Rectangular headlights...

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to any make.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Rectangular headlights...

Post by Prof » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:18 am

Twin rectangular headlights were a popular on classic choppers. Here are some examples...

These are Lucas...

Another Lucas style...

Cibie...

Another Cibie style...

Aris louvred...

Anyone know what brand these are?

Marchal.

Some guys ran a pair of Volksy reversing lights... not a good idea for night time though I think!

AEE also had their name on two lights similar to Marchal but with a small overhang over the top. The lights on the four choppers in the last pic are probably AEE as I think these are a bunch of AEE choppers with Tom McMullen from AEE on the left...

Very cool cruising all twin headlighted...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

KBG

Re: Rectangular headlights...

Post by KBG » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 am

I just sold a set on ebay NOS!

Still have a NOS bracket if anyones interested, I like the look of them on a long bike but I"LL never use it!
some meaningless dribble

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Rectangular headlights...

Post by Prof » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:40 pm

A few more 70's headlight mounting styles...

Aris triangular...

Sportster/SuperGlide light (quite good in that lens is rubber mounted)...

Bates 5 1/4 inch...

Twin round vertically mounted. Note that the lenses are the same so low beam would have still irritated on coming drivers. True low beam disperses the light through vertical and horizontal ribs in the lens and angles it to the kerb side. Lucas was one of the few lights that had a pair of clear lenses one of which dispersed the light. In the seventies most rectangular lights available in Australia, if they had light dispersing lenses were orange in colour, I assume because our laws required fog lights to be that colour not clear as in other countries... Fog lights also had a metal shield in front of the globe, I presume to reduce glare in fog.

Triples mounted on Ron Finche's 'Kaleidoscope'... the bike 'Baby' in the movie 'The Hard Ride" also had triple rectangular lights...

Twin Lucas lights on a short front end...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Fits 'n Bits; general...”