Santee Savior frames for Hondas?

'To the point' advice on what fits what, parts interchangeability and simple solutions to common problems...
This forum applies to Hondas.
Keep your post brief. You may include 2-3 clear cropped photos (max 600 pixels wide)...
neale

Santee Savior frames for Hondas?

Post by neale » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:34 am

Does anyone remember the Santee Savior frames made for the Honda 4s, and if so can you tell me anything good or bad about them?

Got an interesting possible offer today, not sure whether it was serious or not as yet, but one of the old guys at the boat shed was talking about an old bike with Santee softtail ( I'm presuming that's the Savior?) frame with a Hond K2(?) "pursuit" motor from the 70's, and I presume ape hangers from how he was describing the riding position, and he was making a crack about swapping my Aprilia for it.

If he WAS serious, it could be an interesting prospect, unless the Santee Saviors were terrible?

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks.

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

Tex

Re: Santee Savior frames for Hondas?

Post by Tex » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:37 am

Neale,

"Savior" frames were made by AMEN. Santee was a different company. Both were considered to be excellent frames.

I bought an Amen Savior (Save Your Asss) Honda 750/4 frame in the States in 1976 and built up a nice chopper with it. Had no problems at all with the frame. Welds were all good and the "plunger" type rear suspension gave a good ride.

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... .php?t=817

http://www.650motorcycles.com/amen.html

Bacca has/had one which he was working on. I'd jump at it if the guy is fair dinkum. But check it out first to see if its an AMEN or a Santee. AMEN also made a rigid frame. Both are "period" and well respected.
Tex
(Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:43 am

To add to what Tex says, the Santee Softtail was a swing arm setup with lowered seat rails...

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tex

Post by Tex » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Check this out Neale. :D Could be any one of these??? :shock:

http://www.hondachopper.com/gallery_mis ... e_ads.html
Tex

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Prof wrote:To add to what Tex says, the Santee Softtail was a swing arm setup with lowered seat rails...

I had 2 of those one in 1978 with a K2 motor in it paid $2000 for it, the other in 1985 paid $1000 with an F2 motor in it.
Silent Grey Fellow

neale

Post by neale » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks guys, I was only going on what Joe was saying, Santee softtail frame, Honda (K2?)"pursuit" motor from the '70's.

Actually, if it's a swingarm rather than plunger rear end, I think I'd prefer that, more likely to be able to get effective suspension that way. he never said savior or plunger rear end, I just assumed that as that was what I remembered the "softtail" chopper frames being in the day. But he WAS adamant that it was a Santee frame, so it may be worthwhile.

Think I may try to feel him out about whether he's serious about the swap or sale and try and get it, may be able to get SOMETHING on the road that way, and it could be a classic ;^)

Thanks again,

Neale
Neale

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Note that the Santee swing arm frame uses the stock Honda swing arm.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tex

Post by Tex » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:28 am

Santee "plunger" should look like this.........

http://www.chopcult.com/WarGhost/classifieds/57216/
Tex

78gold

Post by 78gold » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 am

OMNSHO
The plunger rear end was one of the best looking chop frames.
Not sure why I just really like the look of them and was thinking of fitting a plunger frame to my trumpy at one stage.

Those ones you posted would have been great Tex, also cheaper postage than a full frame. :roll:

Ride Safe
Nigel
Nigel
78 Gold

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:44 am

I have heard that most plunger brands have a tendency to twist in a bump, rather than rise evenly. I've ridden behind one bike where this was the case, but haven't experienced others, just going on what I have read.

Would be interested to hear experiences of others who have ridden them.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:59 am

I've had two Santee Swingarm hobbies, they were often referred to as softails. I also now. Of one on the road for 30+ years. would I have another, too right I would.. Good thing about them is they will take just about any engine.....

The fact that Honda swingarm ( and for that matter GS, Z and Other) fit is gold.

Your problem as with everything in a non standard frame in Aus is Rego....Numbers/ VIN it's what matters,

And while. Love the pic above with the diamond tank, if it wore a set of lowering blocks or ran a GS 750 swingarm, it would look 10 times better.

Good luck....I'm totally Jealous
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

neale

Post by neale » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:45 pm

OK first up, Nigel, what the hell is "OMNSHO"?? ;^)

I'm trying to get some more information about the bike and whether he's open to passing it on, unfortunately the swap wasn't likely to be a serious offer (if it was I'd be on it immediately), but if it isn't a basket case, he's open to parting with it, and the agreed price is workable I'll be making a serious try for it. (If it's just something cluttering up the shed to him I may have a chance)

On the rego crap, that's a constant :o( but I'm hoping the previous registration details MAY simplify the process a little (presuming no changes to the identified frame that it had when it was registered).

Oh well, here's hoping.

BTW: Some of you have mentioned that standard Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki swingarms can be used, anyone know off the top of their heads what headstem/front end the Santee frames use ( given that they're apparently a spinoff of the Santee Harley products, don't s'pose they still use the Harley gear? That'd be handy.)

Neale
Neale

78gold

Post by 78gold » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:34 pm

lol Neale, was waiting for a question about that,
was meant to be IMNSHO.

I am sure that makes much more sense.

Good luck with it,

Ride Safe
Nigel
Nigel
78 Gold

neale

Post by neale » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Ooooohhhh , Humble Pie, NOT ;^)

Yeah, makes more sense that way, and it may make a tidier rear end, but I rather doubt that the suspension would work anywhere near as well, I thought there was a very good reason that plunger rears only had a short run on production bikes?

Hopefully my mate has asked the guy about the Santee (and found time to have another go at the Mikuni), wouldn't mind having a go at it (and I'd love to have a running bike for Mushter).

Never know what may happen in this best of possible worlds ;^)
Neale

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Urban dictionary says...

IMNHO = In My Not So Humble Opinion

Learn something new each day.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Fits'n Bits; Honda...”