhere.

Will take it to a brake place tomorrow.

She's got some good pickup There's a big gap between third and fourth, so good acceleration at llights and a nice tal 100k plus to gear... Rides very nicely with the typical long wheelbase handling in the corners.

... and put up a couple of pics soon
Last edited by Prof on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:35 am

Try here for posting your videos.
Click here http://photobucket.com/
And sign up for a account.
Pictures and videos can be downloaded and displayed easily on this site.
here's an example

Ride it like you can fix it.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:00 am

Nice work Prof. I like the turned down nut...very lateral

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:27 pm

Just wondering Andrew if this your last post, or picture post on the sporty ?

Each time I jump on the internet I check the '83 sporty' forum hoping for progress snaps of the finished product. :D

I'm hangin to see how impressive it is in all it's glory :)
Rock on !

Prof

Post by Prof » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:47 pm

Yes sorry Timbo. There's a lot to put on yet. I will get it completed. I'm still catching up on being away for a month having fun!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Cool, take your time.

I'll now rest up knowing they're on their way and'll be there one day when I least expect it.
Rock on !

Return to “83 Sportster project...”